Benelli Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all again :bow:

here's another story to keep you thinking. When I bought the CR it ran rough ... to say the least. Finally two months ago the mechanics found that the stepper valve in the fuel line that richens up the mixture when the bikes cold, had in fact been stuck on since day one, meaning that the bike was running rich all the time. (I wonder what it will be like with a normal mixture ? ......:p )

Anyway, an order was placed with the Australian importer (Stoney Creek Powersports) to get a new part. Now, two months later the factory is still saying the cannot supply.

I'm figuring this is a part they probably don't make and probably get from one of their suppliers. Anyone have any idea who might actually make them ?

IF I can find out, I might be able to go directly and bypass the factory all together.

ciao
Derek

·
Registered
146 Posts
I presume you mean the stepper under the airbox ?
(I'm also presuming a similar setup to that on the Tornado here -- since the engine is essentially the same)..

if so -- I'd be fairly sure it's the same as on any of the Triumph range - Speed Triple, Tiger, Daytona, Sprint, etc...

it's referred to as an IACV on those bikes (Idle Air Control Valve)..

Normally when you put the key in the ignition - or take the key out - you can hear it clicking back and forth..

only think to watch out for is that the early Triumphs (pre 98/99 ?) had a stepper motor with a different degree of precision / number of steps -- so I'd try to get one from a later bike !

If you have a TuneBoy cable and software -- it also has a button you can press to test the IACV..

HTH

T

·
1,841 Posts
drekka, the "stepper" is a valve and stepper motor, the ecu tells the motor to move in set degrees which opens and shuts the valve to enter more or less air from the airbox into the throttle bodies. It controls only air, the ecu also would adjust the amount of fuel it is injecting as it opens the stepper. The richening of mixture is by the ecu/injectors,from receiving data from its sensors (water temp air temp etc )
You can see the stepper if the airbox lid is removed and with the engine running you should see a little white plunger go in and out as you open and shut the throttle if it is working. On a new bike loose conection would be more likely than faulty part.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeup your right, I just checked the workshop manual. I must have been confused by all the mechanic talk about fuel mixtures and stuff. :)

·
1,841 Posts
Hi again, I was just trying to explain the principle of the stepper;) , its worth having a look to see if it is moving. When it is idling it will be partially open and when the throttle is opened it opens more. It is made by jci (johnson controls) but i think they have sold to someone else i think i read on here somewhere ? Try emailing BENELLI direct !!!!????;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts