Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I forgot to introduce myself before my first post. My name is Mark White, I live in Oakland, California. I'm a total Italian bike freak and love the Tornado. I had a deposit in with the local dealership in June of 2001 for one, but it has never happened.
I'm also a club racer in the oldest roadracing club in the US,
the AFM. Anyway, greetings to all, I look forward to corresponding with the folks on this forum.
mark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Welcome Mark,

What kind of bike do you ride then.
If you are interested you can buy my Tornado:rollin
(it's at the dealer with an exploded clutch basket)

greeting from Holland

Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ed. I ride a Duc 748, Aprilia Mille-R, Bimota DB4, and MV Agusta Brutale. I've lusted after the Tornado since before it came out. Where in Holland are you? I was there in June visiting my friend Riny who has a Bimota DB4 just like mine, he's in Bergharen, a small village about an hour and a half southeast of Amsterdam.

Sounds like your Tornado is a "lemon"? At least they are repairing it under warranty...

best regards,
mark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hai Mark

Impressing list of bikes you have.:b
I live in Almere (about 30 km north east of Amsterdam) and I hope my bike will be repaird under warranty because it's 25 months old

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Ed, yeah, I'm quite lucky to own such a collection! I hope your Benelli will be covered by the factory, a clutch basket failure is not something that should happen unless the part was defective from the start.

Have you heard anything about the reliability of the '05 models? If I get one it will be a brand-new 2005.
best -
mark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Greetings Mark,

Really nice collection you have there! You are living my dream!!!

I have an AFM number plate... although that doesn't mean much now 'cause I'm not racing.

I have a '05 Tornado. It runs fine, no leak, got the expected clutch upgrade and replaced the battery. It's now sitting pretty in my garage on a battery tender.

Toby

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Toby, nice to hear from you. So you must have lived out here at some point to have an AFM plate? Glad the '05 Tre is working well for you. The one I would be getting will have the hydraulic clutch conversion installed (by Evolucione Cyclesports) and the importer is also replacing the battery when the bikes arrive. So, now I just have to decide if I can afford to buy the bike ;-)
mark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yep, got mine at Sears Point, 250 cc class. Unfortunately I don't live in Oakland, I am in smoggy L.A.

I wish I could take my Tre off the battery tender soon... don't want to ride it now as I am waiting for the factory oil filter to arrive so I could perform oil change, and take it to Evoluzione for its first service.

My good friend Steve Biganski (you might have heard of him as an expert tuner of 2-stroke bikes) had agreed to take a stab at the Benelli as well. He does brilliant engine work! He works on four stroke bikes as well, dirt and street! I'm very excited about that. However I would be much happier if the Benelli factory could provide better support... all the horror stories I read here in the forum is discouraging.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep good old Sears Point (err... Infineon). Very fun track, very technical. I raced in August there in our 4-hour endurance race. I have heard of Steve, not sure if I ever met him in person though.

Sounds like you may be able to get the alternate oil filter if aussievtr is successful with it.

So, did you get your bike through Elias? I talked to him yesterday.

Hopefully Benelli will get back on track, and get a "real" dealership network set up in the US. My local Ducati dealership (Munroe Motors in SF) is supposed to be a Benelli dealer, but they have gotten nothing from Benelli yet. I don't really want to have to go all the way down to Evoluzione for service if I end up getting a Tre....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Currently racing an SV650. In the 4-hour I rode a GSXR750 - way fun! Started my racing career on two Yamaha FZR400's, did 3 seasons on those before switching to the SV. I love twins so the SV is perfect for me.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mark,

Good luck w/ the bike. I too had a deposit down w/ Munroe back in 2002. After following the highs and lows on this board, I got my money back last year.

I thought about buying a grey-market bike but after being on this board as long as I have I certainly don't want to buy a Benelli w/o a warranty. Hell I wouldn't buy ANYTHING Italian w/o a warranty ;)

Let us know how it goes - I'm jealous.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Chris, yeah, after waiting so long, I just had to take a chance. From what I've seen, the 2005 models are much better sorted out, so I feel reasonably comfortable buying one. I just couldn't see spending $27k or more for an LE, especially when it was a 2002 model, which still had all kinds of issues.

I own 5 Italian bikes already, and I've never had any big problems with any of them. My 748 has a weird electrical issue that I can't figure out, but the others have been rock-solid.

'94 RVF400RR - NICE! I used to race in the 450 classes in AFM. I'd love to ride one of the Honda V4 400's, they are pretty dominant in the 450 superbike class.

mark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SV650! Very cool. I'm doing some work on my SV650... first generation... switching out the front end to a Gixxer 1000's, changing out the rear shock as well. Do you know these guys: www.svraceshop.com/

I am not sure what tire to use on the SV... I've been using 208ZRs on the SV. They guys at SV RaceShop recommends the Michelin Pilot Powers... My past experience with the Michelin was that it requires longer warm up time and it's very sensitive to temperature changes (I will be using the SV for canyon riding as well, not just on the track.) Have you any experince with the pilot powers? What's your recommendation?

However lately I am having a blast on my CRF250! Compared to street bike, there's just so much I could learn from riding dirt, and it's so much less expensive to make mods.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi Toby, wasn't familiar with SVRaceShop, these are the guys who built my engine:

www.twinworksfactory.com/

They do a lot of the SV650s that race in AFM. Mine is a 1st-generation SV as well, 2001 chassis. GSXR600 front end, CBR600F2 rear wheel (so I can run a 165 slick). About 80hp at the rear wheel.

Tires, well I run Michelin slicks on my SV, as it's a race-only bike. But forget your past experience with Michelins if it's more than 2 years ago - the newest Michelins warm up nicely. I haven't had any experience with the new Pilot Powers on the street, but my friends who use the race version love them.
CRF250 - what year, which model? I was thinking about picking up a CRF250X, but haven't made up my mind yet.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes, it has been more than 2 years since my last Michelin. Thanks for the info. I will give it a try, should be fun!

I did leave out the "X" in my '05 CRF250 :D I really wanted a "R" but I need the green sticker more... I am sure you understand how we Californian feel about the red/green stickers :evil :x As soon as I got my CRF250X I lost the trail stuff, no more e-starter, starter engine, battery... tried to loose as much weight as possible. Be sure to get the boyesen water pump, rejet (go rich... it was lean enough for the EPA but runs really hot!) check out www.crfsonly.com/

sorry, I know this is supposed to be a forum for Benelli... oh well... the thing is, when I get tired of waiting for parts and some good news from the Benelli factory, I need to have some alternative serious fun... hope you'll understand :lol

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: Lightweight bike tires

Toby,

I run Metzeler Rennsports on my RVF400 and really like them. I used to be able to get them from my regular tire place (swmototires.com) but it looks like Metzeler reclassified them as "race tires" so they're harder to find. I'm also happy w/ Pirelli slicks on my Gixxer (in the same family as Metzeler). I think the WSB work has helped them a lot. so you could look into the Pirelli Dragon Corsas.

I've also heard good things about the Pilot Powers (one of the guys on the local VFR list has been RAVING about them..) I would be nervous about using them on the track on a big bike but they should be fine w/ the SV.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Chris,

Have you talked to Elias at GP Star? The TRE he sells are backed by a 1 year parts only warranty (no labor.) Contact info is on his site: gpstar.net

Thanks for the tire recommendation. I did run with Pirelli on my NSRs for a while, thanks to the Aprilia Cup then the Michelin. I did like its profile for the front compared to the Michelin's back then (less hairy.) Well, at the pace I'm running now I should be happy even with a pair of toyos

Hey! RVF400, really nice... as Ducboy had already pointed out! Lucky Her! :D Really nice line up of bikes you have there, right bike for the right occasion...one for street, one for her, one for track, now you'll just need a TRE for Hollywood. :hat

Toby

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Chris, after doing more research about the Michelin Pilot Power I am begining to become, uh, very afraid. (I did order a pair of them for my SV... but I am thinking of selling them at the track now...) I think you're right about fitting them on bigger bikes could be bad ideas. I would most likely stay with Dunlop for the Tre.

Without digging through archieved posting... Why? Why is the Michelin Pilot Power better than others? Do the characteristics of a tire from manufacturers change so much within 2 years?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

The tire characteristics change drastically in 2 years! 2 years ago I wouldn't run the Michelin DOTs on my race bike, but the new Pilot Power Race tires are awesome! Everyone I know who has tried them loves them. The older Michelins didn't heat up very quickly; the new ones don't have that issue.
Tire technology filters down to the consumer market from what they use in MotoGP and WSBK.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts