I rode it last night - it has fuel and was running great no probs
Went to start this am and turns but over wont fire at all
Batt lasted about 12 attempts to start 4 sec at a time

Any suggestions please?

Mike

·
Registered
209 Posts
Had the same thing. I picked the bike up after it's first service and rode 50 metres around the corner to the shop. It then refused to start even with additional battery packs. Turned out the plugs had totally foulled up and would not spark. Shop had to replace them to get it going.

I give it a night to "dry" out and try again. If still nothing then ring the shop and get them to pick it up.

ciao
Derek

·
5,934 Posts
Had the same thing. I picked the bike up after it's first service and rode 50 metres around the corner to the shop. It then refused to start even with additional battery packs. Turned out the plugs had totally foulled up and would not spark. Shop had to replace them to get it going.
I've found - several times now -:doh: - one thing you don't do with the 900, and it appears, the 1130 as well, is switch her off before she's properly warmed up. If you start it - ride it. Otherwise the plug/s will be oiled up the next time you attempt to start. Chances are high that one plug will not spark. At that stage, it's best to replace them all.

I have had some success cleaning them with oven cleaner though. Running a "cleaned" one at the moment.;)

·
Registered
113 Posts
tnt starting

Hi Mike just double check that the bike is definately in neutral. If its not in neutral it will spin over but not fire :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi Mike just double check that the bike is definately in neutral. If its not in neutral it will spin over but not fire :)
Also check the "kill switch" on the right side. This happened to me once when I had almost drowned the battery before I recognized it. Didn't know how it happened as it was at a road crossing.

Good luck

Mark

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would like to ask which idiot designed the TNT to kill ignition when the bike is in gear with the stand down - but not the starter motor.

WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT? :doh:

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Raphael

The same clown who wired the Trip/Clock/LapTimer mode select through the starter button. Hearing the starter solenoid clicking away in the fast lane (where else?) of the motorway scared me, so I wired a separate button in.

Is there an Italian expression for "design review"?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've an 04 TNT and sometimes it will not start on the button 1st time so after about 4-5 revolutions I turn off the ignition & then she'll start...evrytime go figure.....wot's that all about...beats me...????

Bubs

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
fuses

Well we checked the fuses and the injector fuse was blown, we replaced it and the bike started for 3 secs then stopped and fuse was blown, checking the wiring the META alarm wiring had been done with a hammer and spade and bare wires everywhere :mad:
Repaired said wires - the bike started - ran for 10 secs then all electrics stopped. I think the main fuse has gone but i guess more errant wiring to blame _ good news is its not the nellis fault just the alarm monkeys fault.

Its at 3x to dig about and see what can be done. Poo.

I managed to do my level 2 california superbike school on it last weekend (if it stopped then i would have been really cheesed off) it was great but wet to start with and my traction control unit was not functioning (i had cold hands!) rode around the outside of some french twit on a 07 gsxr 750 who was p*ssing me off. Nearly highsided myself into the pits - now i can lean - now i have to learn to stand it up asap exiting the corner to roll on the throttle with a bigger tyre contact patch instead of cranked over and 127 wheel bhp trying to stampede out in one go he he he... When it runs again of course!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Glad to hear you found the culprit...nothin' worse than not knowing..drives ya mad...aaaaaaargh...well ya back on the road & that's all that matters.

Bit of a love affair these ole nelli's !!

Bubs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same thing happened to me but worse...BEWARE

I had the same problem. The bike actually shut off on me once while riding. What we finally figured out is that the wires inside the wire going to the brake light were not heat shielded properly and would melt together and short out the bike. On day after hard riding the wires inside the sheath melted together and my TNT was out for the count. Apparently this has been happening a lot but Benelli has not acknowledged it. The will send you a replacement though which is nice. However, I would get this fixed ASAP so that the bike does not shut off on you while riding like it did for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts