Benelli Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone. This looks like a nice place to be. My name is Rob and I am a Ducati rider. I have an '04 749 Dark which I will be sad to put away for storage come the winter months.
I wanted to inquire with all the Tornado owners out there what the reliability of your bikes are like. What sorts of money can I expect to pay for a service and/or parts if need be?
I love the style of these bikes and was hoping to add one to my collection in a few years time. I may be getting ahead of myself, but I wanted to start my research now. I was told by a local dealer who stopped selling Benellis, that the reason they didn't sell was because a) they are much too finicky, and b) there is just not a big enough market for them in our area (Kelowna, Okanagan Valley).
He was mostly referring to the CafeRacer, though. Are these bikes really like that? How much more is there to a Tornado 1130 than to say a Ducati 999?
The reason I'm most concerned is because the nearest dealership is now 400km away, and it would be good to know that I can rely on the bike enough not to make regular trips.

Thanks in advance for all your input :)!

Rob

·
ENGLAND FOREVER
1,565 Posts
welcome

Alright mate, i have owned many bikes in my time, from R1`s to V Max`s & ZX12R`s, nothing has made me smile more than my Tornado RS. I have only owned my one for 6 months (the wettest summer in england for 50 years!!) but i have loved every minute, the only down side is the wait for spare parts, that may be not be the case in Canada. The sound is like nothing else & the handling & looks all add up to a very fine bike. Hope this helps mate, always a pleasure to hear from someone who has the same Queen as me(God bless her)
;) :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply, Lee. I'm glad you enjoy your Benelli, and I'm sure that when the time does come for me to upgrade to one, I will make equally great experiences. Spare parts are probably a pain to come by for my Ducati as well, but luckily I haven't had to deal with that *knocks on wood*.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Ducati parts are as common as dirt in Canada compared to Benelli parts.
That said, I'm in Ottawa Ontario and 200km from the nearest dealer and I don't regret getting my TNT.

Awesome bike in every way.

I did wait 5 weeks for a water pump which is why there is now a 2005 Honda VFR in my garage as well. Great back up bike.

My bike is an 07 and knock on wood has not been plagued with some of the typical problems you read about.

BTW the Canadian importer for Benelli is in BC so maybe that will be a plus.

Gary

·
Still trying!
490 Posts
Well - so far my Tornado has been more reliable than any of the half dozen or so Ducatis I have owned over around 30 years .. and that includes splashing around Scotland all 'summer'.
Personally I find it far more comfy than, for instance, a 900ss. Only problem is fuel consumption ... plan your journey!!
I honestly think it is the most enjoyable bike I have owned since stepping up to 'big' bikes ... if it is 'grin factor' you want buy one. I guess it won't be reliable in a BMW/Honda way but if you ride for fun rather than everyday transport you won't regret it.:D :D :D

I really need a tnt or something to keep it company .. I am that hooked on the Benelli thing!!! (Will have to wait though!)

Mike

·
Registered
53 Posts
Mine is an 05 900 Tre so not a direct comparison to the 1130. I personally like the power delivery on the 1130 a bit better. Mine has been pretty much trouble free aside form the cheap battery causing some stalling issues, replaced with a real battery after a year and no problems now. My valves were pretty tight at the 3,000 mile service and shims were not an over the counter item so had a week wait for those. The bike has a personality and I can honestly say I prefer it over the CBR1000RR. Not saying it is a beter machine but it is overall more enjoyable and way more enjoyable than the '05 R-1 was.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts