Benelli Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night my brother heard my TNT running for the first time when i rode past him and into his driveway.After a chat and as i started up the bike to ride off he came across and said thats a noisy engine is it gear driven cams?.So i said if you think this one is noisy you want to here my Tornado!.I told him that they are all noisy and my TNT is one of the quieter ones.After i told him that they had conventional cam chains etc.he than said "I couldnt live with that".He is a engine remanufacturer and engineer and rides a Harley and a BMW.
As i rode home i thought i must ask you lot,does anyone know why our bikes sound so pants to a trained ear.They way they operate and have been put together is fairly conventional so why are they so mechanicaly noisy.My Tre is ever so noisy to the extent that the mileage is low because Lou and i agree that after a couple of hours tearing round our heads are ringing.Thats also why i am still running Std.exhausts,i dont want any more noise.Short blasts and flat out riding is brilliant!.;)
Lou was laughing last night about the threads on luggage for the Benellis.She said who would want to tour on a Benelli?.She has a point i suppose.Do you lot just use a bloody good set of ear plugs?.We are always 2 up and using autocom so the Triumph wins on long journeys so that we can here ourselves talk.
Your thoughts please.:confused:

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Yep, good earplugs and a quiet helmet!

You have a good point, though; why ARE they so noisy? The ones fitted with dry clutches, fair enough, but the rest is fairly conventional. The difference when I get on my Yam 1000 is incredible - it is just silent by comparison, even with it's full Akrapovic exhaust system.

Beats me...:rolling:

Cheers:D
Ian

·
Benelli Wannabe !
6,865 Posts
Surely that's the Beauty of a Triple ! I don't wear ear plugs, did try them once or twice but felt I wasn't in tune with the bike which I love the sound of, (and had a shitty helmet ! (no puns please :rolleyes: )) especially once you get to around 7,000rpm and above ! They are quite a noisy engine though I quite agree, but it's a fairly unique sound and gets people thinking "WTF was that ?" when you sail on past them ! ;)

:D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Agree about the ear-plugs....the only way i can ride the tornado without worrying about the motor eating itself!

Apparently the motor has none of the sound-deadening built into most bike engines, acoording to those in the know, this and the slipper clutch design results in much of the noise.

The additional noise certainly take some getting used to, but a louder can and keeping the revs over 7k (so the exhaust drowns out the engine) helps!

My one concern is that if i ever had to sell it (dont intend to do so) that i may struggle to find someone who believed that they reallu all do sound like that...

·
5,934 Posts
..does anyone know why our bikes sound so pants to a trained ear.They way they operate and have been put together is fairly conventional so why are they so mechanicaly noisy.My Tre is ever so noisy to the extent that the mileage is low because Lou and i agree that after a couple of hours tearing round our heads are ringing.Thats also why i am still running Std.exhausts,i dont want any more noise.Short blasts and flat out riding is brilliant!.;)
Benelli have made absolutely NO effort to dampen the engine noise. Triumph, for example, have rubber blocks sitting on top of the gearbox, and inside the clutch cover.
The castings are thin, and act as drums, all in an effort to reduce weight, I guess.
There's no damping inside the fairing panels either.
The cam chain is a rolling link chain - as light as possible, to reduce inertia, and allow high revs - for a 900.
SC type cam chains, as used in Triumphs, are quieter, and stronger, but much heavier.
The clutch, if pre-2007, will rattle because the cush springs aren't held in position well. Post 2007 clutches are much quieter, but spare a thought for Duke owners! We haven't got noisy clutches all to ourselves!
100kW from a 900, in 2003 was doing pretty well. It's still no slouch. Hardly BMW or Harley territory!
Lou was laughing last night about the threads on luggage for the Benellis.She said who would want to tour on a Benelli?.She has a point i suppose.Do you lot just use a bloody good set of ear plugs?.We are always 2 up and using autocom so the Triumph wins on long journeys so that we can here ourselves talk.
Your thoughts please.:confused:
SNR 34 earplugs, is all I use. No problems riding 1000 kms in a day - although my butt suffers in the heat. 650 is easy.
Just did 2600 km in the last week, to PI & back, with full kit - enough to cary out track marshalling for 3 days as well. You've seen the pix on my website?
Wouldn't ride 2 up though. That would be cruel for both rider AND pillion.

·
Benellissimo
682 Posts
Just buy a TRE K! :D You know what Triumph means?
Terrible Reliability Incredibly Uncomfortable Monstrous Poor Handling

I know the newer ones are supposed to be better but my Daytona was a total crock of merde;)

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
1000 miles none stop 5000revs average odd 7000 ,not deaf no ear plugs but great fit helmet ,and dosent rattle like a bag of nails . yep trek the way to go .i will second that

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Benelli have made absolutely NO effort to dampen the engine noise. Triumph, for example, have rubber blocks sitting on top of the gearbox, and inside the clutch cover.
The castings are thin, and act as drums, all in an effort to reduce weight, I guess.
There's no damping inside the fairing panels either.
The cam chain is a rolling link chain - as light as possible, to reduce inertia, and allow high revs - for a 900.
SC type cam chains, as used in Triumphs, are quieter, and stronger, but much heavier.
The clutch, if pre-2007, will rattle because the cush springs aren't held in position well. Post 2007 clutches are much quieter, but spare a thought for Duke owners! We haven't got noisy clutches all to ourselves!
100kW from a 900, in 2003 was doing pretty well. It's still no slouch. Hardly BMW or Harley territory!

SNR 34 earplugs, is all I use. No problems riding 1000 kms in a day - although my butt suffers in the heat. 650 is easy.
Just did 2600 km in the last week, to PI & back, with full kit - enough to cary out track marshalling for 3 days as well. You've seen the pix on my website?
Wouldn't ride 2 up though. That would be cruel for both rider AND pillion.
Errol, you never cease to amaze me with your knowledge of these bikes :bow:
Benelli should hire you.

G

·
2 Up

EVENIN ALL
The current Mrs Pony LOVES bein on the back of the Tornado and says its very comfy. She likes the noise to. She has even said she finds it nicer than my ZZR1100. But then any 1 that knows her knows shes NOT QUITE RIGHT anyway so maybe this doesn't count.

·
Benelli Wannabe !
6,865 Posts
EVENIN ALL
The current Mrs Pony LOVES bein on the back of the Tornado and says its very comfy. She likes the noise to. She has even said she finds it nicer than my ZZR1100. But then any 1 that knows her knows shes NOT QUITE RIGHT anyway so maybe this doesn't count.
"Evenin All !" Didn't Dixon of Dock green used to say that Simon ! (oooops, showing my age now mate ! ;) )

p.s. There's now't wrong with the current Mrs Pony mate, it's the plod in front of her you gotta watch ! :D Now lets think, how can I start you off........... erm................. here goes,

Anyone seen how much the Tornado's have depreciated lately, especially the Yellow ones.............. :rolleyes:

:rolling:

p.s. Nice to see you visit the forum occasionally matey !

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

G

·
low blow

Well wot can i say

:bawl: :( G I T :bawl: :(
i thought you were my mate aswell. . no. . just a G I T :D
Hows your Tornado Rob ?? :confused:

I wouldn't know much about YELLOW RS's cuz mines still in DK while they try to find this strange engine noise . . . and its due its 6000 mile service (BIG £££) so i'm in no rush to get it back. All the usual suspects in the motor have been checked, checked and checked again and . . . . no joy so far. . . so at least its not very serious. . or is it.:confused:

Did i mention YOUR A GIT nob sorry i mean Rob :D :D

Mind you you are rite about the bloke infront of her he is abit cluck cluck jibber jibber

G

·
It'll be :D VERY CHEAP :D friend

Its still under warrenty.. :D :D :D :D

God bless that £300 2 year warrenty extension DK sold me :bow: :bow: :bow:

·
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Errol well done you always make me feel more confident in the marque when you put in your technical way.With the raised bars it is okay 2 up.Lou finds it pretty comfortable for a couple of hours or so.I ride the thing just as hard 2 up as i do on my own so a couple of hours is enough before a good break.Neither Lou or I enjoy riding it steadily any where near as much as the Triumph so the Tre is mainly dragged out when we are meeting up and riding with a group.
I must be getting older because although i would probably never get rid of either the Tre or TNT i do like the look of the new VFR 1200 for a replacement for the Sprint ST.But will it be too heavy?. Looking forward to riding one.It could be an ideal tool for long distance 2 up touring.But as i have said before it will have to be bloody good to beat the Sprint ST.I have toured and done track days on the Triumph.It does everything really well.:)

G

·
Old age is setting in here too

Matey
Your not the only 1 who feels the need for comfort over looks...
I love my Tornado and all i has to offer but. . . (and its usually a sore but after a few hours out on a Sunday) I'm more than happy riding my ZZR for those 4hr +/long rides out especially 2 up..
Strangly the current Mrs Pony thinks the other way....Which probably explains why we are still married after 13 years :confused:

·
5,934 Posts
..Strangly the current Mrs Pony thinks the other way....Which probably explains why we are still married after 13 years :confused:
:D
Always brings a smile to my face when you talk of the "current" Mrs Pony. Sounds like she's one of a long & continuous stream!
@ 13 yrs, obviously not.:clap:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts