Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
ENGLAND FOREVER
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi chaps, i have just sold my Kawasaki ZX12R to buy a Benelli, i have the choice of a green & silver TRE or a Red RS, is there much between them & is the RS worth the extra dosh??????????:jig:

·
Registered
146 Posts
I believe these are the differences :

Slipper Clutch,
Radial Mount Calipers,
Uprated Suspension,
Uprated Cams and a bit more power,
Carbon Hugger & Mudguard,
Forged Wheels,
Paint scheme differences

Personally I have an RS and think I'd prefer the RS over the TRE -- but I'm not sure what the price difference might be (I bought mine from a salvage auction)..

also ..

Oil Cooler,
Adjustable Steering Dampener

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
The TRE,s got a slipper clutch as well if you give Rusty russ a call he'll give you the run down on the difference :clap:

·
Registered
74 Posts
rs? tre?

i agree with tonydoc the tre also has a slipper clutch, any way the tre is best because it comes in the fastest colour green and silver:rolleyes:
Only kidding the choise is yours i am sure you will love either:D

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
I didnt think the tre has a slipper clutch as was sometimes wrote in spec sheets by tests by magazines but i stand corrected if it does. I would love my tre to be rs spec but with the colours of my tre(silver/green). i love the rs in every way and would buy one but other things more important at mo. surely the price difference of a tre to rs couldnt allow you to buy the wheels/radial calipers/carbon etc with the difference. the rs were also built in the aftermath of the tre problems so you are assured that they had mods done that were required (i'm right on that one guys ?). buy an rs and its got all you could want , anyone report on how good the 1130 is ?.

·
ENGLAND FOREVER
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Keep The Advice Coming Lads, I Must Admit That I Have Fallen In Love With The Rs- Benelli`s On The Road Are As Rare As Rocking Horse S*** ( Ive Only Seen 1 & That Was At Last Years T.t.) Think You Have All Convinced Me That I Am Making The Right Move.

·
903 Posts
All Tres and RS's have slipper clutches and terrytriple is correct in listing the differences, the RS also has a black frame.

If you wish to buy new you will only get a RED RS as that is all that is left, buying secondhand you might get a yellow one but there was only approximately 30 - 35 bought into the county so are very rare.

Whilst the RS is the better bike the green and silver TRE is the best bike because these are Benelli's origional racing colours and look cracking. (In my opinion.) On the road it is unlikely that you will notice any major power or braking difference unless you are the next Barry Sheen.

Most mods should have been done to the old TRE's if they have been serviced correctly, if not the importers KJM, have been exceptional in looking after Benelli customers and will still warrent any part that was covered that has not been done. You will have to pay for the labour cost if the bike is out of warranty, that said they do not have any obligation to supply the part FOC when out of warranty but are doing so as good will.

Go buy whatever one takes your fancy or suits you finances, make sure she fettled and enjoy!

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
I was in bennetts the other day and thought i saw a brand new yellow one in there. maybe if you give russ a call he'll fill you in at stock available in their stock.see bennettsmotorcycles.com of barnsley.

now i know its got a slipper clutch i'm going to start gunning it down into corners !!!!:)

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Don't do it Lee........................these things are trouble with a capital 'T' :rolleyes: ;) :rolleyes:

(c'mon lads you'll have to stick by me on this, if we keep telling folk how great these bikes are they'll be as common as muck before you know it :rolling: )

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
Yep Laurence is right buy a tornado and be at your peril !!!! women will swoon and fall over with the pheronomes oozing from you and the bike,other bikers will admit to looking away so they dont have to be envious and drooling in your direction and you yourself will be like a kid at crimbo after you've only gone to the shops for the umpteenth time for that thing that you didnt need !!. the wife will make mad passionate love to you for owning one !!!!! ( wondered why my missus keeps nipping out to all your houses :rolling: ). buy one and in the retirement home just think how you can drive all the other residents mad tellin them of your escapades - i'm going to ("more milky tea dear" says the busty carer !!):p .

·
1,231 Posts
RS vs. Tre

Honestly, the differences betwee the bikes you, I, and most of the other average Joes on here would never even feel. The biggest difference is the color. Get the color that you prefer (tend to believe that the green/silver is the nicest but it's personal taste) and the rest will take care of itself. The rest is just bar-room braging rights!!! Now traction control on a Nelli....hmmmm....

·
1,841 Posts
Lee, TRE or RS are both nice, I bought the RS after hearing about the now well known possible problems and also for the upgraded bits.It is no problem now as KJM carry out the mods and good dealers like RED DOG, Bennetts etc are Knowledgable about them.
A second hand tre should be sorted ,but verify before you buy.
The RS is a bumpier ride on the road as the suspension is stiffer than the tre.
Being honest if i were racing I would prefer the RS, but on the road the TRE is more suitable and comfortable.The RS has a little more power,but it is not noticable really.Also I do not notice any better performance from the RS radial brakes. The RS clutch is also stiffer and therefore hard work in traffic.
The RS handle bars are 1/2 inch further back than the TRE.
Good luck
colin.:) :ele:

·
224 Posts
Why not try to find a Benelli Tornado TRE LE (Limited Edition)???

It is one of 150 made. All carbon fiber body work, forged Marshesini 10 spoke wheels, lots of magnesium components, full Ti exhaust system.....lots of trick bits compared to the standard production Benellis......

You can find both new and used ones for sale if you look....a low miles used one in mint condition would save you a lot of money compared to its original MSRP of 36,000 Euros.....

:bow: :ele: :clap: :)

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I have on 06 tre at the moment but if an LE came up at the right price again I would be sorely tempted after seeing one in the flesh at the bike show. Such a lot of bike for the money they have been going for.

I have also toyed with the idea of buying an RS and fitting the green / silver bodykit. Then you have the best of both worlds! The reason I would consider it is that anecdotal evidence seems to suggest the RS doesnt suffer from the common stalling problem which has plagued mine. Any RS owners out they might want to correct me at this point if it affects you!

All that said, I forgive my Nelli all her faults as she still floats my boat more than any other bike I have owned almost a year on :bow:

Col

·
Registered
77 Posts
Lee, I'd go along with pretty much what everyone else says. I'm pretty new to the tre, bought an 03 reg bike 5 months ago, done 1500 miles on her and she hasnt missed a beat, cant wait for spring to arrive :)

·
ENGLAND FOREVER
1,565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Roll on saturday morning

:ele: like your style laurence, i promise to keep Benelli`s a secret once i get my Red RS in the morning....sleepless night tonight boys & girls, feel like a 10 year old on christmas eve!!!:excited:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts