Benelli Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I've posted a few questions now about my bike etc but although its due its next 6000 mile service in under 1500 miles I've got one more question if anyone has any idea's or has had similar experiences.
When I ride the bike obviously going right through the rev range :p the engine is fine, again if i ride around town between 2k and 5k its fine, but sometimes in almost any gear above 2nd at around 3k as I keep a constant throttle or im accelerating slowly the engine makes the most god awful noise like someone just threw a bunch of nails on the top of the pistons!! If I then accelerate or shut off the noise goes straight away. Im getting all paranoid but havn't stopped riding her just yet. Thing is you start noticing little noises that you never did before and now im freaking out cos I keep thinking I'm hearing a tapping noise at low revs.

Maybe I should be booking up this service a little early?? Its done less than 2k since its last one though, and although I do ride err progresive at times I always keep an eye on oil, water warming up etc

Oh cheers Johnny O about the knockin front end issue. what you said cured it 100%

Dean

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: noises

If the noise goes away above 5k, I wouldn't think it was the clutch basket falling apart. The noise would get worse. Ask Taksil. It'd sound God-awful starting it as well.

How about pinging? That would go away if you button off, but usually continues if you open it right up. Then again, it could be a wierd combination of fuel mapping and ECU settings in that rev range.

I'd get it serviced, and maybe put it on a dyno to see if it could be tuned out.

Good luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi guys thanks for the advise and reply. It isent down on power and runs typically fine (occasionally misses at tickover but ive been told thats not a prob and can be sorted on nex service). The clutch seems ok so im 99% sure its not that. However at low revs upto around 4k it is a little ticky as such. It made me paranoid but a local bike shop said these engines are all quite noisy. I think an early service is they key ingrediant here but it annoys me as it wasn't done more than 2k ago - k meaning miles by the way. Its not getting worse so Ill keep riding it but will book up end of the month.

I possibly wondered if it was maybe a valve mechanism in the airbox to do with noise restrictions?? Im not sure if its fitted to these but read up on something like that on another bike. Or maybe cam chain tensioner...Oh i dunno im guessin now.

Dean

Oh bike is a 2003 (03 plate). Bought with 2500 miles. Has 4700 miles now since just before Xmas. Did a trackday on her too but always been careful with oil/water etc and she doesn't drink a drop. Its already had recalls on the stand and clutch from reddog a local tre dealer to me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts