Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first thread ...... so please be gentle with me but I would appreciate some advice.

I wanted to do a track day on my Tornado (it's a 900 tre) so went to Castle Combe race circuit today to have the bike noise tested. Even though it has the standard Arrow can the level was measured at 107db (at 3/4 revs, 1/2 metre from exhaust) which is above the limit of 105db and therefore not permitted on the track.

I have looked at other tracks and it seems as though they all have a maximum of 105db. Has anybody else had this problem? If so can it be overcome by some form of adaption to the exhaust? If not I fear I might have to trade it in for a bike that will meet the requirements.

Thanks, Paul

·
Bald tattooed member
1,257 Posts
i've heard castle combe are very strict with db readings i failed at cadwell with 108db with my gixer but they still let me on :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
574 Posts
if you end can is giving 107db I doubt it can be standard and the best solution would be to get a standard can rather than selling the bike.
I've just got back from a track day at cadwell and my 1130 with baffel removed was 105db at 5000rpm. Interestingly a 1098s with full termis measured 102db

·
Benelli Wannabe !
6,865 Posts

·
TnT explosive tester
1,011 Posts
Yeah welcome to the forum m8

Any chance you can rig up a little baffle of your own

Its only a small bit of tube stuck down the pipe to make the hole smaller, and bolted to the exhaust outlet

you could get one off a m8 who does not use his for a loan for the track day

Or open up the can and re-pack it if you can

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
This is my first thread ...... so please be gentle with me but I would appreciate some advice.

I wanted to do a track day on my Tornado (it's a 900 tre) so went to Castle Combe race circuit today to have the bike noise tested. Even though it has the standard Arrow can the level was measured at 107db (at 3/4 revs, 1/2 metre from exhaust) which is above the limit of 105db and therefore not permitted on the track.

I have looked at other tracks and it seems as though they all have a maximum of 105db. Has anybody else had this problem? If so can it be overcome by some form of adaption to the exhaust? If not I fear I might have to trade it in for a bike that will meet the requirements.

Thanks, Paul
You could replace the insulating material in your can it will fix your problem some time (max. 2 Years)

·
Registered
417 Posts

Thanks, Paul

Hello and welcome... :clap:
105dB limit is seriously loud.. ISTR that due to log scale used 3dB increase is perceived as doubling power/intensity? My mates 996 with race Termi's is 'only' 103dB I think.
Standard Can is around 94dB? so dont think you have a std can unless someone has gutted it!

Changing bike a bit extreme!... changing your exhaust can a better option! There is a std RS Can on eBay at the moment.

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
Welcome paul , mirroring what others have said sounds (no pun ) like the cans been altered if you dont know the history of it . My Motogp can measures 98 db using a sound meter but think its all down to pressure waves that makes it sound much more as its a loud one !.can you give us a pic or even tell us history of bike .

·
Benelli Wannabe !
6,865 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks very much chaps.

From what you're all saying it seems clear that the problem is with the can - which actually is a relief because I was seriously worried that in standard trim I couldn't take it on the track.

Just worth a mention at this point ..... but Castle Combe measure it at just under 9,000 revs (3/4 of 11,500 red line). I note that someone mentioned that on another track it was measured at 5,000 revs. Is there a standard only I'm presuming that it will be significantly louder at 9,000 than 5,000. Just wondering whether Castle Combe measures are higher than other tracks????

Anyway, I am based in the South West and the bike is due for a service so I'll pop it back to Real World Motorcycles in Aberdare next week (where I originally bought it) and see what they say. If it can't be sorted then I may well take up the offer of buying a spare can to use on the track.

Only one down side ..... it sounds absolutely gorgeous at the moment and it would be a shame to dampen it any way.

Cheers, Paul

·
1,841 Posts
I can not say what the noise level is but I have a used Beowulf can and link pipe that is road legal with baffle fitted for sale £50 if anyone wants it. You will have to collect or pay post at cost.
colin..

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Welcome to the forum Paul. :)

I'm, as others are, surprised your Nelli's noise level was so high, even when measured at 9,000 revs.. :(

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
Welcome to the forum Paul.

You should hear N33lys can .... now that is bloody loud (but nice);)

Al:bow:

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Looks fully standard that can to me, I reckon that at 9000 rpm it is going to be bloomin loud, I bet the internals havent been changed thats just the way they are !!
Makes you wonder how they were approved as UK road legal in the first place, its got to be the loudest standard can I have ever heard.
I have a sport can fitted now and it aint much different I can assure you.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I can not say what the noise level is but I have a used Beowulf can and link pipe that is road legal with baffle fitted for sale £50 if anyone wants it. You will have to collect or pay post at cost.
colin..
Colin what condition is the pipe and where in Kent are you
cheers
Splatter

·
1,841 Posts
Hi, I am in Gravesend, the pipe I have had fitted for about 4000 miles so is in good used condition,so the best thing I can suggest is that I will take some pics and put them on my gallery.(tomorrow if I get time),I have now fitted an Arrow carbon that is why I dont need it anymore.
cheers colin...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi Colin
I am very interested in the Beowulf, that is, if my mate Splatter decides against it.
Am I likely to get grief from the German Polizei, 'cos when we were over there last year they tested my standard Tre can and told me it was 'too loud'.
Bearing in mind I've had the Tre about a year since new and as far as I know no-one has messed about with the exhaust.
I said to the cop 'It's Italian, what do you expect?' and he was OK about it, just loved the look of the bike!!
Anyway we're going back over for the WSB at the Nuerburgring first week of September.

Regards
Graham

1 - 20 of 29 Posts