Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
shop told me that the fuel float,, if there is one,, could be stuck in the tank.... it seem to go down when u go below that 2 bar level,, when the fuel is low in the tank, it does show 1 bar.. but when i fill it up,, it doesn`t go up, stays 2 bar.. ANY IDEAS,, before removing the tank to check it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
the fuel level is indicated by a resistance that is included in the fuel tank, no floater

Mine is showing always full tank, didn't have the time to take the pump out and check, I will have plenty of time very soon as is getting colder.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh, by the way, is that shop a Benelli one?

I wonder about all knowledges they DON'T have about these bikes.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the shop sell the bikes,, any many others, but they no not much as they have never sell one of them.so they know even less than us. do u know how to put a picture in the message....do u know what could be done for that fuel gauge.

Do u know were is the trip /mode button on the TNT... can`t find it ,, the manuel i got is for a tornado and shows it on the handle bar.

also,, is it normal that the display shows oil and blinks when u put the key on, without starting the bike?

thanks buddy.. enjoy..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cafe, if the connection to the tank is not made properly, the fuel light will remain on. I've run the clocks module alone while sorting out the resetting problem on the Tornado. Look HERE (top picture) & you'll see what it looks like. Yours?
The light on - suggests a broken wire at the tank.
2 bars showing on the gauge - suggests something a bit more complicated than just a wire off, although it could be a high resistance connection.
---- check the tank connector first.
---- then check the clocks connector.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the reply,, i looked at ur picture,, could understand what was happenning,, u seem to know lot more than me on the electronic side of it,,, my bennelli shop, told me there was a float in the tank,, how stupid these guys are. they know nothing about their product...... could u tell me how to access the connections in the tank,, or the clock( u mean dashboard???) i`m a bit concern about removing the tank,, is it easy???
let me know if u`ve done it before..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've never taken the tank off a TNT before, but expect it's the same as the Tornado, which I've done plenty.

Firstly though, just check if the wires to the tank/fuel pump are connected properly (not hanging out of the connector). You'll have to unbolt the tank - probably secured front and rear, then lift it high enough to see the cable coming from under the tank. There will be a connector at the free end. Make sure this is ok -
- connectors mated properly
- wires connected properly (give each wire a light tug to see if they are properly crimped to their respective pins).

Hopefully this is where you'll find the fault.

To remove the tank
- drain it first, or you'll have fuel all over the garage floor.
- disconnect the fuel pump cable at the connector described above.
- to remove the fuel line from the tank, you'll need the plastic fuel line quick release gadget. It should be in your tool kit. It's a collar with a notch in it.
- slip the gadget around the fuel line as it enters the tank, and push it up. This should release the plastic spigot.
- remove the breathers - probably one on each side at the bottom
- remove the tank

From here you're on your own. I haven't removed a fuel pump module yet, or tested one.

------------------------

If you need to access the dashboard connector, you'll have to get access to it's rear. The connector will be a 20 pin one mounted at the lower rear. On the Tornado you've got to remove the screen. On the TNT - you'll work it out!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Trip/Map Button is on the instruments display if fitted. Only 2006 models have one I believe.

About the tank removing, it is a tricky job if fuel in. The fuel pipe is way too short and you will need a third hand at least.

Fuel pump is easy to remove once teh tank is off , I have no clue about the resistance location, workshop book says "located in the pump"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey caferacer1130,your bike can only be a year old max throw it back to the dealer and get them to sort it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
fuel gauge

In the past we have had problems with the intruments causing incorrect display for the fuel level but that was on Tornado's which are different instruments. I have suggested your dealer orders a new set of instruments as the first thing to try.

Do not try to fix the problem yourself, the bike is under warranty, you may do some damage that will not then be covered.

Don't be hard on the dealer guys, this is all new to them, they are trying to do the right thing, as we all are, maybe they suggested a sticking float; not many people have had a Cafe Racer apart so just because we can't put our finger on the problem straight away, don't crack the shits.

You will find that Benelli and all the distributors are standing by the product, we are sorry that a company that has only been making motorcycles for a couple of years hasn't got it all perfect just yet, personally I think they have done a good job considering.

I have many Tornado, RS & TnT owners in Australia that have never had any problems with their bikes; I should know because I approve all the warranties here, I have never knocked anything back, hell I am still helping guys that are out of their warranty period!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Trip/mode button

Haven't you looked at you owners manual CD? The Trip/mode button on TnT's is the starter button once the engine is running. The period of time you hold the button in varies what it changes.

Have a play with it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: fuel gauge

I'll support Johnny O to the hilt. If Benelli had been operating for as long as Honda, I would expect them to have ironed out all of the supply / repair / knowledge bugs. With a bit of experience and a whole lot of effort, I believe they'll get it together.

Even Honda still makes mistakes. You still can't get the valve adjustment tool for a VF750 in Australia. This is a tool that makes it possible to adjust the valves to the correct gap - impossible to do without it! I had to import mine from California. The part number is unrecognisable by Honda Dealers in Oz!

cafe, if the problem goes beyond checking the connectors, give it to the guys who get paid to fix it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Hey johnny 0, I wish you were my dealer dont fancy moving to jolly old essex england do you :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

HI guys,, the problem with were i am, is that i didn`t by the caferacer from the dealer in perth, but from another dealer in goldcoast, they send it to me,, the dealer in perth have be the impression they didn`t even want to sell one, i had to chase them all the time to get a answer,,finally changed dealer and got my bike.

don`t know if they will bother looking at my bike, it`s on guarranty,, but different dealler,, does that make a difference

concerning the fuel gauge, i checked all the connectors,, and finally removed the tank,, not too hard.. just needed a hand to put the breathers back,, got the pump out,, saw the float,, 2 spring on each end,, no wires connected to to thin arms that touches against to plates,, tochange the resistance,, seem that on it`s own,, the float is not able to rise above that 2 bar corresponding level,, i will have to take it off again, and manually move the float to proof that all the rest works,, if it does, then i`ll see the dealer, see what they say,, i`m trying to do something.. instead of waiting months for the parts,, if they do something

i found the trip button,, the manul was on a cd,, i didn`t had the software to open it,, also, manuel is for tornado, not tnt,

thanks guys,, am i doing right...

how to post a pic here, i`ll show u the pump

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

If you go to the benelli web site you can download the TNT manual from there, which whilst basic does explain the function buttons ect, also normally the cd has both TNT and tornado manuals on it..........as for your local dealer I’m sure that any official dealer has to honour warranty irrespective of what dealer you purchased it from……. although I can appreciate its not very comforting taking your new baby to a dealer where you have no faith. :\

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
moving to England

Funny you should say that vtxbrit, my younger brother runs the official Holden (Vauxhall) Monaro race team over there, he has signed a deal to run Holden Commodore's for 2007 season and he wants me to come over and race one of them in some endurance races..... you never know :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

cafe, when you get it apart again, take some pictures. Then we can all see what's gone wrong - dealers included.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

i took some pictures,, of the pump,,i`ll get it out again,, but how to post u guys the pictures,,???

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

found the problem.. the fuel gauge is back on full,, just have to ride and see if it does go down,, and up.. when i`ll fill it again.. just want to show u in pictures what was the problem,, but i can`t find out how to put pictures on this message

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

cafe, check your mail box. Send me the pictures, and I'll put them on my website.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts