Benelli Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My TnT has developed a shudder in the front end during heavy braking. The Shudder only appears during the last few feet of travel before coming to a stop.

Last time this occurred I had the steering head checked under warranty and tightened and it seemed to go away but now it's back and getting worse again.

I jacked up the front end and took the wheel out to see if I could feel any play in the steering head bearing but it seems good. I did notice that a slight notch has appeared in the centre of travel which might be the problem.

Everything else, clamps, brakes, top nut, etc are nice and tight. It doesn't feel like a warped disk (no variation in lever feel) so I'm looking suspiciously at the headstock bearings.

But looking at the weird nut that holds the headstock together I'm thinking, how the hell am I going to that apart without a special tool.

Mike

·
3,085 Posts
Hi Mike

either a decent tool shop can source you a "reverse hex drive" socket or use a bit of correctly sized hex steel bar, one end in the headstock socket/nut, the other in a standard socket

·
Registered
403 Posts
??

Did somebody find that out during a test ride during a sale..??

·
Registered
73 Posts
Sounds like the same symptoms. Both Madwog and I have had our front brake disks replaced under warranty due to front end shudder.
If the headstock is loose you get a clunk from the front end each time you brake hard.(Had that too!)
Cheers Mike.

·
I'm firing on three
611 Posts
Mike,
I had a similar problem on my TNT which turned out to be the Triple tree nut under the handlebars, you have probably checked it but as reminder you must loosen the top fork clamps before tightening, I took my nut completely off and locktited before putting it back on, I had to make a spanner to fit the top of the nut (cannibalised socket)
If it was the head stock you can normally tell by rocking the bike with the front brake on while your finger is resting against the headstock (frame) and the top headstock nut if you feel “knocking” then it’s a bad sign.
The above suggestion is assuming you have checked your discs are bolted on tight and the wheel bearings are good.

Terry

·
1,841 Posts
My rs buggered the discs due to judder,it turned out to be the top middle front and the side of head mountings not tight.
I have seen lots of others loose since then including tnts,in fact most seem to be loose.

·
442 Posts
same i had warped disc's changed them and presto it was gone,
but lately sometimes it has come back (the shudder) but not all the times and not as bad,i do have to check them again or maybe change my
brake pads.i have had them in from new and have'nt changed them yet,
i'm at 26196km.

·
Banned
27 Posts
I did notice that a slight notch has appeared in the centre of travel which might be the problem.

But looking at the weird nut that holds the headstock together I'm thinking, how the hell am I going to that apart without a special tool.

Mike
Mike, prolly you're way past this stuff now but:
1. Read recently that lots of wheelie touchdowns can ding the race which creates a straight-ahead notch effect. Of course, TnTs aren't wheelie prone :D
2. I believe the correct generic tool for the triple tree nut (in Benellish the steering plate fixing screw) is a 16mm XZN triple square (12-point) spline bit, used on a lot of German cars (brakes & drive shafts). I saw a set for 12, 14, 16, 18mm on eBay UK for IIRC about £20, mine on order from Amazon in US for similar dinaro. There looks to be an 18mm or two on the TnT engine/frame. Most auto and tool stores here in US sell sets up to 10 or even 12, beyond that good friggin' luck.

For emergency use, an SAE threaded rod coupler works well, it's a hex with 5/8 (0.625) inches across the flats and it fits close to perfectly into the triple tree nut or screw, and is maybe 3 inches long so it's easy to use with a 5/8 deep socket and torque wrench. I placed some layers of cling film across the ally screw socket before pushing in, attempt at safe tool sex. 5/8 inch allen bit (probably better if not ball end) would work too, and probably a 16mm/0.630in allen, given 16mm is a rare size (in US sets anyway). The couplers are dirt cheap...

So any luck with improvised tools for the ring nut & lock ring? I also posted a new thread asking about this too.
vbr
Barry

1 - 11 of 11 Posts