Benelli Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guy's, I've just finished fitting the starter motor drive gears to my TnT..... yes! It now spins over with might when hot now!

Part numbers are...
R1911 3111A
R1911 3201A

Took me 3 hours to fit them, yee ha! I reckon the Tornado boys should get onto these. I had thought that my Tornado's were struggling on the starter motor, everyone thought it was weak batteries or cables....no way, this is like a new bike :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hot starting

Well I ran the bike on the weekend, it failed to start hot a couple of times but overall it seemed about 50% better...... hmmmm, back to the drawing board :|

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: hot starting

Have you tried increasing the battery cable size?

Certainly made a difference on my Tre. Tax found the same.

I don't have a problem with mine, she's only refused to start once, and it wasn't long before she relented, but doubling the cable capacity certainly made her spin over easier.

The TNT is way different layout to the Tre, but for what it's worth, find pix of my mods here

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Johnny 0, by increasing the battery cable to 16mm does make a big difference and with a larger capacity battery (not fitted yet) I don’t think we would have the hot start problem, the other annoying problem is that the alternator output is not enough to recoup the battery during an average ride.
I went out on Sunday (got caught in the ******rain):lol but the TNT ran the smoothest it’s ever been?????. I have postponed getting the engine dynode for a week to try 2 more idea’s right or wrong I have convinced myself that the air sensor and ign timing are the main culprits for the majority of starting and erratic running problems, ready for next weekend I am going to bypass the air sensor and fit a potentiometer this means I can fool the ECU into thinking the air temp is anything I want I can then see once and for all what affect the air temp sensor has on the ECU I spoke to “the ecu man” Sunday he thinks he can rig up a small data logger that will monitor and record the ign settings whilst out riding if it is the above that is causing so much grief curing it cheaply will be possible.:\
vtxbrit

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

This sounds very much like a common issue on Aprilias caused by the factory fitting substandard wiring in the starter circuits. If you hit the starter whilst the crank shaft is near max compression, the starter would not be able to draw enough juice to turn it. This in turn would often drain all power from the dashboard and cause a complete reset.

On the af1 racing forums (www.af1racing.com) there are guides to beefing the wiring. Basically they either replace or run additional wires along the start circuits. They also solder all the joints.

I had a friend of mine who runs a Street Fighter building company do the mods to my Falco which resulted in the measured voltage across my starting circults going from 12.6volts to 14.6 volts. The bikes starts so much easier now.

ciao
Derek

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hot start problem

Hi Guys,
just wanted to know how many of you fixed their Hot start problem by replacing the originals 8mm cables with 16mm ones?
Was that a definitive solution for you?

Any other solution you'd recommend ?

thanks ;-)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hot start problem

...another question.
Anybody knows where i can buy 16mm cables that would work? I live in France but could buy them on a UK site as well ;-)
thanks, K.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts