Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I know this has been touched on before but the fuel consumption on my tornado is bloody dreadful.
I'm only getting about 25mpg - if that!
I'm assuming that the bike is set up correctly as I bought it from Bennetts but surely it should be doing better than that?
Any comments?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've been getting to 95 miles then the fuel light comes on, At weekend in the Isle of man it came on at 75 miles!:D :bawl:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The other day the fuel guage had just dropped to 2 bars so I stuck £10.00 worth (just over 2 gallons) of fuel in it.
I've just done 44 miles and it has dropped down onto 2 bars again! :confused:
Surely, my riding style can't be that bad?

·
Fyule
697 Posts
Hey Roly

I thought that about my RS too, but it seems to be normal, I get between 25 and 30mpg, depending on how it's ridden obviously. WIth any luck I will have a long boring slog on it tomorrow from Bennetts to Gloucester and back up to the Borders so will try to work out what I get over a bigger run.

cheers, Fraser

·
Registered
864 Posts
The other day the fuel guage had just dropped to 2 bars so I stuck £10.00 worth (just over 2 gallons) of fuel in it.
I've just done 44 miles and it has dropped down onto 2 bars again! :confused:
Surely, my riding style can't be that bad?
£10 of unleaded is quite a bit more than 2 gallons. If we base an average litre of unleaded at 95p. £10.00 equals 2.31 Gallons.

2.31 Gallons over 44 miles = 19.04 Mpg!! :)

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
just worked my trk out after a m25 run plus a few country roads not riding hard but not slow .33.5 to gallon ,now thats not bad ,is it ?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Sounds very poor. I am getting between 30 and 35 on the LE. Seems better with the new air filter and iridium plugs but that could just be cos the journey home was all motorway.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Hi guys,
I know this has been touched on before but the fuel consumption on my tornado is bloody dreadful.
I'm only getting about 25mpg - if that!
I'm assuming that the bike is set up correctly as I bought it from Bennetts but surely it should be doing better than that?
Any comments?
Just a thought, how many miles do you get out of your tyres.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Hi Tony,
I've never kept a bike long enough to need new tyres!
how long have you had the nelli. from past experience my fuel light goes on at about 120-130 ( miles) from full and i usually get another 25-35 in res.:clap: That might lift a few eye brows:rolling:

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've only had it since the end of January this year.
It has only done about 250 miles so is presumably still quite tight, but I don't recall my previous 53 plate one being so bad on fuel.
Perhaps I didn't notice because fuel was cheaper then :confused:

·
No good with spanners....
MV F3 RC, TNT 899
3,418 Posts
90 miles from full to fuel light sounds about right to me:bawl:

on a recent 320 mile trip found myself in the filling station 5 times just to be on the safe aide:doh: :rolling:

·
Registered
833 Posts
Hi, getting about 29mpg out of mine, its got 500 odd mile on it, my blade gets 45mpg but although its a great bike the nellis still does something that the jap bikes don't do, and i don't mean break down, its just a fantastic experiance every time i ride it, and my last car got 15mpg so anything is better than that.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had my Service done at Bennetts last June and since Rusty tweaked the fueling i am getting approx 125miles till the fuel light comes on, prior to service i was getting around high 90 to 100 miles. :clap:

·
5,934 Posts
I've just done 44 miles and it has dropped down onto 2 bars again!
How much fuel did you put in it then?

My light comes on when the gauge drops to 1 bar. At that point, it will take 12 - 12.5 litres (2.6 - 2.8 gallons), but there is still 5 - 5.5 litres left in the tank. The gauge is not in the least bit accurate. If it were, it would indicate 2 litres per bar - top bar goes off at 16 litres ..... light comes on at 4, bottom bar off at 2.

My fuel sensor started playing up around 30,000 km. The tip of a slider wears off, causing it to get stuck. That may be your issue, if the amount you add varies, & doesn't seem to match up with what the gauge is showing.

Start taking some real measurements so that you can track the fuel consumption more closely. It may indicate other problems. Mine slowly got worse over 12 months, then lost compression in 1 cylinder. It was trying to tell me that the valves were leaking.
When it runs excessively rich, carbon can build up on the valve seats, and cause them to leak.

Get the Air Fuel ratio checked, at various revs, under load (is best). That'll tell the real story.

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
Yeah I was just about to say that Errol but you beat me to it. I never get a chance to answer the techie questions :rolling:

Al:D

·
5,934 Posts
on a recent 320 mile trip found myself in the filling station 5 times just to be on the safe aide:doh: :rolling:
Hate to be critical (especially on this forum :D), but, you need to understand your bike a bit better. :doh:
If I had done that on my recent trip from Adelaide to Canberra, instead of filling 3 times (every 280 odd km), it would have been 10 ! I would have spent more time filling up, than travelling.
Besides that, it's hard to find 10 towns with petrol stations, between Adelaide and Canberra :doh:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts