Benelli Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a very enjoyable post tt ride out yesterday to Hawes. "Making good progress" for the the 60 or so miles each way all seemed well with the world..

But (there has to be a but...)

The temp guage was very high but i believe that i have the original untrustworthy clocks and was not too concerned as their were no signs of overheating even with the needle in the red.

On the way home the guage was actaully past the red zone (pointing straight up in the 12o'clock position ) but no warnings on the dash for temp or warning light, so remained unconcerned.

However when i got into town (only a few minutes town riding, not stuck in traffic or anything)i stopped at a mates and the bike bolied over....coolant over the floor and a fair bit of steam. I let i cool down and rode the few miles home with no apparent ill effects.

On checking it seemed to have lost half a litre or so of coolant. I refilled to the top of the filler (as i belive is the correct way, rather than to the lines on the catch tank) and squeezed the two main water pipes to bleed the system.(i did try the leaning it over method, but on my own could only get it say 35 deg over safely and could not tell if it did any good)

Started it up an guage etc seemed back to normal, no leaks etc.
The fans always seem to work as they should so am at a bit of a loss.

Any ideas? could it have been overfilled? dodgy core plug or act of god?

From all i have learned on the excellent forum (!) the odd incidnet like this is not unheard of, but would appreciate input.

·
Benelli Wannabe !
6,865 Posts
Mine did a similar thing in traffic yesterday going through Bridgnorth town, Bloody road works, I think I pissed a few motorists off simply because I can ! :D ........... filter through the traffic that is ! ;) My temp. needle was pointing towards the heavens but I ignored it as I know it's happened before, it didn't reset until we stopped for a break and restarted the bike again, didn't have any over heating though !

:clap:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
271 Posts
That's my problem of the last 9 months

It ended up with the bike towed back home yesterday night after a full shut down of the bike.

be vigilant.

·
T900 TRE is the plate!
434 Posts
Same for me on the Mega Ride yesterday. Que to get into start of the run sent the temp up to 12.00 top of the red and then the parade at 35 mph did not help. Quick blast away from the parade down the A38 Tamar Bridge roundabout and back up to The Hoe to join 6000 + bikes of all shapes and sizes soon cooled it.

6000 bikes and only 1 Nellie! Could have sold the bike about 10 times in an hour on The Hoe.

Line of bikes on the road yesterday was about 12-14 miles long. Took 40 minutes for all of the bikes to pull off and get on the road.

http://www.mega-ride.co.uk/gallery.html

Dave

·
No good with spanners....
MV F3 RC, TNT 899
3,415 Posts
mine runs hot in town,no question.

I have been told by my local dealer that any crap on the speed sensor on the back wheel will show itself as the bike running hot on the temp gauge.Dont know how accurate this is but after having the wheel out at service mine did this,so i took the wheel out gave the sensor a clean and no probs now,even after filtering in traffic all day in southampton and around the new forest,didnt get above 95.

Could have been told a bunch of porkies tho.................:confused: :doh:

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cheers guys,
it was pretty warm yesterday and was "utilizing the machines performance envelope" (!) when out and about but was somewhat bemused when it boiled over in town. I had assumed nothing more than dodgy clocks but obviously not....

I did check the coolant level when it came back from the dealer, though recall it was set to that prescibed in the manual. From what i have read here that could be too high. I have now filled only to the filler cap, could it just have been overfilled before? *(please say yes!..)

will try and give it blast tonight and see what happens...if it dont rain...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts