Benelli Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm Thomas and I bought a 1130 trek from 2011 last year.
when I bought the bike it went to the mechanic because when Hot the bike failed a lot and turned off and didn't want to start but at cold starts and goes well. My mechanic has tried everything but is unable to tune the bike, he says the bike is very rich in hot gasoline.
Someone has had the same problem, I'm from Portugal and there are not to mechanics who know these bikes in Portugal.
Best regards

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I'm Thomas and I bought a 1130 trek from 2011 last year.
when I bought the bike it went to the mechanic because when Hot the bike failed a lot and turned off and didn't want to start but at cold starts and goes well. My mechanic has tried everything but is unable to tune the bike, he says the bike is very rich in hot gasoline.
Someone has had the same problem, I'm from Portugal and there are not to mechanics who know these bikes in Portugal.
Best regards
Hi main issue with hot start problem is usually the Z25 gear .
But could also be down to a bad map loaded onto the ecu or the TPS needs to be replaced or reset within tuneEcu program, or that the stepper motor needs cleaning or replacing .

I also know that sometimes the battery cables to starter motor need changing for thicker ones to help starts also .

you’ll find all the information you need here on the site .
as you’ve said the bike runs very Rich I’d be looking into what map is loaded and I’d check the stepper motor Isn’t stuck first.
There may be other reasons but these are the common ones .
Regards Rick

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi main issue with hot start problem is usually the Z25 gear .
But could also be down to a bad map loaded onto the ecu or the TPS needs to be replaced or reset within tuneEcu program, or that the stepper motor needs cleaning or replacing .

I also know that sometimes the battery cables to starter motor need changing for thicker ones to help starts also .

you’ll find all the information you need here on the site .
as you’ve said the bike runs very Rich I’d be looking into what map is loaded and I’d check the stepper motor Isn’t stuck first.
There may be other reasons but these are the common ones .
Regards Rick
Hi, the stepper motor is new, how to upload the stock map? Tune ecu?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Hi, the stepper motor is new, how to upload the stock map? Tune ecu?
You’ll need a set of cables and either an older laptop with tuneEcu installed or an android Tablet with the new tuneEcu app to look at it the settings and upload any maps onto your Walbro ecu .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You’ll need a set of cables and either an older laptop with tuneEcu installed or an android Tablet with the new tuneEcu app to look at it the settings and upload any maps onto your Walbro ecu .
Hi, my Mechanic uses texa diagnostic machine, is any good for tune the motorcycle?

·
5,866 Posts
Texa / Axone - all good for diagnostics, adjustments and uploading maps, but not so good for modifying them. TuneECU covers all the bases, and it's cheap.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I am not sure I understand your problem but it might be worth checking the TPS. After riding at cruise speed for a while, a faulty TPS can cause the bike to run rough and stall at low speed. This is a common problem with 1130 triples. There is a quick and easy check. Use TuneECU Android version. Turn-on the bike ignition but do not start the engine. In TuneECU select ECU/Connect and wait for the green light. On the Sensors page, select Sensors/List and tick "Throttle Position". Touch "Rec" until it lights-up green then red. Slowly and evenly roll the throttle from closed to fully open, then slowly and evenly roll it back to the closed position. Touch "Rec" again so it goes off. Touch ECU/Disconnect then "Datalog". Open the file you just created and examine the chart. The line should rise progressively from ~0% to 100% with no sharp jagged bits, then it should step back down progressively. See the attached picture. Any jagged bits (with erratic output) indicate the TPS is faulty. That will cause rich running at the faulty TPS% position. When you ride at that position for a while the ECU will try to adjust and correct the rich condition. All other throttle positions will then be too lean, so it will run badly until it has been held away from the bad spot for long enough to correct itself again. If you find the TPS is faulty you should fit a new one and use TuneECU to reset it, so it shows 0% with throttle closed (with idle speed knob backed-off) and 100% with throttle fully open.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Another point. If the stepper causes the bike to stall at low speed it may not start until you turn the ignition off then on again. This resets a stepper that has got itself lost. While the stepper is stuck open there will be too much air with the throttle closed, so it will not start. This happens occasionally with my TreK. I have been too lazy to replace the stepper now that I know I can instantly reset it by flicking the kill switch off then on again and restarting once the tacho has settled.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another point. If the stepper causes the bike to stall at low speed it may not start until you turn the ignition off then on again. This resets a stepper that has got itself lost. While the stepper is stuck open there will be too much air with the throttle closed, so it will not start. This happens occasionally with my TreK. I have been too lazy to replace the stepper now that I know I can instantly reset it by flicking the kill switch off then on again and restarting once the tacho has settled.
Hi, the stepper motor is new.

·
5,866 Posts
The stepper motor might be new, but is the piston tight in the cylinder?
If it is tight it may lose steps and not be where the ECU thinks it is. If it does this, the first thing to do is clean it in carby cleaner to get rid of the gum. If that doesn't free it up, you may need to clean the piston carefully with some fine emery paper. I had one recently that needed that, but it brought it back to life,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts