Benelli Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone... just completed day 1 out in Almeria-Spain on track with my Tornado RS :D

Pleased to say she hasnt put a foot wrong all day... racked up 138 miles on track today and my new Qualifier RR tyres arent looking so new any more!

Definately scorchio out here... sun blazing away aroung 27deg. There is only two groups - half hour on half hour off - thats a log time! Havent stayed out the whole half hour yet

Almeria is a great circuit... lots of nice flowing corners and a left hander that goes on for ever.. as well as a near kilometer long straight! The RS is drinking the fuel... which with the poor Euro rate is going to hit hard after 3 days!

Had the suspension looked at this afternoon and now much better... was too soft at the front the short downhill straight on the start finish was getting a bit hairy under braking... but much better now. The back also stiffened up.

The only small prob is might have some air in the brakes :confused: Before going out on a session find the lever has gone soggy. Pump it a few times before starting up and lever stiffens up again.

Anyway - more of the same tomorrow :clap:

Small piccy of the RS in the pit garage:

·
Fyule
697 Posts
sounds like you've had great fun there Dino, I am very jealous. I was around the area last week and really wanted to go, but it was a family holiday and I was on the lead so to speak!!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice one Dino, Can't fault you, we just need some circuit track phot's now or better still a video on the RS put on You Tube ! ;)

Have fun matey,
:clap:
I could have spelt Almeria right! :doh: :rolling:

There is an official photographer here... but costs £40 to get CD of all the photos from the 3 days... think you can buy singles when back in th UK from the photographers web site.... so wont be any on bike photos til I get home.

Will try to rig up my video camera tomorrow and upload some to YouTube at the weekend.

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
well done doing the Almeria Track i believe its a very popular place for us brits , i heard a rumour regarding Almeria and it was very interesting and involved track days and Benelli:) . quick question is what make is the front yoke paddock stand as i have one of the usual fork leg models but would like a yoke rising stand instead.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Great stuff, Dino - a brilliant circuit!:clap: I used to own a house near there, at Garrucha, and have done track days there on my Aprilia and Yamaha, and would love to do it on the Benelli. You'd better get on and organise it, Goose!:rolling: :rolling: Loads of grip, loads of space, stunning scenery, a big, fast, flowing circuit - lovely!:clap:
Enjoy tommorrow, Dino! I'm with you in spirit!:ele:
Cheers:D
Ian

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I aint jealous at all :mad: :p

Looks like your having a fab time - enjoy the rest of the trip and I look forward to seeing video & piccies on your return :)

·
Registered
690 Posts
Friend of mine went out earlier in the year with his boss. He didn't pay (mofo), but they done a £750 2 day event, but its an open pitlane and a max of 30 on track, so he loved it as a novice.

Just recently he went to Jerez... Man I need to swap jobs, his boss pays for it, he jsut has to sort out flights and hotel. Bikes get transported down.

Is that the kinda deal you done? I seen other deals where you have sessions like yours, htink it was £780 for 2-3 days, inc hotel and bike transport.

Maybe next year :( Im doomed with a wedding to save for now. :doh: :D

·
ENGLAND FOREVER
1,565 Posts
nice one dino mate, show them how its done, keep you knee down & the bike shiny side up mate. Cant wait to see some more pics :clap: :clap: :clap:

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
cool runnings Dino .
should you need some track tyres i got a set off a RS .very reasonable lol.

thought was quiet around wraysbury .

Enjoy

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
More from Almeria

Got back in early hours of this morning... all in one piece - that's me and the RS! :D

Day 2 was brilliant.. another 7 sessions and 148 miles on track, 30deg sunshine all day. The day ran 10-6 with an hour for lunch - half hour sessions again. Latched onto back of an instructor for most of one session who was with another rider and managed to up my pace. There were a lot of very good riders there... I think being only 2 groups meant a lot of novices had stayed away... so prob only about 5 or 6 people in my group that I could keep up with / pass. Sorry if I havent done the Benelli justice... my safety switch definately on!

Almeria nice circuit.. third Spanish one I have done. The straight is very very long... indicated 147mph at the end. The litre sportsbikes doing 160 and above. Some serious braking needed at the end though! I was getting quite a bit of judder/skip scrubbing off 100+ mph. Apart from the start finish straight and back straight always hanging off one side or the other. Pretty tiring in the sun. I must say I found it hard to hang off as much as I wanted to.. the space between the tank and the rear seat hump is not very accomodating for my 6'5" frame.. and found the sharp back of the tank digging in my inside thigh and stopping me moving any further across.

Track as a whole is pretty fast. Its a 4025m track - a quick time was about 2 mins (thats avg 75mph?). The fast boys I think were low 1m50's. I was around 2m10s - 2m13s when I was really at my limit.
Lots of camber changes, blind crests, a tight chicane and that straight. Bike had more to give for sure - but I did not... still, I had fun though.

More circuit details are here: http://www.circuitodealmeria.com/eng.htm

Day 2 also saw couple of spills amongst the other 4 guys I had travelled with (Ducati 999, Yamaha R6, and 2 x Yamaha R1). One mate was clipped by someone passing too close on the start finish straight, the twat taking off my mates brake lever in the process.. trouble is he didnt realise until he went to brake at the the bottom of the hill.. he managed to scrub off some speed and then low-side it into the gravel. He was fine but the track fairings took a beating, his bullet cam was wiped out, a bent clip-on, a smashed screen - as well as the brake lever. He was back out the following session with lots of gaffer tape round the screen and fairing plus a spare clip on and levers. The chap on the R6 wasnt quite so lucky and flew off pretty fast and was carted off to hospital. Turns out he ripped an abuctor muscle in his thigh.. which was fortunately less then we were expecting after the scans and xrays. He is still in Spain as I type until he can travel back.

Day 3 I think I was just a bit tired.. making silly mistakes.. couple of rear wheel slides and managed to lock up coming into the chicane was lucky not to go down and went across the gravel. Decided to end it early and miss the last three sessions and pack up leisurely rather than rush. Covered 366 miles on track in total which was plenty enough track time!

In the last session I gave my mates 2001 R1 a go. I must say it was pretty easy to ride - hate to say it but easier than the Tornado. I felt I was having to muscle the bike somewhat whereas the R1 felt much lighter and definately more power. My mate (who is much quicker than me) quite enjoyed the ride on the Tornado but he reckoned it would need quite a few sessions to get used to it... esp. the engine braking which there isnt much on the R1. I was quite comfortable on the R1 and when he was following me he said he found it quite difficult to keep up.

Bike still on its way back - think we pick up next weekend. Will need a seriously good clean!

Apart from the brake issue which I need to get to bottom of - will post separately on this - bike didnt put a foot wrong and was subjected to some pretty heavy usage on each session. The Sportmax Qualifier RR 190/55 dont look quite so new any more!!

Will post up some picture to gallery soon. Havent looked at the onboard video yet.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
.... quick question is what make is the front yoke paddock stand as i have one of the usual fork leg models but would like a yoke rising stand instead.
Its the BS Motoparts stand:
http://www.bs-motoparts.de/Lenkkopf-Montagestaender-Vorderrad-schwarz_p4086_x2.htm

Note that doesnt come with right pin size.. a mate made me up an adaptor to make it fit. Since found out that they can supply larger pin sizes. Its a bit tricky to get in and out with scratching any of the plastics... but is an extremely sturdy stand.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts