I'm in the southern US seriously considering buying a Tornado 1130 new. With the closest dealer 400 miles away, what kind of problems are common with these bikes? How long will she last before she dies? and What type of break-in is best used for this bike?
It's Italian so expect electronics to be the weak link. On the 900's the OEM battery is less than stellar and the battery cables are not beefy enough. My dealer upgraded both on my 900 as part of the sale. The 1130 tornado's are still pretty new to the market. Check on the Cafe and sport portions of the forum for more detail on the mechnicals of the 1130 motor. I have ridden an 1130 Sport and Cafe and like the power delivery on them better than on my 900.
Got my Tornado 1130 at May 26th 2007; rode the bike for 5'000 kilometers (3120 miles) since then. Except for two resets of the display ( Trip and Clock) within the first 500 Kilometers, there haven't been any problems at all. I ride the bike every day under every condition, also going to work.
I was also hesitant getting one at first, but that was just my prejudice :doh:
- Cosmetic oil leak from clutch axel gasket (will be replaced next winter).
- Turn indicator switch spring is sloppy (will be replaced next winter).
- Running too rich initially, so it was adjusted, now running 'smooth' (benelli-style) from 2.5 to 10krpm. Adjustment resolved original stalling and hick-ups completely.
- Suspension too stiff as delivered. I adjusted springs and dampers to weight, and I am pretty happy about the present settings (see elsewhere in the forum).
- Turning radius is huge.
- Speedo too optimistic.
That's all the 'problems' so far. This forum and local (Finnish) fellow Benelli owners are a treasure in helping to sort out issues.
- Will replace back tyre soon, most likely to narrower and taller profile Michelin Sport ct2. I think,
- To clean airbox.
- High beam too narrow, probably switch to xenon (will ask for advice first).
A pleasure to ride and an attraction on the streets