Benelli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so was having a lovely ride from the black mountain over to Llandovery to Brecon and Abergavenny and my gearbox just made that sound you don’t want ..
luckily my pal is en route to rescue my sorry ass ..

To be continued…. A98B2BF3-76F5-4615-B03B-9007E3DE834E.jpeg

·
Registered
363 Posts
Apart from the sound what are the symptoms? I had two gearbox problems on my Tre-K recently. First whan it would not engage any gear but was stuck in first (clutch still worked) and second when it would not change up or down. First fault was a broken bolt holding the gear change drum. New drum about £100. I have the old one which would need the broken bolt drilling out if it were to be re-used. Second was caused by the neutral switch breaking off and jamming the gearbox. This was more traumatic as the whole swinging arm had to be removed and the offending switch carefully removed by a local engineering firm. New switch now in place and swinging arm fully serviced. These events are part of the reason that I'm trying to sell up as I just want something slightly more reliable. Although these faults may or may not be related and the bike has now done 28,000 miles most of which were trouble free. I see that you had similar Ascerbis handguards fitted. Style over function again?
Can I interest you in a Tank Bag and tank cover for yours? Going for £50.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Oh bugger Rick. They don’t normally seem to have too many gearbox issues. Does engine still run ok in neutral?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Is the clutch side ok? It’s weird the way alternate teeth are shot on that gear. There are a couple of gear sets on eBay.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is the clutch side ok? It’s weird the way alternate teeth are shot on that gear. There are a couple of gear sets on eBay.
Clutch side and main engine is fine .
I’ve a feeling a selector bent in past causing pressure on one of the gears with a rebate to sheer parts into the gears

·
5,899 Posts
Never seen that before.
Were there anything out of the ordinary that might, in retrospect, have suggested impending disaster?

·
Registered
744 Posts
Was it a scary wheel locking thing? Or just horrible noises and no drive? There have been selector problems or bent forks is it possible 2 gears could be selected at once and then stripping one. I know when I pulled my 1130 clutch apart one of the broken spring ends was missing, could something have got into the gearbox (can’t remember if there are any large holes between the two sides)

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Never seen that before.
Were there anything out of the ordinary that might, in retrospect, have suggested impending disaster?
Hi Errol ,
Absolutely no warning which makes it even more confusing was going like a train up until the moment it happened.
Mind you in the engines distant past under Ferrets ownership it had to be rebuilt after a huge cat overheat meltdown , top end barrels pistons ect .
My guess would be the box had a bit of stress then also the strainer had a lot of plastic/ hard rubber in it .(in can top)
luckily all the bits were in the sump and the crank cases are intact .. phew!! .
Got a box on order from Italy 🇮🇹. 44247827-B215-4C08-9C93-BCA875ED55C7.jpeg

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Was it a scary wheel locking thing? Or just horrible noises and no drive? There have been selector problems or bent forks is it possible 2 gears could be selected at once and then stripping one. I know when I pulled my 1130 clutch apart one of the broken spring ends was missing, could something have got into the gearbox (can’t remember if there are any large holes between the two sides)
Hi Glynn ,
Just horrible noises and no drive .
one of the selectors is bent now due to the bits jamming ect I guess , but you never know it could of been slightly before, however there hasn’t been any signs in the 21000miles ridden.
I’ll be giving her a couple of oil changes after 50miles or so when the new gearbox goes in soon .

·
Registered
744 Posts
Don’t know what you are talking about? If I touched your bike my hands would be cleaner after touching it than before!

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Don’t know what you are talking about? If I touched your bike my hands would be cleaner after touching it than before!
A similar thing happened to my wallet it used to be full until I sat on it too … weird … 🤦‍♂️😂😂😂

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How much was that Rick. I had one, but let it go about 4 months ago, strangely it went to Finland.
Pete I paid £215 plus the dreaded import fee and vat … why oh why did we leave the EU ! .. still superb service and the gearbox was practically brand new .

1 - 20 of 29 Posts