Benelli Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Italian bike junkie
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally, after 18 months, I had the first of two surgeries to remove hardware from my leg last Thursday. This was the tibia side, they will do the fibula side in November. I posted a pic of the hardware from the tibia in my gallery (ducboyjr).
I'm recovering pretty well, still icing and elevating the leg because with my blood disorder I always bruise and swell badly after any trauma or surgery. But I'm already off the pain killers and will be on crutches for only 2 weeks, then I will be walking. I can already feel the difference in my leg - I had gotten so used to the plate that I had forgotten how aware of it I had been early on. I'm hoping by mid-December I'll be riding again, with a completely healed, hardware-free leg! :ele:

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
That's fantastic news Mark:clap: You know, I'd kinda forgotten how long it's been since you first posted on here about your 'off'. Eighteen months is a long time matey, so here's to a quick recovery on the last of your surgery and to you getting back out there on your bike. I bet it'll feel strange getting back on the road again after all that time, so take it easy man and enjoy yourself and for f*cks sake ...... keep it shiny side up will you?;):D

Al:bow:

·
Italian bike junkie
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's fantastic news Mark:clap: You know, I'd kinda forgotten how long it's been since you first posted on here about your 'off'. Eighteen months is a long time matey, so here's to a quick recovery on the last of your surgery and to you getting back out there on your bike. I bet it'll feel strange getting back on the road again after all that time, so take it easy man and enjoy yourself and for f*cks sake ...... keep it shiny side up will you?;):D

Al:bow:
Cheers mate! Oh, but remember, I was already riding again as soon as I could walk, starting last December :clap: So I only went 8 months without riding. I did my 5,000-mile Alaska/Canada ride back in May, and the Saturday before my surgery I went for a nice 460-mile day ride :D But hell, even having to go a couple of months now without riding is torture :bawl: At least this is the start of the rainy season here....

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Hi Mark,

Glad to hear that you are making good progress at long last and I bet you are glad that the 'scaffolding' is being removed after all this time.

I'm sure you'll be as good as new again by the time the better weather comes around in the Spring :clap: :clap: :clap:

·
Italian bike junkie
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Mark,

Glad to hear that you are making good progress at long last and I bet you are glad that the 'scaffolding' is being removed after all this time.

I'm sure you'll be as good as new again by the time the better weather comes around in the Spring :clap: :clap: :clap:
Thanks Laurence! Yes, having this mess out of my leg is a huge relief. The tibia plate caused pain with every step, so having that out is great. And those screws that are right on my ankle bone were quite irritating under a riding boot. I'll definitely be ready for the good weather :clap: And if I'm lucky, I'll no longer be limping when I walk.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Glad to hear you are soon to be hardware free. For me the removal of the screws was always the worst part of the whole ordeal. Hopefully your doctor is more humane.

·
Italian bike junkie
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Glad to hear you are soon to be hardware free. For me the removal of the screws was always the worst part of the whole ordeal. Hopefully your doctor is more humane.
Thanks man! Well, it was outpatient, but I did go under general anesthesia, which is never fun :( But they have really good anti-nausea drugs these days that work great. And I haven't needed any pain meds since Saturday evening, so that's good. The incisions are exactly over the old ones from the original surgery to put the hardware in, so no additional scars. I get to remove the bandages tomorrow, I think I have around 30 stitches, they'll come out on the 24th. :clap:

·
150 Posts
Great news

Hope you will have good weather there, keep the rubber side down mate.

--- pain is only weakness leaving body ---

W: Pekka

·
Registered
7 Posts
re

Thats fantastic!
I snapped my left arm in two December of this year (double open compund).
I have Plates on both the radius and ulna. The Doc says he may want to remove the plates at some piont.... What was the reason for your removal? Was this somethig you knew had to come out or was it an option?
I am trying to debate what to do myself....
Speedy recovery....:clap:
J

·
Italian bike junkie
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats fantastic!
I snapped my left arm in two December of this year (double open compund).
I have Plates on both the radius and ulna. The Doc says he may want to remove the plates at some piont.... What was the reason for your removal? Was this somethig you knew had to come out or was it an option?
I am trying to debate what to do myself....
Speedy recovery....:clap:
J
Thanks!

My removal was required because there were so many screws (23 total) and 13 of them were right in the ankle bone on both sides, causing a lot of irritation. Some days even a sock hurt that area, especially on the outside of the ankle, where you can actually see all 5 screws under the skin. Plus, even after the bone healed, every step was painful because the plates don't flex as much as bone does, so there was pain where the screws went through the bone. The surgeon told me from the very start that the hardware would come out once the bones healed. Even if it had been an option, I would have had it all removed. I'm hoping that I can walk pain-free once this is all over with.

It's probably different with your arm, since it's not a weight-bearing bone (usually :rolling: ). I'd say don't bother having it removed unless it causes you problems or unless the surgeon can give you good reasons for doing it. Hope your arm has healed up without complications!

cheers -
mark

·
Italian bike junkie
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ya know, I thought I'd set those things off, but I've flown twice with the hardware in, once to Phoenix, and once to Amsterdam, and I haven't set one off yet! What did set one off was when I flew to Phoenix I was still wearing my bone growth stimulator, and the pulsed EMF from it set off the screener from 10 feet away. The security folks couldn't figure out what was setting it off :doh: and suddenly I figured it out and turned off the device, and the screener cleared :rolling: They never knew what did it...

·
903 Posts
:hiya: Ducboyjr, glad to hear things are getting better for you and all the metalwork is out at last. It's a pain in the arse getting searched every time you go through the metal detectors when flying, I got searched numerous times but never by a good looking woman!:rolling:

I have still got problems with my leg and hip although things are much better than a few months ago. I cannot walk too far as I end up with a lot of pain in my hip. I had a check up by my surgeon last Tuesday to be told that I have now got degenerative athritus in my hip joint due to the injuries caused by the accident and will probably require a hip replacement within the next 5 to 10 years! Bit p****d off but there is not much I can do about it except squease some more compensation out of the insurance company. :ele:

Anyway life goes one, once again glad all is getting better for you and look forward to hearing about your exploits once flying around on you bike again fully fit.

PS Only 30 stitches! I had over 80 in my leg! :rolling: :rolling:

·
Italian bike junkie
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
:hiya: Ducboyjr, glad to hear things are getting better for you and all the metalwork is out at last.
PS Only 30 stitches! I had over 80 in my leg! :rolling: :rolling:
Thanks matey! Nice to hear from you Lloyd. I still have one more surgery to go before all the metalwork is out, this one was only for the tibia plate. I'll have another surgery in November to remove the fibula plate (and another 30 or so stitches :p ) The good news is that I can now walk with no pain in the bone (the tibia plate caused pain with every step) :ele:

I'm really sorry to hear you're still having pain in the hip and that you'll need a hip replacement :( But those are pretty routine surgeries nowadays, so it will be worth it to get rid of the pain.

Keep hanging in there, buddy!

cheers -
mark

1 - 15 of 15 Posts