Benelli Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone out there tried different gearing on the Tre? Mine has the stock gearing (sprockets, that is) and it seems to be geared a little tall - I hit about 112mph at redline in 2nd gear. I'd rather have more torque and sacrifice top speed, since it's unlikely I'll ever max out on speed on this bike. Any suggestions on alternate gearing and sprocket suppliers?
thanks -
mark
'05 Tre #11 (US)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: gearing

Hmm, a search on "sprocket" or "gearing" turned up nothing other than this thread. Guess I'll just start going through the archives by hand.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: gearing

If memory serves me right, I think Johhny O had provided advice on dropping to 15 on the front sprocket and going up to 43 on the rear.

cheers
Tax

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah after reading this i found the same thing happened when searching for old articles, yet I'm sure at some point I've seen something about gearing. Either ways something that I always find works is to drop the std gearing sown slightly. I found my tre (not RS) although has a very usable power can be a little down when you start pushing it in the upper gears (on track of course ;) ). You can either change the rear or the front sproket but there are two advantages with changing the front only. The first and probably most important is cost. Fronts are around £13 yet rear can triple that. Second and dont quote me on this but something about the way the chain rotates makes it better to alter the front than rear in terms of losing power but again we are talking minimal differences. 1 tooth on the front is equivilant to changing approx 2/3 on the rear. You'll find just 1 tooth on the front will be a considerable difference and 2 on the front maybe too much. You have to go bigger on the back yet smaller on the front. Lastly and im sure you already knew this dont change just a individual sprocket if the chain and other sprocket has done alot of work otherwise you'll munch up your new bit of metal instead buy a complete set.

Hope this helps and keep me posted on your thoughts and results

Dean

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. One thing of interest is that if the ratio of rear to front is an even number, you will get uneven chain wear. I had this happen on my Ducati 748 when I went from the stock gearing of 14/39 down to 13/39. Not good for the chain.

I'll try dropping to 15 on the front and see how I like it. So which sprocket manufacturers make sprockets that fit the Tre?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Front sprox

I had to get a 15 tooth for racing and in the end sent my original as a pattern to Talon (UK) and they made one up for me. Same splines / thread as a Duc but DIFFERENT offset. Rears not a worry, but Benelli official parts only go up to 45 tooth I think. Also too small a front sprocket will knacker your chain too. I wouldn't go smaller than a 15. Some 600 racers go to 14 and yes, their chains don't last long!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts