Benelli Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had this?

My indicators stop indicating quite often, for long periods of time, and then they work again for a while, and then they dont. By not working i mean they stay lit constantly without blinking. On a trip of about 2 hours they work/dont work about 4-5 times.

Maybe relais problem?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If your indicators stay on, it generally means that your flasher unit is stuffed, but for that to happen, they must be on in the first place. Seems to me that your indicator switch is dodgy. If ALL indicators are on, I reckon that would be a fair bet - or a short somewhere. Have you checked your loom under the seat? Mine was cut through by the ECU bracket - and shorted out.

The indicators don't operate through relays. Just lamp to switch to flasher unit to supply fuse.

Good luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, they work normally, meaning, when i put the switch to the left, the left ones go on, when to the right the right ones do, when clicking "off" they go off, so all behaviour is normal, except for the fact that they refuse to "blink" most of the time

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It seems a problem with the flashing-unit to me. That kind of electronics are not the most reliable parts of italian bikes and cars

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's a cheap and quick 'fix'

It is indeed your flasher unit relay that is the problem!!!

After a while the contact surfaces get 'rough' and this can make then stick together, hence the reason they are constantly on.

Either replace it if you can find another one, but make sure it is exactly the same rating as the original.

Alternatively, remove the existing flasher unit relay, it is the little black box that sits right next to the battery which you can access by removing the riders seat.

Pull the relay upwards until it touches the rear fairing panel then pull it forward, You can just about squeeze it out between the frame and the plastic fairing panel but it is quite a tight fit, however, this will save you from removing the rear faining panel just to get access to it.

Once you have removed it prize open the plastic cover and the flasher unit will be exposed. Take a nail file or use an emery board and 'gently' clean between the two small contact surfaces, then replace the cover and refit.

That should keep you going for a while.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Indicators

Had the right hand side indicators (only !) fail after the bike was a few months old. Left was always OK, but Right would be OK one day, then flash at random speeds, and sometimes flash a few times and stop.

At the same time I had problems with the indicators staying on with the ignition key removed, the alarm being triggered a couple of times at random and the main fuse blowing.

After a new wiring loom (under warantee) all the problems were fixed.

Hopefully yours is only a simple problem - I'd try investigating the fixes to the relay first if I was you ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
same here

thought I had heard of this before, mine is doing it too, will try a clean tonight to see if it fixes the problem, if not its a warranty item :rollin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Loom fault?

I haven't had any problems with my indicators, but, maybe it was just luck. I had the bike only a few months before the loom was severed by the frame! The ECU bracket had an edge that cut like a knife. Straight through several wires, then finally blew a fuse and stopped the whole show. (I posted this early in 2005)
Might be worthwhile having a look at the loom, and check for damage

1 - 8 of 8 Posts