Benelli Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've come to a decision, I'm selling my beloved Fazer 1000 and coming over to the dark side, to the unknown place of italian bikes.
I have a couple of questions, firstly, reliability, I don't expect to be able to run it like my yam (ride it,forget it) but is there anything I should pay attention to on a regular basis. Secondly, I do suffer from dodgy wrists and although I don't do many regular long rides, is the riding position a problem, and if so, is other clip-ons available to 'lift me up' so to speak.
Also can't find any for sale in my area ( Lincolnshire ), but just to make sure 'it fits me' ok, (because I'm not the tallest person in the world) is there any one local who would let me sit on their bike just to make sure.
Anyway that will do for now but I'm sure I will have more questions once I get one sorted. Cheers all. :confused:

Fazman

·
Registered
123 Posts
I've come to a decision, I'm selling my beloved Fazer 1000 and coming over to the dark side, to the unknown place of italian bikes.
That would be the other way around, actually. Welcome back from the Dark Side. ;)

I have a couple of questions, firstly, reliability, I don't expect to be able to run it like my yam (ride it,forget it)
Why not? Don't buy into the Honda-nutter propaganda. The non-Jap bikes are generally just nice and reliable bikes. Usually more interesting than the generic Jap bikes, IMO. There's not much point in claiming the non-Jap bikes, let alone the Italian ones, would be some second-rate bikes, when compared to the four mighty Asian ones. As for the Benelli bikes, they may have had some issues in the near past, but things are getting better, and even though people write about all sorts of problems here doesn't mean quite a few of the Benelli riders wouldn't be enjoying themselves with a relatively trouble-free rides day in, day out.

So, in other words, if you fancy the bikes, just get yourself one! You won't be disappointed, or bored. :D
Regards, an owner of three different Italian brand bikes

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Welcome (to the dark side Fazman)
Let me try and answe your questions
Reliabilty - like everything, there are some good benellis and some not so good ones out there
I am not gonna waffle on about most of the probs, cos you can search thru here and find them - but the most common are :a) core plugs corroding; b) clocks resetting themselve due to insufficient current on startup; c) clutch basket mods d) flaky paint on fairing (lowers only - and mostly on green/silver nellis)
All these items should have been sorted under warranty anyway
2) Riding position - its probably more roomy than most jap sportsbikes (I know its more roomy than the new cbr600rr) but I am sure it will perch you forward more than your fazer-so expect a little more ache there - I am just 6ft and can get my feet on the ground-I would only imagine it a prob if you were less than 5ft 6 ish (but thats a guess)

As its meant to be nice this weekend, why not have a ride to
TAZ-Peterborough
BENNETTS- Barnsley
KJM - Wigan

These are all main dealers who should have some in

good luck

Kurt

·
903 Posts
Welcome to the forum Fazman,

Reliability of the Nellie is much better for 2007 than previous models as KJM (the importers) spend many hours carefully prepping the bikes before sending them to dealers. The warrenty is much better too and getting parts is also quicker.

KJM or Bennets will be glad to put you mind at rest, once you had Italian you will not want to go back to Jap as Italian bike have something Jap bikes don't have, Character!

Good luck with you purchase, you won't regret it!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Help

I think it depends on the bike. I have put about 3000 miles over the past three months on mine, culminating in a 400 mile ride on the highway averaging over 80 mph with no issues.

I had a small oil leak in the front Marzocchi fork from the compression adjuster and a leak from the steering damper (stopped when it became empty...) since I've owned the thing. I am coming from 250 two stroke and Ducati ownership, so I expect a few problems here and there.

If you can tolerate the occassional issue, then these bikes are worth the hassle

Dean

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hello Fazman,
I have had my Nelli for about 6 months now, I've had the odd problem with the clocks and her cutting out. But they're small problems really and easily sorted. I moved to my nelli from a zx10r and i know i'll never purchase another jap bike again! Ref height, i'm only 5ft 6in and just about manage to touch the floor. She's a little higher then my millie. You'll not beat the grin factor and the attention she attracts. Nice having people comment on how nice your bike is. But please please please, when you get one don't tell your mates how amazin it is! I like having an exclusive bike :rolling: :) :rolling:

Kev

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Welcome Fazman...

Think the others have pretty much covered the common problems. I've had mine for 3 months and the only ones I have had are clocks resetting (will be getting replaced under warranty) and what seems to be a slight fuelling issue causing it to stall round town occasionally. You will see from other posts that this doesnt affect all bikes and hopefully I can get mine sorted by Russ when I take it in for the clocks. Other than that it starts first time every time and looks the biz! Just be prepared for crowds at bike meets! Went to one last night and saw 3 MVs, but mine was the only Benelli and got far more attention.

My advice would be take up Russ's offer - I bought mine from Bennets and the service is excellent. Russ really looks after his customers and is very keen to make sure you get a good one. Far as I know hes the only one with a demo tornado (altho KJM may do) so you dont have to make do with sitting on one :)

Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Guys
You've made me feel like a kid waking up on christmas morning.
To be quite honest I'm quite looking forward to the odd small problem I think its what gives these exclusive type of bikes their charm.
I love my Fazer, but its a bit like my mum, it never lets me down and is always there when I need her, I need a new love in my life, more exiting, and I think I've found her (But don't tell the wife). :clap:
Anyone want to buy a Fazer.

Fazman

1 - 9 of 9 Posts