Benelli Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Has anyone done a HID light conversion on the Tornado?

I want to put the 6500k bulb kit in.

Is there enough room to store the balast behind the fairing?

Done it on my Ducati and it was much better than the normal headlight :clap:

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
You'll be hard pushed to find something that hasn't been done before on a Benelli by someone on this forum. ;)

Eroll's your man for the HID light conversion. Have a look at his very usefull website for more detailed info.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi,

Im a little confused... :confused:

It would appear on the site that you didnt accomplish the light conversion?

·
Registered
864 Posts
Errol did complete his conversion as far as I am aware...

I have a 4300K on my 2006 R1 low beam (through my projector lenses)

A low beam HID conversion really needs to go through a projector lense like the Tornado. If it is fitted within a reflector housing like your Ducati the light scatters everywhere and blinds oncoming traffic.
A high beam doesnt matter as blinding oncoming traffic is not an issue.

It depends what you are wanting to achieve with a conversion. If it is for maximum light output the only bulb to install is 4300K, anything higher and the light will deviate from a white light of 4300 towards blue and then purple of an 8000k

The conversion is easy to install.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Low beam

Engenia, did you find this mod really improved the light spread or is everything just brighter? I got stuck on twisty country roads for an hour a few nights ago and could see practically nothing when cornering.....

As an immediate improvement Im going to modify the lighting circuit as you suggest on your website, but if you reckon a HID low beam is a vast improvement to that then what HID kit would you recommend?

·
5,928 Posts
Engenia, did you find this mod really improved the light spread or is everything just brighter? I got stuck on twisty country roads for an hour a few nights ago and could see practically nothing when cornering.....
The spread didn't improve, but by increasing the brightness by 4x, the duller parts on the edges improved, and the reflected / scattered light increased, filling in more of the dark areas. I've also raised the low beam to the point that some on-coming drivers object, but that's more than compensated by the improvement in sight lines on tight mountain roads.
You can't do much about the optics.

The major problem comes from the optics being fixed to the bike. For those of us driving on the left, the low beam will become ineffective in a tight right hander, as the beam rotates with the bike. The solution is to make the low beam to rotate counter to the bike, keeping the beam cut-off level. This is not easy though. You need to motor-drive the blanking plate, and know where vertical is.
As an immediate improvement Im going to modify the lighting circuit as you suggest on your website, but if you reckon a HID low beam is a vast improvement to that then what HID kit would you recommend?
Change both high & low beams. You won't regret it.
I used a dual set for a car. Picked it up off ebay from a mob in Hong Kong. Cost about UAD200. These guys come and go, so do an ebay search.

·
Registered
297 Posts
lol

That was exactly it...the "hell no!" moment was a tight right hander where I found myself trying to look into absolute darkness :)

I'll keep an eye on ebay so, thanks for the reply. :bow:

Edit: BTW, how did oyu get on with your high beam conversion in the end...iirc its not written up in the original article?

·
5,928 Posts
BTW, how did you get on with your high beam conversion in the end...iirc its not written up in the original article?
Guess I forgot :D
I think I spaced it back a little as well (try it without & see what you think), but it fit straight in, and made a BIG difference. It's still a spot light, but now it's a BRIGHT spotlight. I could shoot possums out of a tree 300 metres away (If it were legal :p ..... and I had a gun :D ... and I could shoot straight :doh: )

·
Registered
297 Posts
The solution is to make the low beam to rotate counter to the bike, keeping the beam cut-off level. This is not easy though. You need to motor-drive the blanking plate, and know where vertical is.
Probably do-able with some hobby gyro arrangement, but i've no idea where you would begin with a mod like that :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts