Benelli Forum banner

Help! Anyone had starting & tickover prob?

3K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  PONY 
#1 ·
Hi
Have just joined and saw you guys no your stuff! I have a Tornado RS and after riding through torrential rain one afternoon she doesn,t want to start from cold and the tickover is real low. It's as if the autochoke/rich start doesn't work now. I have took apart all the electric plugs, dried and wd40 but no difference. Just hoping for some ideas? Hoping not the ECU!! Cheers. Mark

#2 ·
Mark,
that is a new one on me , rode mine home from work in Cheltenham the other day in bad rain, scandelous I know but had to get home somehow. It was a bit funny after the first start (Hesitated to start then neutral light stuck on and rev counter didnt work for a minute), but is ok now. Have you tried taking the rider seat off and drying the ecu plugs, welcome to italian electrics, it dont rain there,
Steve.

#3 ·
Welcome to the wonderful world of Benelli mate, my RS ticks over fast in gear & idles perfectly in neutral :confused: :confused:
I know sod all about them but i thought i would reply so you dont feel lonely :) :)
I am sure you will get lots of good advice before you know it from some of the other lads.
Good Luck Pal & welcome to the Mad house :clap: :clap: :clap:

#4 ·
Steve

Yeh I know, Italian Electrics I love em!! I have took the ECU plugs off, and have the whole bike stripped of plastics doing any and all electric connections. After having the prob with the middle spark plug cap/coil in the past i should have watched the weather forecast better!!

Cheers

Mark

#7 ·
'water-in-the-coilsticks problem'

every time i log on theres a new problem to be aware of!!!!:doh:

mad house indeed!!!!;)

#8 ·
Could be a different coil/plug than before. After you have just fired it up see if the exhaust header pipes are all the same temperature. If one is much cooler than the other two, It would be worth giving that coil and plug a good check over

#9 ·
Mark, from what you describe and assuming it is running on 3 cyl,then it may be the stepper motor. If you can set up to run with the tank lifted and the airbox lid off you will see the stepper idle control valve on the right side.
When you start the engine the stepper motor moves the little plunger up and down to allow control of air. If you rev the engine a little the plunger should move downwards.
If the plunger does not move then some of these plungers come loose on the shaft (white ones),or the stepper could be faulty, or the plug to the stepper could be not connected etc.
Keep us informed,and I will try and help.
Cheers colin..

#10 ·
My money's on the stepper, but ....

The TPS has been known to fail in crap weather, but they have failed open, making the ECU think it's WOT. The ECU then pumps way too much fuel in and the plugs eventually foul.
Worth looking at as well though.
(Don't blame the Italians for this one - the TPS is a BMW part)

#11 ·
Before you start to disassemble everything, just charge your battery first. Dunno how long you rode your Nelli. When I picked her up, the dealer gave me introduction to everything about the dashboard, starting a few times... then went to the ferry and had to turn off and on many times. Suddenly, the bike had starting problems. With help from the throttle, it started, but no auctochoke and low tickover. Obviously, too much power loss. After charging the battery, everything was fine again.

G
#13 ·
Welcome to the best forum with the best lads, lassis and 1 hairdresser from Grimsby going friend
I can confirm the above friend, i had it happen the same on mine WWWAAAAYYY back in 06 when my RS was new. Rode 25 miles in THE best rain ever (it was bouncing) and hay presto she won't run properly next day... New Uprated Battery (under Warrenty) and she ran fine..
Maybe there is an inbuilt anti bad weather device built in somewhere that we don't know about

#15 ·
Cheers Guys n Dolls n Hairdresser!! I checked the TPS and according to electric tester this is working ok, battery on charge but the culprit does appear to be the stepper, stuck not moving at all. Is it Benelli dealer at £95.00 or is there an alternative? Flea bay had nothing. Rain is most def a no if you ride a Benelli!! Thanks again for all of your help. http://1.2.3.13/bmi/www.benelliforum.com/forum/images/smilies/Bow.gif

#22 ·
Rain is most def a no if you ride a Benelli!!
Sorry Mate, don't agree. The only thing that happens to my Tre when it rains .... is that it gets wet. Despite the on-going drought, Nell's been through some torrential rain - and never had a problem directly related to it.

(Mind you, it's a good idea to re-direct the airbox drain from above #2 plug, and change the coil sticks to sealed ones ....)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.