Benelli Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I just thought I'd pop my head around the door to say hello to everyone as I've just discovered this forum about 20 mins ago:)
I'll be posting quiet a bit on here (hopefully) so I'm looking foward to getting to know you all a wee bit better:)

Ching ching

Al

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
greetings

hello big al,how do you do.
welcome to the forum of die hard benelli owners or idiots as probably aprillia and mv and ducati owners think we are.
zebo.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies folks:)
Just a wee bit of info on myself ......
Dude, 39yo (but I look younger:D ), living in Edinburgh,Scotland and riding a Tre. This is my first Italian bike so the experience is different from my previous bike (GSXR6 99 model). I bought the bike second hand, although it had only done 619 miles so it was just like new and I love it. There are a few niggles though which have got me concerned but I'm sure I'll get them sorted8) (With a bit of luck it'll all get done under the warranty:\ ).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ALLO

Hi Al,

Welcome to 'the Club'

It's good to know that there's another TRE owner in Edinburgh.

What sort or 'niggles' have you got? Are they anything out of the ordinary?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello Al,

I think we have all experinced nigglwes of some kind or another, hopefully yours are just minor ones, unlike my ones were!

Thankfully all now seems to be well, and despite a cold day here in Germany today, I Managed to put another 100 miles on my new engine in preparation for the 'second' first service!

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm, I guess I'll be calling myself an idiot, as I also own an Aprilia (Mille-R), an MV (Brutale), and a Ducati (748) ;-)
Welcome to the crowd.

mark
Oakland, CA, USA
'05 Tre

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Weird, my "748" got turned into an emoticon???? Better go out to the garage and make sure the bike still looks right!
:))

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: ALLO

The 'niggles' that I'm having laurence are to do with a few things. One of them is the rev counter. It seems to have a life of it's own and can easily jump from an idle position of one and a half thousand revs up to three thousand without any change to the engine note or throttle position:( I got told by three cross motorcycles that it was just characteristic (sp?) of Italian bikes. I'm not too sure on that one though. The other one I have only just started to experience is with the gearbox (i think). When coming down the gears from a fairly decent speed (100mph +) the bike seems to make a noise which sounds like the chain coming off. The vibration through the foot peg on the left is quiet hard and it makes a real racket when this happens.
One other thing that I got told was that there had been a recall done on the Tre because of the difficulty in locating neutral. I don't know if this is true but finding neutral on mine is a nightmare. (I miss my suzuki gearbox).

One last thing Laurence ..... where abouts did you get your servicing done? I need to get mine done but I had hassle with Alvins in Edinburgh a wee while back and I wasn't sure if I wanted to give them my custom again;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: ALLO

Ah, the difficult-to-find-neutral problem. Everyone has it. This is quite characteristic of a cartridge-style gearbox designed for racing. After the bike is good and broken in, it gets a lot easier (at least it did on mine, which now has over 3000 miles on it). I can even get it into neutral from 1st or 2nd while sitting still just by "creeping" a few inches (releasing the clutch just to the friction point) and nudging the shift lever.

I still think the clutch push rod is mis-designed and is a tiny bit too short. I'm surprised there hasn't been a recall on this.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
service

hi and welcome big al

I have had my Tre since October and it will be due its first service soon. I will probably be taking it to KJM as they are the official importers and have full workshop facilities. I was going to get in touch with Laurence to see when his next service was due and if it fitted in was going to hire a van to take the bikes to Wigan I,m sure there would be room for 3 bikes if you are interested drop a message with your e-mail into my inbox.

Cheers
John

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: service

Hi Al,

Check to see that your bike has had the newer clutch actuator arm fitted (The small arm on the left side of the engine that the clutch cable connects to, is it silver alloy or black steel. The new conversion kit is the black steel item)

Mine's already had this done when I purchased it from KJM in 2004.

It still is a bit difficult at times to find neutral but it's supposed to be a lot better than the original item & you do get used to it after a while.

KJM done my annual service in October last year and I was really impressed with them. It's a 400 mile round trip and an over night stay .....but if you get good weather :D

John,

I wouldn't mind sharing a van but It will probably be a while yet before my next service, best guess at the mo would be late summer, unless I take it over to Europe again for a wee trip beforehand (now where did I put that Michelin Guide?)

How's yours going? Have you had it down at East Fortune much or are you waiting for better weather?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi big bad al nice to another idiot sorry mistyped that enthusiast. No realy these bikes are realy worth the trouble just for the crowd gathering effect at meets.Hope you enjoy your as much as the rest of us do:D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: service

Hi Laurence

Going fine just a small problem with the clocks (there's a surprise) they tell me that I have done 80,000 miles since October (could viod my warranty since it's not even had it's first service yet) apart from that all well and the nice men fron KJM say that they will replace the clocks no probs, weather not been too clever over the winter so no more track time (for the TRE) apart from the fact that I was "running in" a 125 race bike and managed to highside myself (who was it that mentioned cold tyres to the other riders and to be careful, oh it was me!!! DOH!!!).
Took it for a little cobweb busting run today and it's true what you said about not being able to go anywhere without it being the topic of conversation still love it!!!!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
KJM motorcycles

John,

You haven't just dropped off your Tre at KJM by any chance have you? I was speaking to them on the phone today about some problems that I'm having and they mentioned that someone else from Scotland has just dropped off their bike on a trailer:D
I may have to do the same as my clocks are showing more miles than I've actually done (not that much more but more nonetheless). My wee service light hasn't come on to remind me of what I should be getting done and Glen (the mechanic) at KJM reckoned that I might need to get the clocks replaced too. I reckon the gearbox may be slightly mashed from what I could pick up from speaking with Glen and I may have problems with the slipper clutch also:(
Still, I'm waiting on Brian from KJM getting back to me with more details to let me know what to do with the bike.
I have to say that from speaking with these guys at KJM I'm really impressed by the service that they have provided to me so far.:D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: KJM motorcycles

Al

Sorry not been around, computer decided it was going to commit suicide and has taken me a few days to get parts and to repair.

It Wasn't me who dropped off the bike I still have a couple of hundred miles until first service time, which I hope the weather will improve and let me get something organised in the next couple of weeks and I would agree that KJM seem to be on the ball and are interested in the customer and helping where they can with problems.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: KJM

Not a problem John, I just had this feeling that it was your good self that dropped the bike off at KJM. My bike is going into Alvins tomorrow to be put up on the diagnostics machine to see what they say. I have a feeling that it won't be good news. After speaking to Brian at KJM the other day he did mention that he would have a look at dealers nearer myself that would be qualified to carry out the work on the bike so that it didn't mess around with my warrany. I'll give him a little call tomorrow when I get back from work to see what he says.
:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts