Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, quite surprised at the price of these bikes now. I have always admired the looks of the bike but way to high of a price, until i looked at KJM website and others.
I have a mint 02 Fireblade which i love but the lure of having a rarity on the road is appealing.

What do you folks think, stay jap or go for it.

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
Dilema, dilema, dilema:confused:

Stay jap and keep the reliability, parts availability and peice of mind that everything is hunkydorie ......
Or .....
Go Eyetalian and have a Benelli that is not the most reliable bike in the world and the customer service can be a bit eggy puff puff at times, but it is a stunner and sounds awesome.

If it was me Stevie I would be very tempted to stay jap (very very tempted) however once you sit on one of these buggers and that grin comes to your face then you know that you're on something a bit special.

If you're a bit of a poser then go for the Tre :rolling:

The decision is yours

Al

(PS) Welcome to the forums me ol' mucker:D

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Al, have you got a TRE and what issues have you had with it, i live in Glasgow, what would be the nearest service centre.
Is the Tornado easy to work on, do your own service etc.

·
5,963 Posts
Jap? Are you nuts?

Stevie, talk to anyone who has had one give them trouble, and they'll have you in 2 minds - Al for instance.

Mine hasn't stuck me up for more than a day or so in 2 years, which is about what you would expect from Nippon.

If you know your way around a spanner, go for it. You won't regret it. Just allow plenty of time for spares to arrive.

If you depend on someone else to work on it, you've a better than even chance that you'll get one like mine - all of the recalls have been done, & runs sweet as a nut.

After 2 years, I still break out in a grin when I see it parked in my garage. The grin just gets bigger when we're on the road!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stevie, talk to anyone who has had one give them trouble, and they'll have you in 2 minds - Al for instance.

Mine hasn't stuck me up for more than a day or so in 2 years, which is about what you would expect from Nippon.

If you know your way around a spanner, go for it. You won't regret it. Just allow plenty of time for spares to arrive.

If you depend on someone else to work on it, you've a better than even chance that you'll get one like mine - all of the recalls have been done, & runs sweet as a nut.

After 2 years, I still break out in a grin when I see it parked in my garage. The grin just gets bigger when we're on the road!

Thanks for your reply.....the bikes i am looking at are 04 models brand new, were all recall issues on this year sorted by then...also is it true the Chinese have pumped a load of money into the company.

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
Stevie,

I had plenty of trouble with my TRE from new. Thankfully I was in the best place in the world to get it sorted at the time (Germany - apparently there is a special love thing going on with Germans and Benelli!)

Anyway, after a horrible 4 months of initial ownership it has now been faultless.

Well except for my paint flaking off!

Go for it, I love mine, even though she gets shouted at, at times!

Andy

·
1,231 Posts
Welcome

Stevie,
Welcome to the forum mate. As you can see from these posts and by reading the rest of the forum owning a Benelli can at times be an experience. I made my decision to purchase a Biposto and a Limited Edition based purely on passion. I have been to bike meets with the 25 GSXR1000s and the 13 Fireblades and 16 R1s. The cookie cuter mold works for some but I wanted a bike that made me grin from ear to ear. Something different than everyone else had. Something that I might see another of every third month that has six sundays in it. In short, I wanted some exclusivity. Riding for me is about passion. I have my jap bike that I just rack the miles on. Its dependable and fun buts lacks any character other than what every other jap bike out there has. I ride my Benelli biposto on nice days when I want a change. The sound that comes from that exhaust is like no other and the feeling I get riding her is something that no japanese bike has ever given me and I have owned the lot of them believe me. Then, occasionally I get on my LE for a rare and limited thrill that only that special combination of the finest componentry coupled with a stellar chassis and all the carbon bits you can sneeze at can give you. Then I have to clean my shorts. Riding that bike is an experienced for the senses of sight, sound, and feel. I have never run into another LE on the road but I have seen a few thousand of the other japanese bikes out there.

I guess what I am trying to say is that to me, my bikes are like women. If you want a supermodel you are going to have to put up with a few niggly bits here and there and it takes time to get all that make-up on. They aren't perfect all the time. If you want a woman that stays home day in and day out, that keeps the floor clean, cooks your meals, and does the laundry, get a Bessie. My suggestion is to keep the japanese bike you have. Its tried and true and will keep you riding on the days when it so beautiful it would be a crime to not ride. Get the Nelli as well. Give her a go and you will find that the japanese bike will just not do the things for you it used to. You will find yourself staring at the Nelli for no reason at all. Ol' Bessie will be there for you when your model gives in and it takes a little time for her exotic make-up to arrive.

John

·
Super Moderator
7,779 Posts
Hi Stevie boy and welcome to the Benelli club mate (well almost)

I bought my first new TRE from KJM in October 2004 and traded this in for another exactly the same in July 2006....says it all really.

I guess they are no different from any other sports bike to work on but there are no 'official' dealers north of the border as yet. The closest you will get to this is 'Sandy Bloy' in Perth who I believe are keen to work on them and I think they have some arrangement with KJM for carrying out warranty work.

If you are buying a new 2004 model from KJM most of the recall work will have been done already and anything else will get picked up when it's getting serviced. (Assuming you take it back to them.....it's a nice excuse for a wee run down the road!!!!:clap:)

Benelli were acquired by the QJ Group at the end of 2005, who are the largest motorcycle manufacturer in China, and by all accounts have poured a load of money into the company so the future of Benelli is looking pretty good.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Cheers John, sounds like i may be persuaded to go for it after reading your post. I have not even ridden one but gonna go for it. I do love my blade, i have probably got one of the nicest of that model around, like new an 02.
But as you say there are a bunch of them and certainly the satisfaction of having a bike that would turn heads with looks and noise is right up my street.
Talked to KJM dealer today and i will go with them for the bike, trade in price for my blade was a bit short of my estimate, so its going in the ads.

·
Administrator
972 Posts
johnny said it all..the bit about the 'supermodel' that is. After my first non-japanese bike, I have not looked back. :)

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
Yeah Stevie, I have the Tre and I've had a shed load of problems with it (I mean a shed load!). Clocks resetting themselves, clutch basket going badoosh, oil pump going spadoing, Ignition coils packing in on me, paint peeling off of 2 sets of fairings, sump plugs going all rusty on me, firing on 2 cylinders, squeeky rear suspension and weeks upon weeks (basically the whole of last summer) were my bike was sitting in a workshop waiting on some little Italian ass hole getting of his arse to send me my parts:mad:
Would I buy another one knowing what I know now? NO. Would I regret not buying another one knowing what I know now? YES

There is a garage in perth http://www.sandybloymotorcycles.com/bikes1.htm which can do your servicing for you although I've never used them but they seem really nice. I can't wire a plug Steve so I'll not even bother to attempt to do any of my own servicing:bawl: You could always get KJM in Wigan to do the servicing for you (the ride back up can be quite nice if the weather's nice).

There is no doubt that owning one of these bikes mate will make you grin from ear to ear (even with it's faults this is something that is an absolute certainty) and when you listen to the noise that it makes when you open it up:excited::excited::excited:.

I have a GSXR6 sitting in the garage and I know that it'll do nothing for me if I was to take it out again (well maybe allow me to do a U turn in the road which you can't do on the Tre) but the Tre IS a head turner. No question.

Have you managed to have a shot on one yet mate?

Al;)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Stevie boy and welcome to the Benelli club mate (well almost)

I bought my first new TRE from KJM in October 2004 and traded this in for another exactly the same in July 2006....says it all really.

I guess they are no different from any other sports bike to work on but there are no 'official' dealers north of the border as yet. The closest you will get to this is 'Sandy Bloy' in Perth who I believe are keen to work on them and I think they have some arrangement with KJM for carrying out warranty work.

If you are buying a new 2004 model from KJM most of the recall work will have been done already and anything else will get picked up when it's getting serviced. (Assuming you take it back to them.....it's a nice excuse for a wee run down the road!!!!:clap:)

Benelli were acquired by the QJ Group at the end of 2005, who are the largest motorcycle manufacturer in China, and by all accounts have poured a load of money into the company so the future of Benelli is looking pretty good.
Hi Laurence, KJM seem very helpfull and i see a lot of good reports about them. I am going to go for the Green/Silver seems to be the colour to have.
They did tell me the would give it a full going over before i buy and have reassured me that if there were any major warranty work needing done they would collect it and drop it off which i found was really good.
Need to get the blade sold quick.

Cheers

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah Stevie, I have the Tre and I've had a shed load of problems with it (I mean a shed load!). Clocks resetting themselves, clutch basket going badoosh, oil pump going spadoing, Ignition coils packing in on me, paint peeling off of 2 sets of fairings, sump plugs going all rusty on me, firing on 2 cylinders, squeeky rear suspension and weeks upon weeks (basically the whole of last summer) were my bike was sitting in a workshop waiting on some little Italian ass hole getting of his arse to send me my parts:mad:
Would I buy another one knowing what I know now? NO. Would I regret not buying another one knowing what I know now? YES

There is a garage in perth http://www.sandybloymotorcycles.com/bikes1.htm which can do your servicing for you although I've never used them but they seem really nice. I can't wire a plug Steve so I'll not even bother to attempt to do any of my own servicing:bawl: You could always get KJM in Wigan to do the servicing for you (the ride back up can be quite nice if the weather's nice).

There is no doubt that owning one of these bikes mate will make you grin from ear to ear (even with it's faults this is something that is an absolute certainty) and when you listen to the noise that it makes when you open it up:excited::excited::excited:.

I have a GSXR6 sitting in the garage and I know that it'll do nothing for me if I was to take it out again (well maybe allow me to do a U turn in the road which you can't do on the Tre) but the Tre IS a head turner. No question.

Have you managed to have a shot on one yet mate?

Al;)
Wow that is a lot of problems, i have not ridden one yet. I am in Africa at the moment and will not be home till end of Jan. so i have got a few weeks to think about it but i am all ready set on going for it, i have seen them in the flesh and they look awesome. So its either KJM visit when i am home or a deal over the phone with the blade and a shiny new tornado

·
Super Moderator
7,779 Posts
Stevie, don't let that whinging bugger Al put you off. It's true he's had a 'spot' of bother, but I think that a lot of it is self inflicted.

You see he's got these fancy carbon wheels fitted to his bike and I think that a lot of the problems are associated with them. I particularly put the 'rusty sump plug' directly down to these...must be something to do with the rain water ricocheting of their extra smooth finish :rolling:

Glad you have decided to go for the best colour scheme though:D

·
1,841 Posts
Hi Stevie

How about sorning your blade, you will only be cheesed off that you have given a bargain to someone else ! You are not going to lose much by sitting it in the garage for a while.
If you go for a Benelli have you considered the RS model ? you get marchenisi forged wheels,high/low damping,radial brakes,marzzochi coated forks,carbon mudguard and hugger and a few more horses to play with !!!!;)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
How about sorning your blade, you will only be cheesed off that you have given a bargain to someone else ! You are not going to lose much by sitting it in the garage for a while.
If you go for a Benelli have you considered the RS model ? you get marchenisi forged wheels,high/low damping,radial brakes,marzzochi coated forks,carbon mudguard and hugger and a few more horses to play with !!!!;)
Thinking of holding on to the blade for a while, bad time to sell.
I looked at the RS but the unfortunately no green/silver colour option.

·
5,963 Posts
Why not red?

Stevie, red is faster you know.

I would certainly have bought the RS if it fit in my budget 2 years ago.

I was aiming silver & green as well, but none were available, so I used it as a bargaining point. It was worth $1500 to me!

The green is harder to match, because (I understand) it is built up of a few differing layers. (Someone else may be able to correct me here.)

Besides, is your Blade painted in Honda colours? I expect not.

·
Registered
24 Posts
New Nelli rider!!!

Stevie,
Welcome to the forum, The whole crew speaks the gospel but I can tell you silver/black is definately the fastest!!!
I sold my Ninja when I bought my Tre and haven't regretted it for one second but hey that's me.
Go with your heart but whatever you do decide.... at least go for a ride on one, they speak for themselves (damn that exhaust is nice!:D) . Hope it goes great for you!

Cheers Dave

"He who dies with the most toys, still dies"

1 - 20 of 69 Posts