Benelli Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I nipped out on the nelli the other day as I was in need of a little bit of speed refreshment when a bus driver started beeping his horn at me when we were sat at the lights waiting to go. I turned to look at him and he started pointing to underneath the bike. Coolant was pissing everywhere and the temp gauge started to climb rapidly. I nursed the bike home (thankfully I was only about 10 mins away) and checked her over. Everything seemed to be fine. The next day (after topping her up) I went for a small ride to see how she was. Everything seemed fine. So there I was on a beautiful sunny afternoon riding (sorry .... posing) in town when I came to a bit of a traffic jam. I'm sitting on the bike just opposite a couple of pubs and I can see people looking at the bike. (Queue major smuggness). Next minute smoke is billowing from the front of the bike and I thought the bitch was going to catch fire. This has happened to me on two seperate occasions now and I'm at my wits end. Just as I was starting to get into riding again, this goes and happens:mad:

Al
(Looking for insurance documents and an alibi:()

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
Al, I had this happen last year as I was queueing to get into the bike park at Assen - I totally overheated. spewed my coolant over the pipes, big cloud of smoke, crapped myself thinking the bike was on fire, stopped running for ten minutes, and have never had a problem with coolant since.

It was blistering hot that day mind, I doubt if you had the same in Scotland!

·
Registered
68 Posts
If the coolant is leaking from the front of the engine onto the exhaust header pipes, I would say that the front coolant plug in the head could be corroded through.

If the coolant is being dumped onto the muffler lead-pipe, I'd say that the cooling systems hasn't been bled of all the air properly and the system is pumping out coolant from overheating.

I have seen one TnT that had blown a head gasket causing coolant to be pumped out?

·
903 Posts
Trapped air

Al, we have had a few problems with refilling Tornado's. The best way we have found is to raise the back end of the bike (A hydralic bike ramp helps here!) about a foot or so (Sorry 300mm :doh: ) then slowly fill her up so as not to allow air to become trapped. The bike was then run up and got nice and hot whilst still on the ramp then allowed to cool down again, topped up the level again and the job was done.

This might work for you mate if it's trapped air that's causing your problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts