Benelli Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
My Benelli TNT125 is hitting a rev limiter at 5K and I cant figure out why. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

The bike starts fine, high ideals and then settles to what sounds like a normal tick over at about 750rpm. Which I think means the choke isn't stuck on.
Bike rides and pulls fine to 5K RPM in any gear, but at 5K it hits and bounces off an electronic rev limiter.

I've serviced the bike, with spark, oil, filters. Just done the oil again again as getting it on the good red stuff (Motul 7100). So it's not oil level.

Only other thing I can think of is stand sensor, but would it still ride in all gears?
I'm new to bikes, but have been servicing and repairing mine and the wives cars for 20+ years, so happy with mechanics and electrics.

·
Registered
890 Posts
It does sound too low. Is it exactly the same revs every time? or does it vary. I’m assuming it’s got an ecu! If so it will need to be setup in diagnostics. But if it varies a little it may be a bad connection on the injection or ignition side and vibration might be triggering it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It does sound too low. Is it exactly the same revs every time? or does it vary. I’m assuming it’s got an ecu! If so it will need to be setup in diagnostics. But if it varies a little it may be a bad connection on the injection or ignition side and vibration might be triggering it.
Yep same reves at all times. Standard rev limiter should be about 11k.
It has an ECU as its fuel injected.

Reading around it seems the 5k rev limiter is on when the bike thinks the stand is down. So next up is to work out how to check the stand sensor.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
are we talking about a brand new bike or a used one. ?
i dont know these bikes but do they have a break in rev limit to be removed at a dealer after say 1500 miles ect .?

or could just be a bad ecu ive seen many tnt125 ecu`s for sale on ebay .....hmmm

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Its a 2019 bike, so not run in limited

Today I found the stand sensor was not installed correctly. So removed, cleaned and reinstalled correctly.
I also found the stand sensor was disconnected. Somebody has been playing with the electric on this bike!

Reconnected and now the bike doesn't start with the stand down, and cuts off the engine when put down. This I think is normal behaviour for a Euro 4 bike.
It does tell me that the stand sensor is now working.
Still limited to 5k RPM. The hunt continues.

Next up is to disconnect the battery and let it sit, then reconnect and see if it just needs resetting.

Any other areas anybody can think to to try?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts