Benelli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Big :hiya: to all the members

I saw the 1130 tornado first time at the excel bike show on Sunday and feel in love with the shape of the bike. Although it has too much green for my liking and its exhaust came from last century. Coupled with the asking price of 1 pound short of 10 grand, it will end up burning a too large hole in my wallet. So I thought it’s just another dram bike I’ll never own.:bawl:
Went through auto trader that night just for curiosity, I was shocked how much the 900 is going for! Also I think the colour combo looks better than 1130 (green/sliver).
So spend last couple days phoning dealers and pouring over all the posts here. I like to say big thank you for all the knowledge I gained though your discussion.:bow:
I currently have a 06 Aprilia rsv and the p/x price the dealer give me is shockingly low. so am not looking to sell it for a tornado, not after I spent this winter upgrading it for summer time fun.

so the bikes I found in my budget are:
06 tornado tre green/sliver 1500m £5499 KJM superbike 173 miles from where I’m
06 tornado tre green/sliver 1799m £5299 Bennetts 144 miles from my house
03 tornado tre green/sliver 814m £4999 On yer bike 34 miles from my house

the first 2 bikes have 1 year warranty left so offer a piece of mind.
the last is the cheapest & has lowest mileage buy no warranty.
I think they are all 03 model.

I have to phone them up to check all the problems you guy talked about has been sorted out. Given a choice, which one would you buy?

am not looking to sell the tornado, this bike to me is a work of art (apart from the exhaust, but than again no art is perfect). I’ll ride it few time in summer, and keep it in door the rest of the time so I’ll have a :D on my face every time I look at it.
my only worry is there is no benelli work shop near north London, I don’t fancy shipping the bike 170 miles for repair. Do you guys know any good benelli workshop in my area?
I also had a look at 03 tornado le for £8500 at 3 cross which is drop dead gorgeous, but I don’t think I will ever ride her if I buy it, so it will end up in my study room. so I might as will buy a le poster from eBay & hang on the wall.
There is a yellow 05 rs KJM is selling for £5999, it’s probably is a better bike compared to the tre due to the higher/modern specs. But I prefer the green/sliver colour than the yellow. beside, am not going to ride the tornado hard enough to need top spec, that’s way am keeping the rsv.
Sorry for the long post, but very much wants a tornado and sort her out before April so I can have twice the fun with 2 Italian bikes (if only I can ride both at the same time). Also looking to become a regular part of the forum too. So thanks for reading and can I have your thought to the short list please.

·
Administrator
972 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Decisions decisions! Tough ain't it?

I too have (had) Aprilia Milles before a 2000 R and a 2002 R. I absolutely loved that bike. Am thinking I will end up like you with an older 900 as they are actually going for quite a steal right now if I can find one. Since I am not in the UK, I'll let the other nuts around you advise you. :)

Cheers!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
:rolleyes:
Welcome to the forum! Decisions decisions! Tough ain't it?
Ya I know, but is not like am buy a rice burner, go into local dealer; pick a model; pay and ride away. With no second thought about reliability; warranty; long wait for parts and find a pool of oil under the new bike next morning.
I think I better stop or I'll log onto Honda web site & looking for VFRs.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
OnYerBike should be able to carry out any workshop work for you...it's where I got my service done last time! I have a friend who is one of the sales men there, Mark, drop him my name if you like (PM me for full details) and he might - no promises - be able to sort something out for you!

Andy

That said, what I have heard about Russ's abilities (from Bennetts in Barnsley) you wouldn't go far wrong with buying from them! - Even the guys at KJM laud his spannering capabilities!

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Hi and welcome to the Forum

I personally would go for any of the top 2 - KJM and Bennetts are sound - My personal preference would be the one from Bennetts tho - I am sure (knowing what bit I do about Rusty Russ there) that aftercare would be 2nd to none - albeit 150 miles from your door, I am now going to use Bennetts for all future work on my TRE (they are around 50 miles from my door)

I notice Andy (Tornadotre) recommends on yer bike and I am sure that other folk on here will probably add their bit in too over the next few days.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Tornados

:) Hi born2ride,
Just to mix things up even further-you can have my 2006/06plate RS for £5900 if you like. Regd June so still got loads of warranty left, only done just over 1700miles and has never missed a beat (RSs seem to have fewer probs in general).
Comes complete with about £750 of extras. Std exhaust (never even fitted), Benelli titanium sport can, CCC carbon can+carbon exhaust hanger & Akrapovic carbon can strap.
Also has Sbk tinted double bubble screen and carbon chainguard besides all the std RS extras.
All documents,service receipts & standard parts are there as well.
Bike is in showroom condition-pics in members gallery.
Selling cos i need to raise money for business expansion and its worth more than my R6 (which'll at least keep me on 2wheels till i can afford another Italian)
Give me a yell if you want or PM me.
Cheers, Nigel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
06 tornado tre green/sliver 1799m £5299 Bennetts 144 miles from my house

This one is mine Russ is a top guy and has done all the recalls etc. The only reason I am selling it is I am looking at buying a Cafe Racer.

It has a factory fit alarm and A Laurence White tank pad.
So this makes it £1350 cheaper than new. I purchased this on the 30/05/2006
If you want to know any more

email me on [email protected]

·
1,228 Posts
Le

I would go for the LE as at 8500 its a steal. Carbon fibre cripping from it, Marchesini rims, Ohlins suspension, magnesium, etc etc. By the time you did all that to the standard model you would be in the 12 to 14k range. Besides, that LE was the owners of 3X and my LE doesn't seem to have the problems the standards do. Also, it has covered 3000 miles so it is not a museum piece. One mans humble opinion.....go for the LE!!!!!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Dealer or private?

Hi -
I'm another one who got a Tre after an Aprilia RSV - they make a nice pairing!

If you are prepared to buy privately rather than insisting on a dealer, you could try mine! Bought new in July '05 from 3X. Other that replacement instruments (under warranty), it has been pretty much faultless and a real pleasure to ride. (around 3k miles) I can no longer justify having quite as many bikes as I do (6) so something has to go. Best offer, starting at £4999??
I'm in Bristol, just the other end of the M4...
cheers

·
903 Posts
Hello!

:p

:hiya: Born2ride, welcome to the forum.

You have chosen the best colour in my opinion, have you though about buying a brand new one for £6,000.00! :ele:

A new one comes with two years warrenty so you will not have to worry, especially if you make sure all the known modifications/updates have been carried out.

Good luck in your decision.:D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thank for the welcome guys.

To johnyrottin
I would dearly love to by the LE as it’s a bargain price. But I’m not prepared to let go the RSV to free up the cash for it. So I have to let someone else to pick up that bargain.:(
I only wish I found the LE out 6 moths ago before I brought the RSV. I would had kept my Aprilia Falco and brought the LE. Than trade the Falco for the Aprilia v4 when it come out next year.:doh:

I need to write down all the problems you guy experienced with your tornado, and ask the dealers if they have been sorted out on their bikes. Bit busy now, but I’ll will try to get it down by this weekend.

To njay rs
That is one gorgeous bike you have, love the way you sorted out the rear indictors & reg plat, real ingenious.
Ya I’m interested. But I still prefer the sliver and green colour, and I need to take out a finance to purchase the tornado.
I’ll phone around to see what kind of loan I can take out to cover the short fall. There are defiantly more scope for modify the RS than TRE. I think I’ll add the brembo racing clutch and brake master cylinders plus brembo HP brake callipers to it if I get her. Oh and some funky stealth brake discs I saw at the excel show.
Talking about R6, there is a dealer in my area gone under because of their car franchise. They had a new 06 models red & white R6 unregistered going for just over 5 grand.:clap:

To Larsen
Thanks for the offer, like I said, I’ll phone around to see what loan deal I can get for buying private.
I saw some pics about pro-oiler under the name of Laurencewhite'. I’m not sure if is you, I thought it was some kind of fancy quickshifter at 1st, kind make Scottoiler look like a stone age invention.:D

To LloydBenton
Ya I thought about buying a new one. But I can safe 1 grand buying a slightly used tornado in very good condition with all the problems sorted out, than owning a new bike & have to go through some the problems you guys had already. That way I don’t consider the 1130 tornado; I don’t want become a prototype tester for Benelli. I can’t think they have all the problems sort out on the new bike just because there is a new parent company.
But if there is a 0% finance deal on the new bike, i might take it.
So thanks for all the replays guys, please keep them come in.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Born2ride

I bought my 03 Tornado off Russ Bennett of Bennetts Motorcycles in October 06. It is absolutely sorted. Buying one of these bikes requires a customer service second to none.
Buy a bike off Russ and the customer service is just that...second to none.
I live in Norfolk, but my bike will be going back to Bennetts whenever it needs a major service (and hopefully nothing more than that).
Get the 06 off him, and start riding it.

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
Yinuo,

Sorry for not noticing sooner but let firsty say hello and a big welcome to the forums:bow:
I would defo forget about the bike with no warranty. It's just not worth it. As others have said B's or KJM are worth talking to. I wouldn't think twice about jumping on the bike and nipping down to Wigan from Edinburgh just to let Glen (from KJM) have a nosey around the bike.
Get yourself one in time for the good weather and prepare to grin like a grinny thing in Grinsville when you nip out on it;)

Welcome again buddy:)

Al:D

·
1,228 Posts
Any choice

At he end of the day, as long as you are grining like an idiot under your helmet it won't matter what one you get. Your choice of buying one with 2 years warrenty, in my opinion, sould be the best choice considering the "teething pains" most have had to go through. Also, just in case you didn't read the posts way back when, the greenand silver ones not only look better but have proven to be faster, have more horsepower and pull chicks better than any other color.

John
Riding a Japanese bike is like having sex with a condom, once you get old enough you can afford not to and understand what you have been missing!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank Big Al

Once I found out more about the bikes in KJM & B’s and have the finance sorted out, I’ll go up there see the bike myself. If they are as good in the flash as they are in the pics. I’ll buy one & get all the details sorted out.
If the weather is nice, I probability ride up there on the weekends with a mate for some fresh air. It will be good to get out M25 for a change. That is as long as I can fix my quickshifter problem.
But I’m also interested in the RS NJAY RS is selling. I think it’s a better spec bike for the money, if only its come dressed in green & sliver.:eek:
So if the dealer’s finance is good, I will buy the Tre off them. But if I can get a cheaper loan elsewhere, I’ll buy the RS off NJAY RS.
By the way where is this Grinsville place you are talking about? Had a search on AA road plan but can’t find it. :rolling: Mind you if it’s up North, they probability haven’t got around mapping it yet.:ele:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Buying one of these bikes requires a customer service second to none.
You are soo right, thats why I want to find out ALL that can and has gone wrong with the Tornado before I buy one. So i don't get a piece of expensive scrap that looks good but doesn’t go any where.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Also, just in case you didn't read the posts way back when, the greenand silver ones not only look better but have proven to be faster, have more horsepower and pull chicks better than any other color.
Ya I remember seen that post some were, I also remember the green paint seems to come off more easily than any other colour as well.
Can you guys tell if any of you had the same problems on the RS please?
Cheers

·
Super Moderator
7,770 Posts
Hi Yinuo, welcome to the forum and Benelli ownership (well almost)

It seems like you have a talent for breaking Forum records already:-
  • The most responses in the shortest time:clap:
  • At 24, you must be one of the youngest owners:clap: :clap: (there are some real old farts on here by the way..............well hello LLoyd:rolling: )
  • owner with the strangest name :clap: :clap: :clap: (although Toby Chi comes close)
Anyway back to your questions:-

Most of the bikes supplied in 2004 and thereafter should have had the main 'fixes' known at that time done to them before they left the factory.

The 2003 models were more problematic so you would need to make sure that all the work had been properly carried out which may prove to be a little difficult?

The bike colour is a personal thing It's what ever takes your fancy on the day I suppose (but I'd buy a green and silver one myself, cause I did....twice!!!!) If you do decide on NJAY's RS remember and get him to give you the dark glasses that should come with it (you'll need them every time you look at it.........sorry Nigel):)

As far as Dealers go, you can't go wrong with either Bennetts or KJM I take mine to KJM for servicing and that's a round trip of over 400 miles (and I can't wait for my next service!!!) Have a word with both of them and find out if they would be prepared to pick up the bike if it develops a fault? (either in or out of waranty)

Finaly, the pro-oiler I can thoroughly recommend. In fact It would be the first thing that I would fit to any new bike I own if future. Check out http://www.pro-oiler.com/

Let us all know what you end up with................ Oh, and there's another record you have just clocked up ...............probably one of my longest posts!!!!!:clap: :clap:

·
903 Posts
Wipper snapper!

:p

24! I am not having a wipper snapper on this forum, Admin do something!!!:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts