Benelli Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After going out with Kiddy at the weekend it got me thinking about the accuracy of the fuel guage on the Benelli. I left Edinburgh with one bar from the top showing on the guage and by the time i had got to Kiddys' bit (about 30 miles away) it had dropped to just three bars showing in total. This was motorway driving for 90% of the time. I also noticed that when you fill the tank to the brim you can go for what seems to be an age without the level dropping at all and then when it does it seems to drop quite quickly.This can't be right surely:confused: Is it just me or has anyone else noticed this:confused:

Al;)

·
Bald tattooed member
1,257 Posts
yeah mine stays on full bars for ages, i've done 60 miles & it still was on full the i looked down about 3 miles later & it was on 3 bars :confused: :confused: & mine always goes really quick once its got to 3 bars down to none showing :bawl: :bawl:

·
northern member
2004 Tornado
623 Posts
Arn't they Full/Emply indicators cause there's no way they tell you whats in the tank:)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Accurate mine is not, but consistant it is.
About 50 miles till the bars drop, then it drops about a bar for 10 miles till the light comes on with 2 bars remaining.

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Out of curiosity, does anyone know how the guage actually measures the fuel in the tank?

Al:confused:

·
TnT explosive tester
1,011 Posts
Im sure Errol has this info on his site

It was posted on here a couple of months ago, have a search for it

The Tnt drops 20 miles for each of the first 3 bars then 10 for the next five then flashes 2 till empty at about 90-100 miles but theres still 5 litres still in the tank when showing totally empty:doh:

·
Benelli Wannabe !
6,865 Posts
Mines different to my old Tornado Al, with my current bike I can go a good few miles without any bars at all showing and still only put around 15 or so ltrs in to full, whereas my old bike I've been on one bar showing and still put 16 ltrs in ! Work that one out ?

If I'm right the Tornado holds 18.5ltrs ? So another question would be how much of the 18.5ltrs would you be able to actually use before Conking out ?(don't you just Love that word Conking ! :D )

:rolling:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
It's all down to the shape of the fuel tank lads. :rolleyes:

The fuel sensor works on the principle of a float that slides up a vertical scale. The trouble is the pick-up sensors are positioned at regular intervals up the scale and do not take into account that the fuel tank is much wider at the top and gradually tapers to a much smaller size at the bottom. So, the float takes a lot of time to drop any distance at all to start with then as the fuel reduces in the tank to the smaller area, it of course drops a lot faster.

I guess if someone was on the ball they could have spaced the pick-up sensors closer together at the top of the vertical scale and gradually widened the distance between them the further down they go to compensate for the narrowing of the area inside the fuel tank. :doh:

·
Mid Life Crisis
107 Posts
Does it really matter as long as it tells you when it's nearly empty ??:rolling: :rolling:

·
Registered
833 Posts
i just wait for it to go down to 3 bars and start looking around for juice, its only a guesstamit ? ( well thats the way i say it). ron d

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
Mine Definately Drops quicker than Yous's :rolling: . I do use the throttle a little bit more than i should !!;) and it is helping the global warming campaign and making it happen now when we need it :) .

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Accurate mine is not, but consistant it is.
About 50 miles till the bars drop, then it drops about a bar for 10 miles till the light comes on with 2 bars remaining.
Same as mine.... :clap:

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Angus, I always wondered why that Texaco wagon followed you around with Sat Nav tracking ! :D
There is a saying "let history be the judge" ...wonder when we find out that Angooose has a leaking fuel tank? :doh:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts