Benelli Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you have experience, good or bad, of intercom systems? I know we usually ride solo, but once in a while, she-who-must-be-obeyed has to be given due consideration; ahem:rolleyes: . There is the bike-to-bike function as well, of course.
Can anyone recommend a good system; any pitfalls; and where to obtain it?

Cheers

Ian

·
Registered
297 Posts
starcom

Starcom is as good as it gets for bikes without spending a few grand for a "long way round" type setup.
http://www.starcom1.com/therange.htm
The important thing to note is buy the advance or digital depending on your needs, the remote volume control on the bars is handy. Its a pita without it if you're listening to music and need to stop and talk to someone.

The biketobike range is determined by the radios you buy.... most of the ones advertised on the starcom site are good, but you can get the same radios cheaper via ebay etc. I got a dodgy radio in my starcom pack, and i left it too late to return it. Apart from that, service from them is great, either by mail or phone.

A lot of the accessories can be made yourself if you're in any way handy with wires and a metal file....like the remote volume control, and the headset bracket etc. All of the connections are mini-din or phono, which are easy got and figured out..

·
Registered
512 Posts
Have a word with any of your local bike instructors. As they use them all day every day they're probably best source of advice.

every time I see them in the shops I think that's a good idea for me and the wife when we're out on a ride together....

...then I remember its the only peace I get and walk rapidly past the display before she sees them.:rolling: :rolling:

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I've used an Autocom rider-pillion system for 7yrs. Quality is excellent and conversations perfectly capable into 3 figure speeds. Phone/music attatments come with kit, and bike to bike available as add-ons. They are expensive tho.

In past I have tried a couple of cheap and cheerful one's but found them to be total sh*te, as the purple helmets would say ;)

p.s. Option 3 - buy LE :D

·
ENGLAND FOREVER
1,565 Posts
I brought an Autocom system for me & the Ball & Chain. Easy to use, not too expensive & really clear speech upto 120 mph. I hard wired my one into the bike which was really easy.

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
If you don't want an expensive set up why don't you consider these?

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
every time I see them in the shops I think that's a good idea for me and the wife when we're out on a ride together....

...then I remember its the only peace I get and walk rapidly past the display before she sees them.:rolling: :rolling:
My mate has an intercom setup for his wife, but, shortly after fitting he fitted an ON-OFF switch on the handlebars.. :rolling:

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the feedback, guys:clap: . The Autocom 200 duo kit is available at the mo for under £100; rrp about £200. Maybe they are clearing the way for new models; I think it is a clearance price; but I don't want anything with too many high-tech features, just good quality. Does that sound like a good package?

I tried going on the Starcom website, but it caused my computer to seize up, so that didn't go down too well:doh: :doh:

Cheers:D

Ian

·
349 Posts
Lou and i have been using the Autocom system for 5 years and it really is excellent.Even with ear plugs i can just about hear her screaming.The Tre is so rattly and the resonance up through the fairing is annoying at low speed without the ear plugs.But on the TNT and the Sprint ST without earplugs the Autocom is fine up to 100mph.And i am deaf in 1 ear!!Who said that!?:)

·
ENGLAND FOREVER
1,565 Posts
Lou and i have been using the Autocom system for 5 years and it really is excellent.Even with ear plugs i can just about hear her screaming.The Tre is so rattly and the resonance up through the fairing is annoying at low speed without the ear plugs.But on the TNT and the Sprint ST without earplugs the Autocom is fine up to 100mph.And i am deaf in 1 ear!!Who said that!?:)
I have an Autocom system..........but where can i get a Mrs like Lou :hero: :hero:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts