Benelli Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put my Benelli on a dyno today.

93hp at the wheel. Thats like 20 short of what it should be (on paper is 136 at the crank)!
Anyone else did the same, so we can compare results?

·
150 Posts
dyno

My tornado 900:

Cranksaft:
126 hp, 9850 rpm
10.3 m.kg, 8138 rpm

Gearbox:
120.2 hp, 9850 rpm
9.9 m.kg, 8138 rpm

Wheel:
115.4 hp, 9850 rpm
9.5 m.kg, 8138 rpm

W: Pekka

·
Registered
256 Posts
differences

Might be worth you guys comparing fuel maps, mileage etc

Ir - what kind of tank range do you get - should get about 120-140 depending on how brave you are with the fuel light;)

Must say mine feels pretty lively and although I haven't dyno'd it, it feels way more powerful than my vtech vfr - and at a recent track day did not have any problems at all dispatching vfrs and various others up the straights under power - would have thought 93 bhp would not allow this!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no idea about tank range, i only do trackdays with it.

The figures you printed here above, are they for a stock tornado, with original muffler?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Yeah....totally stock, but must admit not so good on track:rolleyes: but at Brands indy you reckon on a 1 min lap = 1mile and you're out for approx 20 mins, so 4 sessions before lunch = approx 80 miles where mine is down to the last 2 bars which is about 20 miles down from normal....if any of this helps at all:)

Sean

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh boy, my engine is in trouble i guess :/

Maybe all these clutch issues have put too much crap in the oil, which has caused engine damage? :(

Anyhow, I m checking out options to get another bike, not a Benelli dough, to continue my trackday-season... It just never ends, small niggles and issues ....

In 3 years of ownership:
- broken battery
- leaking radiator
- lots of slipping clutch issues
- oil leak at balance shaft cover
- snapped clutch cable
- rusted waterpump axle
- horsepower issues

the last 5 ones in a timespan of less than 6 months :/

Friends of mine who have R6 / CBR600RR, in 3 years of ownership:
no issues

Moreover the bike is nearly 30kg heavier than a 2004 GSXR750...

Guess my Benelli will retire sooner than I thought in my living room :(
This "horsepower loss" could end up costing some cash....
And i really dont wanna find my self 2000km from home, at some multi-day track event with a "small niggle" again on my bike, after day 1, which I cannot repair ...

I guess it'll be "Jap-Crap" for me, until I am rich enough to afford myself 2 Italian Stallions to take along to trackdays ....

In a way it sucks, but I guess its the only wise choice, from a financial point of view, and to have "peace of mind" when riding.

Anyway, if this happens, you ll see some spare parts appearing on the for sale section ;)

·
5,967 Posts
ir_fuel, have you tried to track down the reason for your power loss?
Compression test - dry & wet?
valve clearances?
Valve timing - do all the marks line up?
throttle body synchronisation, range?
Reinstall the map?
Stepper working properly?

I wouldn't be getting rid of it until I knew what the issue was.

Of all your issues, only the last one is a concern. Even a slipping clutch shouldn't cause any long term problems, as long as your oil filter is changed regularly. If you still have the old ones, cut them open and eyeball the detritus. If it's clogged, you'll see it, and that would be bad, because the bypass valve would be operating.

Good luck, and keep the faith,
Errol

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
true, only the last one is a real concern, but then again, all the other ones have made me miss a trackday, or have to stop a trackday. Thats what i said, even being minor issues, it always spoils the fun of riding it. When you leave the pitlane and cannot accelerate past 50km/h because of the clutch, well, your day is over. Same story for a rusty waterpump axle, or the oil leak at the balance shaft cover.
The question also arises "what will be next?". I spent more time fixing issues on this bike the last 4 months, than i did the entire 3 years before. For me that is a bad sign. I just dont feel like throwing any more money at it getting it fixed. Guess it ll quickly be another 500€ bill. Thanks but no thanks....

Anyway, gonna pick up my gixxer tomorrow. You ll see some Benelli Tornado spare parts in the for-sale section pretty soon (front wheel, radiator, subframe, ....) ;)

Well, it has been one hell of a good time with the bike.....

·
341 Posts
irfuel, best of luck with the gixxer, I for one I would have got a Daytona 675 as a replacement but the 750 gixxer is surely one of the best choices you can make for the track.
The Tornado would have been a great platform for a great bike if somebody bothered to give some attention to the rather small array of problems that occur with this bike (always the same).

·
463 Posts
Ihad a test ride on an 06 GSXR 750 yesterday, to be honest i was gob smacked how good it was, it does everything so easily, plus its got all the goodies ,radial brakes, slipper clutch etc, when my TNT gets back from KJM its getting sold and im getting the Suzuki.

·
341 Posts
Speaking about goodies, I love the gear indicators on the Suzi's. I won't have one for sure. I still love the triples too much. The 675 from Triumph is a blast. Even MV Agusta is thinking of bringing a 675 triple on the market.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I can sympathise with anyone who defects. I love my Tornado more than any other bike I have ever owned, but lord knows she is testing my patience! Since picking her up in June, she has had about 15 man hrs spent on her. New clocks, valve stem seals first time, then something up in the fuel system second time causing a nasty blowback which felt like something mechanical, so even had Russ stumped for a while! The fuelling is now better than its ever been and rides beautifully, but still a couple of stalls so not perfect, and one of the rectifiers (at least I think thats what it is) started making a noise when I got it home. Removed it and refitted and that seems to have stopped for now, but all in all if you are not a mechanical genius like Errol, I think owning this bike without a warranty will be a big gamble. It will hurt me to sell her, but I need to think hard about how much risk I am prepared to take before the warranty runs out next year. I can certainly see why the prices crash once warranty is done.

Col

·
3,087 Posts
Hp

mine did 112.7 or something with a sport pipe, its never been tuned, lord knows it need it, I think she'll do 118 to 120 once she's fettled

1 - 14 of 14 Posts