Benelli Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just got the bike back from the dealers after having the alarm fitted and all the lefthand side replaced following my recent spill.:(

I got 8 miles down the road and it went "POP" and started sounding like a ducati!!! Running on 2 cylinders.:doh:

I limped it home and called my dealer.

They were excellent and came round and picked my poor little machine up.
The following day I got a call saying that the middle coil had failed. They had swapped it with no1 and proved the problem.

I've read on here a few comments about coils failing, but am surprised this is such a common fault.

Does anyone know what causes a problem like this? is it because of moisture collecting in this one, or an actual parts problem?

Bit annoyed really as it means another week or two waiting for the part to arrive from benelliuk, plus another stripdown to fit it.

Anyone have an idea of the cost of the benelli part? i've read they are about £100

Ah...I hear you say. The price we pay for owning an Italian superbike!!

·
Registered
64 Posts
no2 coil

how fast,no 2 coil failure is not uncommon,it happened to my bike a short while ago.It is easily remedied by buying a peugeot replacement for the price of £28.54 if memory serves me.Elsewhere on the forum under "coils" i think ,you will find instructions on how to carry out simple mods to make the replacement fit,i'm sure somebody with the know how on here will include the instructions in a post for you,Russ

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
Re Coils

I had this problem and others have said its surely down to water from airbox drain hole over this coil. Genuine benelli coil is £150.00 ish. I did use a peugeot coil which indeed cost £28.54 and was an upgraded part.it required the top shroud cutting away until the coil could sit further down the plug hole. their was no need to modify anything else -their is also a mounting lug that gets removed with this process. the top is slightly an odd shape but the mounting clamp fits ok. best to measure your old coil against new one .i also cut a small ring of rubber off the bottom part of coil but this was my personal choice just to ensure the rubber wasnt too compressed.nice to be on threeeeeee . the airbox must get rain in and although not a pressurised system must force the water out of the drain hole enough to leak it all over the no2 coil. anyone got any thoughts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts