Benelli Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks.
Now I'm down to earth again. Bike hadent missed a beat since i found out about my clutch being bad , but now suddenly out of nowhere it refuses to start. :confused:
Starter turns but not the sligtest "puf" and the temp gauge all of a sudden goes ballistic and takes rest way up high where i seems to "shake" a little. :rolleye
I didnt have my tools there so i could only try the standard things, fuses, sidestand and kill switch tampering.
I can't hear the fuel pump, while turning ignition on, but I'm not shure if that schould be possible.
Any ideas brothers :confused:

Cheers Per

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Maniac.
I will try and check this, but I doubt that the temp. gauge will be cured by this. :(
If anybody else has any experience regarding these situations please let me know.

Cheers Per

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was looking in the manual for this sensor and searched the forum treads by no luck. I,m sure I have read something about it somewhere, but cant find it now.
Little advice or guidance very welcome.

Cheers Per

·
Registered
113 Posts
tip over switch

Hi Samuel i think MANIAC could be on the right track as a faulty tip over switch can cause the temp gauge to flicker. The switch is mounted on the front of the airbox, Hope you get this sorted out soon :)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys.
Does anybody know what this sensor is called in the elektrical diagram that is in the workshop manual ? I have got the english workshop manual but the diagram is mostly written in italian :doh:
Can i just unplug this sensor when i find it, and then ride the bike ?

Cheers Per

·
VIN#ten
136 Posts
Thanks guys.
Does anybody know what this sensor is called in the elektrical diagram that is in the workshop manual ? I have got the english workshop manual but the diagram is mostly written in italian :doh:
Can i just unplug this sensor when i find it, and then ride the bike ?

Cheers Per
Sensore di caduta, according to my dearest :)

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi mates.

Finally got time to take my tools out and had a look at the bike tonight and guess what ?

It was a blown fuse :doh:

Little stange though. It was the 2AMPS fuse for instrumentation i think it is(there was actually a 3AMPS sitting in there)
Could only get hold of a 4AMPS (this is getting serious) that blew right away.
Replaced it with a 5AMPS that blew right away.
Finally as i wanted to find out exactly when the fuses blew (if it was when i put on the ignition or when i tried to start) the third 5AMPS fuse started the bike and everything seems normal (even the temp. gauge was ok now)
Is this vodoo or witchcraft or just plain italian bike cosynes :D
Of course i will go back to 2-3AMPS fuse tomorrow and see what happens.
Has any had any similar experience like this :confused:

Well it was nice listening to her again.
Thanks for your replyes anyway.

Cheer Per

·
5,934 Posts
Lucky you didn't start melting wires! Going from 2A to 5A is a bit radical.

Reckon you've got an intermittent short in your dash. No other explanation as to why it stopped blowing fuses.
If it starts blowing fuses again, try unplugging the dash to see if the fuse will survive that?

·
Registered
885 Posts
Maybe a bit of a longshot but mines(before I owned it) had an intermittent fault resulting in blown fuses and no-one could trace fault, except the russmiester himself, it turned out to be the battery had worn through the wiring harness and would short out from time to time in bumpy conditions, hence why mines has 6 previous owners everyone gave up and flogged it on to someone else!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well Kiddy maybe you are not that far from the truth.
Saturday the weather was so fine that i just had to take a ride.
First i wanted to replace the 5 AMPS fuse with a 3 AMPS.
Burnt 3 of them right away without getting the bike startet :(
Back in with the 5 AMPS and startet right away, Went to get her filled up. On the way there one caliper got stuck :doh:
Filled her up and got the caliper loose. Went home and on the way same caliper got stuck again.
All of sudden it felt right and i could take the bike home.
Got dressed up in leather and all.
Startet the bike and when i put it in gear i stopped :(
Three times same thing happened (at this point i was getting a little annoyed and forgot everything i've learned about the happines of owning an italian ikon)
Well fourth time i tried second gear and hurray, of we went.
Had a terrific ride of about 140 miles (tank was empty) and went in to have her filled up.
Wanted to start her again and bamm!!! 5 AMPS fuse went :clap:
Luckily they had some and put another 5 AMPS in and of we went.
Well i didn't dare anything else than bringing her home.
Really would have preferred this was a mecanical problem as that is more my playground :rolleyes:
But if any that now of these things have any ideas plese let me know.
Thank's anyway to Errol :)

Cheers Per

·
5,934 Posts
Within the first month or so, of owning mine, I lost all power, at night, on a back road. Fortunately it was a full moon so I could see enough to coast to a stop, and there was mobile coverage, so I could call my son, who picked me up with the trailer.
Turned out, that the loom just in front of the battery, had been cut through by the edge of the ECU support plate. It hadn't been de-burred and had a nice sharp edge.
You might have a look along the loom wherever it sits next to an edge on the frame.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks again Errol. Wish you were living closeby :D
I will take most of the bike apart this winter anyway so hopefully something will show up.
I have a feeling though that some of the switches is also taking the piss at me.

Cheers Per

1 - 14 of 14 Posts