Benelli Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive always had the RS occasionally idle at 2000 rpm when stationary in gear with the clutch in. normally its around 1300rpm in the same situation, but occasionally it will stay at 2000rpm even when warm. I have to let the clutch out a bit with the front brakes applied to give it a "wake up" and it'll drop back down to 1300 rpm in gear with clutch in 90% of the time, thus allowing me to put into into nuetral if required.
I take it its the neutral "switch / sensor " in the gearbox telling the ecu to idle higher when its cold, but it alos does it when its warm, making selecting neutral impossible, however when you let the clutch out a bit and load up the transmission it then seems to cause something to happen and the 1300 rpm idle comes good.
Is their a sensor I can access to clean / inspect to get rid of this erratic higher idle happening?

·
1,841 Posts
Hi Nathan,my rs has done as you describe, it always dropped back to normal as soon as in nuetral.Mine did it from new until I set the throttles as close as possible and balanced with as little bypass as needed.With mine set like this the stepper is at correct opening (35 steps). With the triumphs that use the same ecu the manual states that you set the throttles to alter the idle stepper point until correct. Although the benelli manual states you can adjust the stepper to the correct step,(if incorrect) I have found only by setting throttles as close as poss so that the steps are correct without using the adaptive stepper is the best way to make the engine run sweet. (And it stopped the high idle thing)
There is another way you can stop it,that is by connecting the wire from the neutral sensor to ground close to the ecu plug. The rs is wired different to the tre and the nuetral switch (that just grounds when in nuetral) is also informing the ecu when it is in gear or not in gear.(simply by grounding when in nuetral) When in gear it shuts fuel completly above 2800rpm for emission reasons I assume. As it sees it as in nuetral all the time with the mod then it will idle as it does in nuetral.I find mine nicer to ride as it runs on with throttle closed so less engine braking making a smoother ride etc..
colin...

·
ENGLAND FOREVER
1,565 Posts
My RS has done the same thing since the day i got it, at first it used to really piss me off but i have got used to it now. The only time its an issue is on slow 1st gear corners where i get the sort of ON/OFF throttle. The only good thing is that i know when its in neutral without looking down at the display.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Last time i went to my Benelli guru in Flensburg Germany Mr. Marc I was complaining about the same isssue and was told that this is a kind of "launch control" made by the ECU to pick up revs sligtly before letting the clutch go.
I havent noticed that closely if it's only when the bike is in higher gears and as i recall his answer it shoulden't be happening allways.
This might be the reason.
Will try and get a straigt answer next time i speak to him.

Cheers Per

·
1,841 Posts
On the RS model when in neutral terminal (p2 d2) on the ecu is grounded. When in any gear p2 d2 in not grounded and the ecu must have a command that causes the revs to rise. As I said before with the valves very shut mine stopped doing the rev increase. I have set the throttle valves slightly open and in this case the rise in revs becomes higher.
It is possable to prevent the rev rise by altering the adaptive stepper point,but I have found then that the running of the engiine is not perfect and stalling can occur etc..
I doubt if we will ever find out the full program commands in the ecu, but I suspect that when the ecu is signaled to be in gear (ie no ground to p2 d2) that it may advance the ignition slightly,or looking at it the other way when in neutral it retards the ignition for smoother idle.
colin..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts