Benelli Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hope someone can give me advice please.
Just bought a 2003 tornado 3900miles, has had 3 services, last one 280 miles ago in Jan 2007.
I luv it but sadly it is very ruff at start-up ,firing erracticaly on only 2 cyl then at 3k revs it goes on to 3cyl and sings.Murder to ride in town,revving and slipping clutch to move from lights etc please tell me its something easy,it is under a limited warranty until Jan 2008.

·
1,841 Posts
Hi Quattro, What you describe is most probably the ignition coils shorting. The coils are fitted direct to the sparkplugs and are prone to get water past the rubber seal then corrode and short out. The middle one is most prone.
I have just fitted new Irridium plugs to mine and found bad corrosion.
Get your dealer to remove and check, it is a time consuming job,but it can be done quicker than the manual method,(ask if you need to know and i will try and write down)

·
Super Moderator
7,769 Posts
Hi John and welcome to the Forum fella.

I'm with Colin on this one.

If they are not well sealed with silicon when the coils are fitted they fail and you soon find you are running on only 2 cylinders. Check to see if the middle down pipe is cold compared to the two outer pipes and if it is, I would lay money on it that the middle stick coil is duff.

You will need to remove the fuel tank and air box to get access to the coils.

By the way, I noticed that your in Aberdeen, one of the guys on the Forum that has a LE model is also up there. Have you seen him about by any chance?

Colin,

Did you notice any difference after you fitted the iridium plugs?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi Laurence and Colin

thanks for your quick reply.

I am 40miles N of A berdeen..... is nearest Benelli dealer in Barnsley !

Can the coils be ordered singly or should i replace and silicone 3 new ones ?

i will have to check the warranty small print carefully , they will prob try & squirm out of it.
Is this something a local bike tech could do ?

No laurence i have'nt seen the LE yet, i have only had the bike 6 days !

·
1,841 Posts
Hi Laurence, I cant really say I noticed a difference as I just got back from Germany and my bike was filthy from the pouring rain at Nurburgring and on the way home !!:bawl: so I stripped it and gave it a good clean and fitted the plugs and refitted the standard exhaust (The Beowulf starts to get on your t..ts after a long run) It does seem to be going well as it keeps on wheelying ! mind you that could be my beer gut pushing me further back on the seat :gulp: ?
One thing I noticed when removing the coils.... when you undo the nut to the coil holding plate it is best to hold the plate as the nut is undone as I feel you may damage the coil as it moves with the nut (if you see what i mean)
PS your coils are probably ok when cleaned and resealed.
PPS just remembered, when I said there is a quicker method, you can get the middle coil and plug out with just the tank and airbox removed but to do all 3 you need to remove the fairings which does take a bit of time....

·
Super Moderator
7,769 Posts
See replies in red below:-

hi Laurence and Colin

thanks for your quick reply.

I am Miles N of A berdeen..... is nearest Benelli dealer in Ansley !
KJM has advised me a while back that Border Bikes in Berwick-upon-tweed are Benelli Dealers but they don't even get a mention on their website. http://www.borderbikes.co.uk/index.html
I'd be contacting Bennett's or KJM if I was you. :clap:

Can the coils be ordered singly or should i replace and silicone 3 new ones ?
Coils can be replaced singly, in fact I have only heard of the centre ones ever being replaced, but I would check the condition of all 3 and see what condition they are in first.

i will have to check the warranty small print carefully , they will prob try & squirm out of it.
Is this something a local bike tech could do ?
I can't see any reason why not as long as they can get the part.

No laurence i have'nt seen the LE yet, i have only had the bike 6 days !

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Laurence thanks,
the town was wrongly spelled ..BARNSLEY i should have written, which i think is Bennets,
I will order a centre coil tomorrow.

Colin,
can you please give me the instructions for replacing the coil, thanks !

John

·
1,841 Posts
Here goes then, (laurence please correct if I miss anything)
remove seat, have tank low on fuel, remove 2 bolts on ignition switch cover and remove cover, undo 2 bolts at front and 1 at rear, lift tank out, you can leave the wire and fuel connection connected (a mate is required to assist) you will need to remove two vent pipes and tape them to the frame or they fall down. it is best to tie the tank so it is suspended if you can ie from the garage roof. If you want to remove tank completly you need the little black plastic thingy and plug as in tools supplied, but ill explain later if req.
Next undo the airbox cover allen screws remember there is one in the middle, put screws safe. undo the 2 allen screws at the front of the box, undo the breather pipe at rear, at rear right there is a small pipe which can be pulled down off, remove the filter and two grids, Now you can gently pull the base off being careful of the stepper on the right side and the enterance air sensor on the left side, at the front in the middle is a fallover switch which can be left in place, the rubbers have 4mm allen key screws which can be reached with a long key from the rear or I push the rubbers out as i lift off then you can easily undo and remove rubbers and put back in the box , you need to lift the rear and it can jiggle it out being careful of the tipswitch.
cover the inj bodies, now undo coil securing bracket holding carefully with grips to stop it turning as the 10mm nuts are tight. clean gunge away, Now gently twist the top of the coil and lift it out. clean with rag etc with plug in and then remove plug and replace, I then used silicon grease et the bottom seal and at the top pulled the rubber seal down beaded with silicon sealant then pulled back up then siliconed the outsie off the seal and refitted. hold down and be careful when tightening the bracket that you dont twist and damage the coil. Put it back in reverse remember a long allen key and poss a mirror and good light to tighten rubbers. silicon grease on stepper seal and rubbers helps. If doing all 3 the fairings etc need to be removed, if you want a cd of manual send me a PM with an address and I will send you one PWhewwww......... hope that helps colin...:)
ps you may have missed the ps above your coil may not have failed just may be shorting ! but I would get a new plug any way and remember you need a cap nut as the ngk come with just the threaded connection.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
M & S Motorcycles in Newcastle are now offical Benelli dealers again. They have just signed up to start from September I am led to believe. They are a large dealers and I can recommend them with Ducati motorcycles and hopefully I will have the same level of service with the benelli I have ordered from them.

http://www.mandsmotorcycles.co.uk

·
Registered
19 Posts
centre coil

Can't see if anybody's mentioned it yet, but one problem with the middle coil is that Benelli have placed the air filter water drain directly above it! Classy bit of design that.
Don't know if it was fixed on later models, but I've blocked this drain on my '05 and drilled and alternative in a more sensible position.

This will all be obvious when you take the filter box off...

Cheers
Neil

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well, thanks for all the info fellow bennys.

colin, i followed your instructions to the letter and all went well,the centre downpipe was cooler Laurence ! so replace centre coil!

i tele bennnets who had a stick coil in stock, but ouch £150.57.
they informed me to also blank off/seal the original airbox drain hole and make a new one with drain pipe leading away from the center cylinder and coil to the front of the engine.also advised to seal with silicone.
Apparently they carry out these mods during PDI of all new tornados.

will keep you all posted

·
Super Moderator
7,769 Posts
Great instructions Colin, Well done that man:clap: :clap: :clap:

John, before you go to the expense of purchasing a new coil, try and clean and re-seal the old one as Colin has suggested, as it might still be OK and could save you a packet.

Please let us all know how you get on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Colin,

disc arrived this morning !

Donation made to RNLI
rgds
John

ps...not fully completed the work yet,decide to replace spark plugs as well while i am at this point of access etc.

·
5,886 Posts
it is very ruff at start-up ,firing erracticaly on only 2 cyl then at 3k revs it goes on to 3cyl and sings.
Quattro, just a thought. Try changing the plugs first. Probably won't fix it, but if it does, you can return the coil and head down the pub for some free beers.

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
Quattro, just a thought. Try changing the plugs first. Probably won't fix it, but if it does, you can return the coil and head down the pub for some free beers.
That's what I did - unfortunately it didn't work!

Bike ready again this Friday, just in time for out (lack of) Summer to disappear!

Oh well, always next year!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
all's well in the end

Bike is now great !:clap:
thanks to everyone who helped with advice etc.
I did buy a new coil but it was not needed, i cleaned up the old one ,modded the airbox and changed the plugs,Bob's your uncle .Now have a spare coil.

I have been smitten with the style/sound /looks of this bike and have now struck a deal to trade-in for a red RS .
I spoke to blue-flame ref an end can,is there any differnce in the link pipe dia for an RS ? and will it need re-mapped ?
J

·
5,886 Posts
Quattro, I have just put mine back together after stripping it down to find the source of iron particles in my oil. I forgot to reconnect the airbox temp sensor. It ran for about 5 minutes before #1 plug broke down.
If I've learnt 1 thing about this bike, it likes clean plugs. No amount of cleaning them after they've carboned up will help.
I haven't had a coil fail (yet), but have changed the airbox drain to a grommet/hose. The hose directs the water to the front right of the engine.
I super-glued the hose to the grommet, at as much angle as I could get. See pics below.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good mod !!!

Thanks Engenia, :bow:

I will copy this mod on my RS when it arrives and check the air sensor connection !
rgds
J

1 - 19 of 19 Posts