Benelli Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

still waiting for my "right" headlight, my fairings are still removed.

Colin told me to check the engine mounts (even my bike don´t suffer the problem of front end knock yet). Both, Colin and Errol told me a solution by monting a brace which is documented here: http://www.engenia.com.au/10_Diagnostics/02_Frame/FrontEndKnock.html (Errol, I guess you don´t mind if I insert the link here, right?)

Is it true that the outer diameter of the brace is 46mm? and the inner is 42,4mm (46 - 3,6 [2x1,8])? Actually, I didn´t find any bolt with this size. Or maybe the measures are not metric? Where are the bolts with this size? How many bolts do we have there? All the same size?

Sorry... I am totally puzzled now.

My bike is still under warranty. I am thinking wether I should fix the problem before it appears or just wait until it happens.

Anyway, can you give me a helping hand?

Thanks
Dirk

·
5,929 Posts
(Errol, I guess you don´t mind if I insert the link here, right?)
No worries

Is it true that the outer diameter of the brace is 46mm? and the inner is 42,4mm (46 - 3,6 [2x1,8])? Actually, I didnt find any bolt with this size. Or maybe the measures are not metric? Where are the bolts with this size? How many bolts do we have there? All the same size?
The OD is 17 mm, but I agree, the drawing was confusing. It didn't specify the wall thickness ..... (Does Now)
The (1) bolt is M10, so the ID could be anywhere from 10 to 13.4. The wall thickness on one side has to be reduced to allow it to fit snugly and allow the bolt to pass through.
I used a piece of black steel pipe.
OD = 17.2 mm, wall thickness = 2.2 mm Cut to length = 46 mm
My bike is still under warranty. I am thinking wether I should fix the problem before it appears or just wait until it happens.
I fixed mine before it became a problem. It's definitely a design fault, but easily corrected.

·
1,841 Posts
HI, the spacer is what it needs to prevent the front middle cast aluminium bracket from coming loose,it is a design fault as Errol says.
I am convinced that the side engine mounts to the cylinder head do become loose.If the bike has been serviced and the dealer has actually done what is meant to be done (ie including a check that a lot of bolts are tight! that takes a lot of time and therefore is often neglected) then there is no problem,but as I have said I have seen lots that are loose, in fact most of them, Wise old saying.....Prevention is better than cure !
If you have fairings off then it is easy to check.
It ruined my discs, If I bought a new one I would be checking all Known issues,as A stitch in time saves nine !(thats another wise saying !)
colin..

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys.

But - call me stupid - until now, I have no idea where THIS special bolt is located.Until now, I only worked on my Ducati Supersport which is a bit easier to work on, ;) As I didn´t remove the airducts yet and (I guess) the bolt is covered by the oil-cooler of my RS, i didn´t see it yet. I think it should be a centrally positioned one. Checking the workshop manual, didn´t show any picture or any sketch.

Now, I turned on the heater in my garage (still cold outside) and will remove the airducts which is obviously a must to go my way...

Maybe it is one located on this item here? Or am I totally wrong?

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, I removed the airducts. Still can not see ONE bolt which is responsible for the possible knock.

Maybe you guys mean these hangers at the side of the frame? If it is like this, I need TWO of the braces?

·
1,841 Posts
Hi, the brace is fitted between the 2 metal stops,the aluminium hanger bracket goes outside the stops and the bolt goes through, see pic marked below
The brace prevents the stops from closing in and therefore coming loose.
The part I have drawn in black is the frame stops,the brace tube is the red bit.

·
1,841 Posts
Check this one also, you need to loosen the smaller pinch bolt first (red arrow) then check big bolt (green arrow). Dont assume that they are tight just because they have paint marks lined up,mine had the marks lined up but were loose.!
Hope it now makes sense.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Colin,

you are my hero :clap:

If ever you are in germany and close to Cologne, let me know. The beer is on me. :gulp:

Thanks a lot.

Dirk

·
1,841 Posts
Thank you very much Dirk,I will remember that !:)
It is difficult trying to explain,but your pictures made it easy.
Please let us know if any were loose?
Colin...

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For all those, who are in the same situation (want to fix but don´t understand), I took some pics of the fixing. Maybe it is more understandable with this. Errol, if you want to copy it and insert it to your "bible", I don´t mind.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts