Benelli Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went out today over to see russ at bennetts and explained my bike is running on two cylinders at low revs and chiming in to 3 over 3,000 revs,suspected plugs needed changing to which they were the originals (champions) and possibly water ingress in a coil. Did the strip down procedure and cleaned the coils which were good nick really new plugs etc and put back together ,all running fine for few minutes then it cut onto two and is now staying on two cylinders and also now the injection light has come on the clocks (top right orange light). not a happy bunny and tommorow going to again remove tank/airbox etc and see if by moving coil faulty cylinder moves + going to see if by disconnecting and reconnecting wiring it helps light go off although i suspect that seeing as it went from 3 cylinders to two and is now only two it will be a fault on an injector (didnt allow dirt in but did use smidgen of grease round airbox rubbers to assist airbox back on but not enough to block an injector. If all else fails i can see myself delivering up to bennetts and let the experts have a look . depressing to see it go from running good to bad within minutes. tonight checked fuse in fuse box for injectors and even disconnected battery in case sensors needed resetting. Ho hum :bawl:anyone had this injection light come and if so what was the outcome

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
update on my problem

well morning came and off with everything again ,changed offside coil to middle and problem has moved coil is very clean and the bike does again fire on three over 3,000 revs and below i can hear it chiming in intermittently !!(arrrgghhhh) . going to take coil off again clean and clean again but it looks like coil is on my xmas list . still have injection light on and have tried checking all injection connections and doing the wd40 spraying like i had shares in the company . think its dealer time ................... which will give me the excuse to have a small scratch on a panel attended to .:bawl: and more:bawl:.
If you hear of a siege going on at the NEC it'll be me holding the chinese representive to count and demanding my terms : coils coils coils!!!!!.

·
Registered
64 Posts
angledangle, had same problem as you until yesterday,i bought a new coil for the middle cylinder from my local citroen/peugeot dealer for £28.54, did the mods i found elsewhere on the forum and now have a very sweet running nelli:) :),hope this is of use to you.This is by no means a difficult job,should only take you 5mins to do the mods and hopefully get the same results:clap: :clap:

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
coil sourcing ? the type ?

hi thnx for your response its been a nightmare riding it a couple of times as you know as well . have seen the site info for mods but was interested to find out what the coil was you bought to substitute for original,ie model/type or whatever. thanks for any help if poss on above info request. thnx angus.

·
Registered
64 Posts
coils

hi Angus,I bought coils from peugeot/citroen ,they are for any 3ltr v6 circa 2002,the manufacturer is sagem,the model number is pbtp-gf20,the peugeot ref number is 597077.As i mentioned above the mods were very simple,hope this is of help to you:) :)

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
coils info

Hi thnx for getting back to me i've just bought a coil as you recommended,wifes gone to collect it, just a quick check what did you change on it, was it just removing the webs and mounting lug or is the connector on the top different and needs altering- believe the high tension ends ok and doesnt need changing. I'll do it over weekend and then its chocks away !!!. Ta angus.

·
Registered
64 Posts
hi angus ,yes you are correct in saying all you have to do is remove all the plastic around the coil that is lower than 25mm from the top of the coil and the web from under the connector.To do this i used a dremmel but an hacksaw would be fine,then replace and all should be fine, hope this is ok Russ:ele: :ele:

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
coils :smiles after the fitting

well really wanted to have a benelli coil part fitted but thought i'd go down the modifying route first. bought a coil as reccomended but the top of it is quite unusual and doesnt allow the mounting plate put over it to fit properly but i altered that as well and he presto it runs fine !!.:D . i also refitted all relays after spraying with wd40 and the injection lights now gone off as well .
because of the fitting of this coil i have had to remove my altered drain hole and going to drill a new location.I cant complain after all seems right and the new coil is fitted with more weather ingress protection so should help as well.
I would recommend this mod if your bikes out of warranty but advise anyone else to go down proper channels as i value the benelli dealerships help and back up.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Have a look on Engenias website as these coil mods are listed there in more detail- very helpful :clap:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts