Benelli Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After a little guidance and parts from this very website i finally bolted my tre-k back together today with rebuilt fuel pump, i held up the fuel tank while my mechanic mate connected the fuel line with a satisfying click.We were careful not to crush or snap anything until it was time to turn the key, the moment of truth .The pump primed and after a number of attempts the benelli burbled back into life!!
hold on one moment. i,ve got a fuel leak? I've fitted a brand new fuel hose from italy £55! and it seems to be leaking from where the hose joins the elbow (hose side),i left it alone for an hour ,tried it again and its stopped leaking, i twiddled it a bit and some fuel sprayed but if left alone was ok, this is with the engine running, it won't leak with pump pressure, only now i've noticed it's leaking badly from the banjo end,like a lot and i believe it's from the hose as i did that banjo up snug with new crush washers too
Now i'm thinking is this new hose so old stock that it's brittle and leaking but as the petrol softens it up it's sealing itself, If it does stop by itself can i ever trust it? i don't want to look like a fireball going down the street.
This union is extremely dangerous and a major weak point . I'm very angry that a new part failed after all the work i've done, and also that it could have resulted in loss of bike , injury or even death. the vendor of this part may not be at fault as they can't check everything but i'm still pissed and they should have some accountabilty .The question is now do i trust this hose if it stops leaking, that means checking on every ride, should i try some sort of clamp, or do i make something up thats a little more custom
Bicycle part Auto part Tool Metal Composite material

·
Registered
893 Posts
When I looked at mine (imo) the rubber outer cover was just that a cover to protect the inner. And the plastic inner(nylon or polyurethane?) was doing the work. I wouldn’t trust it if it is leaking now.

·
Super Moderator
7,816 Posts
Hi Marco, That's not so good!!!
I have a new spare fuel hose if you want to try a different one.

Laurence

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I replaced my fuel hose with a 500mm piece of unleaded fuel line cost me £5 .
Kept the original fittings each end and used hose clips £3 a pair . No leaks 15000 miles later .
Just a thought I’d add this for future viewers .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts