Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so after having the bike 2 weeks i finally got a chance to ride it. though not much after i spent half my time trying to get it started. normally fuel injected bikes ive had before i just whack the start button an they roar to life. apparently this one has to be cranked and catch the throttle just right after a couple seconds in order to coax it into living. is this normal? is there some sort of adjustment i can do somewhere to help?

·
Registered
346 Posts
If you have to "touch" the throttle to put it in "just the right" position then odds are you have a bad TPS or Stepper motor (or they're WAY out of adjustment).
I saw the exact same thing with my brothers Speed Triple.

·
Registered
403 Posts
to start

well little story.

Since New, my tnt has required 1 push of the little red button with no throttle for 3-5 seconds with not even a hint of starting.
Push button again, straight away it fires no issue.

Weird I thought, as a mates FZ1-N would fire in 1/2 a second, I accepted it as an italian intracacy. :doh:

BUT, low and behold, bought a 2009 R1, because x-plane engine and Jap reliabilty, and it starts exaclty the same, no chance on first push, but jumps on the second hit.:bawl:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
mine seems more like a fueling issue. no matter how much i crank it first, second, third, fourth time i get no fire. it will stutter occasionally and try to fire but nothing. if i blip the throttle at just the right time while cranking it will start.

this is with clutch lever in, in neutral, side stand up. no other combination would even get me this far. i would really like for it to just snap to life like a FI vehicle is spose too.

actually TPS or something is still a good thought, i will play with it more and see if maybe a exact throttle position works right instead of throttle blips.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Oh dear

This can prove to be a problem, suggest you have a look to see who knows about these bikes and make soem phone calls, It will have to go to somebody with a clue and an axone tuning tool to sort it out.

price to pay for exclusivity

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
which means either I fix it or no one does. the closest dealer is over a days drive away 1 way.

if someone could get me the needed resistance off the TPS sensor i could set it by hand if need be. no biggie, ive been around the inside of a vehicle a time or 3.

·
Registered
346 Posts
which means either I fix it or no one does. the closest dealer is over a days drive away 1 way.

if someone could get me the needed resistance off the TPS sensor i could set it by hand if need be. no biggie, ive been around the inside of a vehicle a time or 3.
The closest dealer for you is about 12 hours driving time I suppose (I think the one here in Memphis is the closest one)..

Just call them and see if they can help and get down this way to get it fixed..
901-853-5255
http://www.cyclesportusa.com/

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
theres exactly ZERO chance of that happening. i dont see how you guys think i can just pack up and go for 3 days at any point.

if you guys dont feel like helping me get the info i need i guess i can maybe call the dealer i got it from and see if they can get the info for me.

·
1,841 Posts
Hi Zedicus, the walbro ecu used on the tnts requires the throttle open and shut positions to be programed to the ecu by software on the axone machine.
The tuneboy software also lets this be checked and set. There is also a free software program available that one of our members (cant remember his name ? ,but is from Italy) may also be able to set tps?. I know Paul Smith knows about this and he should be able to give advice if he reads this post.
There is resistances to check with the tps. as follows,
Shut....
1-2 = 5.21k
2-3 = 1.36k
1-3 = 4.59k

open.....
1-2 = 1.86k
2-3 = 4.70k
1-3 = 4.59k

the above should be within 10% = ok.
colin.

·
Registered
346 Posts
if you guys dont feel like helping me get the info i need i guess i can maybe call the dealer i got it from and see if they can get the info for me.
Wow, I didn't realize we weren't being helpful.
The last time I looked my giving you the information to a dealer location is an effort to help you.
My telling you that it's probably the stepper motor is my attempt to help you.
Your lack of willingness to accept that help is the only problem I see here.

As I said, the problem, as it sounds to me, is probably to do with your stepper motor. The stepper motor works in conjunction with your TPS and advances the throttle just the right amount on ignition.

My brother's Speed Triple woudln't start. It didn't matter what we did, or how many times we did it. The bike would crank and crank and crank.
We drained 4 batteries trying to get the bike to start.
I played with the throttle one time and held it ever ever so gently and slightly open and the bike fired up and ran.
We shut it down after a short while and did the same thing.. it fired up again..
We shut it down and did it a 3rd time.. Fired right up
We shut it down and tried to fire it up without touching the throttle and it just cranked and cranked and cranked...

So, if I'm reading what you're saying correctly, I'd still guess it's the stepper motor..

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sorry, i wasnt meaning to snap at you. but telling someone to drive 12 hours after they already stated that was an impossibility is not helpful.

and thanks for the info posted i will look into it.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Damn, those are all User manuals..
I have the shop manual on my home computer.. I can get you the exact info then..
I thought I had the manual in my email, but I guess not..
Sorry..

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Well.........., who's a narky little zedicus then :p

Oh, almost forgot, welcome to the forum matey ;)

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
When you get to my age Doug, everything seems go a bit slower :rolling:

Hope you manage to get to the bottom of the problem soon.

·
1,841 Posts
Mr Zed , it would be worth checking the battery voltage before attempt at start up, it should be above 12.5 volts. it is also worth monitoring the voltage when the starter is pressed, if it drops to below 9volts it may indicate a duff batt. It is easily tested at any local dealer to confirm etc...
colin..

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
heh, i can only imagine.

and hopefully its not a major issue. if i cant fix it i will just consider it a theft deterrent. wonder if i could get a discount on my insurance for the 'having to hold the wang just right to get it to start' anti-theft device???

1 - 20 of 23 Posts