Benelli Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you nice people in here may have been aware that my bike has been off the road for the last 5 weeks and has been sitting at KJM awaiting parts and repairs. Anyway, today I got a call from Dave at KJM to let me know that my bike is ready for collection:D He gave me a run down on what work has been carried out, full 1st service, clocks & panels replaced and the gear selection problem that I'd been having has now been fixed:D I'm going to fly down on Saturday night to get ready to pick the bike up on Sunday and give it a blast back up to Scotland, I can't wait to get back on it I can tell you. Dave had mentioned that the factory had forgotten to put some part onto the bike when it was assembled and that is what was causing the problem that I had been having (I'll find out more when I get to speak to Glen, the mechanic who has been working on the bike).

Anyway, I'll soon be able to strap on the ol' helmet cam and hopefully take the bike for a wee spin and post some videos on here very soon.

Isn't life great:lol

Al

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'll be expecting a call soon then!!!;)

Oh, When you are down at KJM could you have a look at the LE that they have in the showroom to see if it has a different shaped tank than the standard TRE.

One of the guy's needs to know if the Carbon Tank Protectors that I'm getting made will fit his LE.

Many thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
CF tank protector

Not a problem Laurence;) I'll check out the bikes when I'm down there and let you know if there's any difference. I'm kinda expecting my Acumen and maybe my pro oiler to arrive tomorrow so we'll have to get together when I get my bike back and I can let you work your magic on it:smokin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: CF tank protector

Hey Al...

"...the factory left a few parts out..." ??? I'm intrigued :D >: |I :rollin

please keep us posted!

Toby

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
why?

Am I the only person who doesn't like tank protectors? Personally.. I'd like to protect my tank from Tank protectors!!!

What is the point of them? Arn't you better off putting some cash aside for a tank respray every couple of years than paying bucks for soemthing that makes your tank look barf 24/7??

Or am I missing something here...?

Daniel.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"...the factory left a few parts out..." ??? I'm intrigued :D >: |I :rollin
You're not the only one that's intrigued Toby:eek I was quite shocked when Dave at KJM told me what the problem was, but seeing as I can't wire a plug together, the techie stuff just went right over my head:rolleyes (I'll be writing down what he tells me on Sunday so that I don't forget);)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: I'm back on the road again

After flying down to Manchester on the Saturday night and staying in a hotel to get a good night’s kip, I was all set to go and collect my bike from KJM. One train journey later and I was picked up from the station by Brian (KJM all round nice bloke:D ) and was taken to the shop to see my pride and joy. After a quick coffee and a chat with the lads it was time to get changed and hop on the tre and get this baby back up to Scotland.
I was shocked to hear that Glen had discovered the internal wirings of the clocks had been tampered with when he was working on the bike. It had come to Glen's attention that the engine management light was not coming on when he turned the engine over, so he thought that maybe a bulb or an LED had went on the blink and decided to open the clocks up to have a look inside. He found that some wires were covered in insulating tape and that part of the tape was covering up the icon for the engine management light so that even if the light was to come on then I wouldn't see it:eek . So he moved the tape away from the area that was being blocked and turned the engine over to see what would happen. The EM light was coming on and staying on but would flicker quite a bit and that this was probably due to a connection shorting out. Anyway, he changed the clocks over, changed the panels that had paint being chipped away from them, fitted my new chain, done a full first service and overall has made the bike far more pleasurable to ride:D The part that the factory had left out of the bike when they were putting it together doesn't have a specific name (or at least none that Glen could think of). It was to do with the selector mechanism and a bullet shaped cover of some sort that should be covering the springs inside this mechanism was missing. This was making downshifting a nightmare and I have to say that now that this has been fitted and fixed, this is now no longer a problem anymore8) . A larger air filter was also fitted and the bike was only firing on 2 cylinders most of the time so that problem has also been fixed.
What a difference this has made to the bike performance now that everything’s been fixed. Coming down the gears and finding the dreaded neutral is now a dream. The bike pulls better and even sounds better than ever before. Once I had the chance to open her up a bit once I got onto the motorway I could do nothing but grin as the speedo was showing 145 mph and was still trying to pull me along
After I got onto the motorway I then had the chance to open her up a bit:b
If it wasn't for the fact that I had the most un-aerodynamic rucksack on my back I might have let her push me that wee bit further but the wind was buffeting me about everywhere.
So now that I have my bike back working as it should it really has made a huge difference to what I think about the Tornado. The grin factor for me has just increased ten fold
:eek :p :smokin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: I'm back on the road again

Excelent news AL, KJM seem to be really trying to set up a good after sales service.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
KJM's after sales service

I tell you what Hector, I am really impressed with everyone at KJM:D They just seem to give great after sales service as standard and considering that I didn't even buy the bike from them makes me even more impressed. Still, they can have my business any day and if their website had a 'what our customers say' page then I would be screaming from the rooftops about these guys.:smokin It's the little details that did it for me. The lift from the train station, the coffee, the time that everyone took to chat and that fact that no-one complained when I stank their toilet out:eek: :lol (Thank the lord there was an air freshener in there:D ). Then there was the mechanical side, the fact that parts were replaced on my bike because there was a known problem with them and even though it hadn't affected me yet, it was still done as a precautionary measure. Glen the mechanic at KJM took the bike out for a test ride to get a feel of it, something which no-one else has ever done on any other bike I've owned. Little things like this mean a lot to me as a customer and as a rider:smokin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: KJM's after sales service

I agree entirly, i was due to take my tnt in but as i now have 2 fractured wrists i,ll have to get them to collect it hopefully and fit a new radiator at the same time.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Hector, what happend to your wrists?

Al, this is good news! Thanks for taking the time to write. A nice mini vacation it was heh?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Toby, i did a track day last Tuesday and half way through the second session i was taken out on a fast right hander, head first into the hay bales.>: So at least six weeks off work (no pay ) cant fix the bike , cant walk the dog, just about lift a cup of coffee and type with one finger.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hector's limp wrists

Jeez Hector, that is really unlucky buddy:( What track where you at when you came off and which corner was it? You mentioned that someone took you out, so what happened to the other bloke (at least I'm assuming it was a bloke)? I'm kinda crapping myself to take mine on the track now as this forum seemes to be jinxed:rollin
Still, I'm glad you're okay buddy and get well soon;)

Al

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Hector's limp wrists

Al, it was at Oulton Park turning into OldHall, i,d allready seen this guy on gsxr1000 go wide and nearly come to a stand still at the previous corner (lodge ) so i certainly didn,t expect to see him underneath me (inside) at old hall, luckily my bike is virtually undamaged and as far as i know hes allright but his bike looked pretty wrecked, plastics, holed crankcase etc, brand new k5 model to.If there was ever a case of having a bike way beyond your ability that was definitly him.
Hopefully i,ll be back at Oulton in June.

Thanks for asking Simon.

P.S i like the subject title.:rollin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Hector's limp wrists

sorry to hear that hector, get well soon...

I used to do trackdays on my NSR250 and there were no shortage of slow R1s and Gixxer 1000 on the track who clearly didn't belong... they would pull away from me on straights and I would pass them on the *outside* in turns, only to find them nearly t-boning me at the end of straights running shallow... So then what I usually do was to slow way down half way before the end of a long straight to let them pass, to build some distance between me and those guys before entering the more technical section.

glad to hear your bike didn't take much damage.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts