Benelli Forum banner

Intake rings?

11K views 31 replies 13 participants last post by  Tre K 
#1 ·
View attachment 2121

I havent seen any posts where these are mentioned? Has anybody removed them? They restrict the intakes from 55ml to 40ml. I bet they arent in the Tornado? The airbox still seals perfectly without them.

#7 ·
I'm in the process of putting it back together, I'm not sure whether to leave them out or not. There is no doubt they restrict the air flow a lot and I reckon its Benelli way of taming the 1130 for the Trek. I'm sure removing them will have a much bigger effect than removing the flaps.

I'm just concerned it will run like crap without a new map. Which means more money.

(No Its not an alien)
I also cut this hole in the front of the air intake. The benellis are so restricted with there air flow for such a big motor. Considering most 1000cc bikes have huge ram air intakes, the Trek's are tiny. I dont like to cut and drill into my bikes, but i think this will be worth it,plus its well hidden.

I will install it today without the rings and let you know how it goes. View attachment 2126

#12 ·
I have just had my first ride since i removed the air intake flaps, wired open the exhaust valve, DNA filter, modified(drilled a big hole) air intake and removed intake rings(I made that term up, not sure what there called, maybe "choker rings" or "not necessary rings"?).

One word would describe it best, faaaarrrrkk!! It goes like a rocket!! And with no fueling problems at all. It starts and idles perfectly and pulls like a train. I wound the throttle on fairly hard in 2nd and it lofted the front about two feet without a problem, caught me by suprise actually. I'm sure I will get used to it.:D Its also louder.

I have no idea about MPG yet, plus the way I'm riding, it will be horrible anyway. Dont really care either.

Considering some sticky tyres now and getting rid of the Continental TKC 80'S. They look cool on the Amazonas and work well in the off road stuff but the 1130 flattens the knobs on the rear in no time. Alright for a BMW, but not a powerful donk like the Benelli.

#13 ·
I did the same mod to the air intakes(cutting a hole in the front) just used a sharp knife and followed the contours of the flat bit where you cut the hole.

results in a larger sort of triangle shaped hole results are spot on. bigger air flow no hotter than what already gets in keeps the swan neck shape to help stop water ingress and the induction roar is much mor pronounced.

No picture but if you look at the one on previous page and imagine cutting a triangle shape around the round hole. ( looks better too :rolling: )

Ed

#14 ·
I wonder if the intake rings are part of the restrictor kit for when the bikes are sold to new riders in the uk can't recal the details but they have to be restricted to a lower bhp untill you have been riding for so many years.

I noticed some where that the bikes are available in this trim

Suzuki used to do the same on the bandit maybe not though as the limit is 33bhp not sure the level of restriction would be enough.

Also notice that some countrys have limited bhp bikes just a thought.

Ed

#15 ·
hey all,
Matt from bennetts
these rings are for emisions to comply with euro 3, take them out, remove or disconnect flaps and disconnect the exhaust valve, then lockwire it open, make sure you get it in the correct possition,
works better with a good remap tho!!
and yes ferretts was remapped.

cheers all,
Matt

#17 ·
Ferret,
Good to hear you're grinning again!:clap:

#19 ·
Hi Ash "n" Pilgrim no its not fixed yet but the diagnoses has been done and the reasons why have been found .I was referring to the remaps that were installed by Matt on the Axone last year when the new motor was run in .These made a world of difference no on/off throttle nice response and ridable at walking pace and in town traffic without the constant stalling and all within the parameters of the ecu and axone . However i do feel that there is more that can be done via tune boy which i was saving my pennies for before she failed .As regards my bike Sir Russ and doctor Matt can have it done soon which is great But i am awaiting answers from The QC`s at Benelli to reply to my off the cuff emails which has yet to happen .I will divulge all after the dead line i gave them expires which is tomorrow .I have been curtious so far to them and not gave them a slagging on here or in mcn both of which will happen if they dont reply .I would just like to say a big thank you to Russ for sorting out the bike so far . How`s your`s now Ash ?

#22 ·
Matt be careful now Laurence will be on the phone for a group buy now lol .
Common you lot it will be well worth the time and money to treat your nelli to a little fettle .I would recommend this first before you decide to buy any after market items for map adjustments as this could save you some dosh .

#27 ·
I think that could work but only using a bigger drill size IMHO try an 8mm

#31 ·
Tre-K,
I agree, Move On.......
And up to.........
a TNT!:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.