Benelli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
5,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've set up a sportvue head mounted display, on my Tre, so that I can see my speed without dipping my head to read the speedo. It's not terribly expensive, & others may be interested in doing the same. Check out the link.

One difficulty in setting it up is determining the wheel circumference at speed. I have checked the readout against distance markers we have here in Australia, measuring time at, say, 100kph, over the marked distance. A better way would be to count revolutions over the known distance, which could be easily done with a modification of sportvue's code. Their comment was, good idea, but no other place has distance markers.

Question to you guys then - Do you have measured distance markers available to you?
(In Canberra there are 3 highway sites where a 5km stretch is measured off at 1km intervals. There's another on the highway to Sydney)

·
Registered
209 Posts
I think here in Melbourne there are distance markers right out to about 20ks from the city. But I'd have to check that next time I'm on the South Eastern :) I know that near the city they count down every 100m.

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
What a great piece of kit that is. I only wish you guys would stop posting things like this .... I need to save my pennies:rolling:

Al (Only 2 days to go;))

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Yes - What exactly is happening in 2 days Al ??

Do you get you bike back ??

Do you inherit £20m ??

Or is that the drying time of the carpet you cleaned yesterday !! ??

PS - Back to the thread............... Cracking piece of kit that tho - very futuristic

·
Super Moderator
7,769 Posts
Question to you guys then - Do you have measured distance markers available to you?
Hi Errol,

To answer your original question, the UK has distance markers on all Motorways, which I believe are used to indicate the distance to the next emergency telephone.

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
Till what AL.?
Until I go down to KJM and pick my bike up:ele:

Knowing my luck, I'll only go and bin it at the first decent roundabout I come to:rolling:

Al (Trying not to get too excited;))

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Ah, Thought that may be the case :D

Question for you Al, - Do you think that less than 3 miles into your journey home you are gonna be wearing a grin from ear to ear ??
(possibly due to either 1. the sound, 2. the 'feel' of being back on a benelli 3. when you pass someone and they 'rudely' stare at the bike ?? or all the above ????)

Good luck with her fella - it must be like going with an old girlfriend again every time you get her back ;)

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
Ah, Thought that may be the case :D

Question for you Al, - Do you think that less than 3 miles into your journey home you are gonna be wearing a grin from ear to ear ??
(possibly due to either 1. the sound, 2. the 'feel' of being back on a benelli 3. when you pass someone and they 'rudely' stare at the bike ?? or all the above ????)

Good luck with her fella - it must be like going with an old girlfriend again every time you get her back ;)
I would have to say that all of the above would be my answer to that one me ol' film star ;) As for the girlfriend comment .... you nearly made me snort my bovril through my nose when I read that ya cheeky imp:rolling:

Al (Getting ready to give KJM a call any minute now:p)

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Hey Al, - Its good to see you posting again back on here :D :D

Now we must think of something special for your 1000th post (you big bad post whore you !!)

- Admin, can you think of anything???

·
Super Moderator
7,769 Posts
Yeah Roland, how about blocking him from posting any more until the rest of us catch up a bit :rolling:

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
Yeah Roland, how about blocking him from posting any more until the rest of us catch up a bit :rolling:

Bugger off you lot;) I have some serious spamming to do to make up for lost time:rolling:
If I work hard enough I reckon I could have it done in time for the weekend;)

Al (Still not phoned KJM:eek:)

·
47 Posts
sweet!

Hey engenia!
I just ordered one of those hmd's. looks sweet. can't wait for it to arrive! hehe. quick question: where abouts did ya mount it, and where did you tap the RPM signal? also, could you use the existing speed sensor on the rear wheel, do ya think?

cheers.

·
5,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey engenia!
where abouts did ya mount it, and where did you tap the RPM signal? also, could you use the existing speed sensor on the rear wheel, do ya think?
I made a bracket that sits above the bottom tubes of the front frame, and uses the lower bolt to hold it in place. Sticky velcro on that bracket & it's mating half on the MC1, hold the MC1 in place. The 9 pin connector sits to the left of the head stem.

I haven't connected the rpm signal. Mostly I know what gear I'm in, so I didn't bother. The tacho display is not very useful to me either. You can set it up to act as a shift light, but I'm not bothering with that.

I used the sensor that came with the system. Trying to hook it up to the existing sensor presented too many issues - 6 pulses per turn instead of 1 being the main one. The magnet is glued into a block of plastic, which is shaped to fit into, & glue onto the back wheel. The sensor mounts off a new bracket which screws to the existing speed sensor bracket.

I'll see if I can document the whole thing on my website. I've still got pencil drawings of the 2 brackets that might be useful to you. Plus a few pictures. Give me a week or so.

I'm getting the development kit from Sportvue, and will set up to display the indicators. I also want to experiment with displaying warnings such as low coolant level, high coolant temperature and low oil pressure.

I'm also making up a counter to count the number of turns over a measured distance. This will make it much easier to work out the wheel circumference at speed.

·
47 Posts
hey, engenia?
i crashed my 'nelli before the hmd arrived. bahaha. but i'm now getting it all sorted again. how has your display held up? had any issues? just about to hook mine up over the weekend. feels good to be on the ride again!

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
Errol, it seems as though a lot of the links aren't working for that HMD that you have.
Is this something that can be applied to your normal lid but through a different visor or what?
I was gonna get myself a digital gear indicator but at not shy off of £90 quid I recon one of these might just be really handy. I see they have a version now that will detect radar .... now that is cool:bow:

Al:)

·
Super Moderator
7,769 Posts
I don't know if you can still get these Al as I think they have been discontinued but you might want to read this.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts