Benelli Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
6,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Years and years ago I hit a roo and broke a mirror. I repaired it and gave it to Paul at Redback Racepaint here in Canberra. He suggested that I use nylon screws instead of the brass ones the factory used. The brass ones have a necked section that should break off if put under enough load, but in my case the base broke before the screw so it seemed a good suggestion and I did it. I probably wasn't listening when he told me to replace them regularly, which I didn't.

Yesterday, after dodging thousands of potholes on a ride to Queensland and back (thanks La Niña) I managed to ride though a doozy 50 km from home. The rim is bent, but the tyre didn't deflate, and the rh mirror sailed into the air to break on the pavement. Maybe the mirror would still be ok if I had replaced the nylon screw every year or two.

·
Super Moderator
7,893 Posts
Reactions: Neil1400

·
Registered
201 Posts
. The rim is bent, but the tyre didn't deflate,
[/QUOTE]
I bent both rims hitting a pot hole, it jarred so hard I nearly lost the seat. With some carefully placed heat and a large rubber hammer, we got it back in line then got them painted in a gloss black instead of the flat paint. They are now easier to wash. Lucky my son works with aluminium a lot. Nigel.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
That is a new one for me , not heard it before.
Is your wheel recoverable or going to be deformed forever, and what about the mirror , it left the bike in reasonable condition, is it broken beyond repair. The idea of plastic screws seems plausible but , if they break , goodbye mirror. they dont bounce well.

·
6,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is your wheel recoverable or going to be deformed forever, and what about the mirror , it left the bike in reasonable condition, is it broken beyond repair. The idea of plastic screws seems plausible but , if they break , goodbye mirror. they don't bounce well.
Both can be repaired.
Roads NSW has a public liability policy that I'll make a claim against. Others have been successful in the past, but we'll see.
I had thought a tether wouldn't be a bad idea, but then again, the screw has been there for more than 10 years without issue, and if I had replaced it periodically, the mirror would probably still be attached to the bike. The wheel looks a bit sad but Dave at Alderton M/C in Sydney is confident he can straighten it.

·
6,188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Road surface Asphalt Tar Automotive tire Grass
Plant Sky Cloud Road surface Tree

I don't remember the full details of the incident, but the mate I was riding with pointed out that I'd just passed a car and was just behind a small school bus. So I didn't see the hole until the last second. That explains it. I was totally surprised by it.
Teaches me to be a little more circumspect these days.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts