Benelli Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
I'm firing on three
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 3 years ago I played around with the air sensor on my 05 TNT; I put a pot in place of the air sensor which on early models was positioned in the bottom of the airbox. The idea was to allow me to fool the ECU into thinking the air was cooler or hotter than the actual ambient air temp, it definitely made a difference and helped me to dramatically reduce the hot start problem experienced on early 1130 engines, and also stopped the over fuelling problem at the bottom end, however I realised I still needed the sensor but I also needed a way of fooling the sensor output to the ECU (via a variable pot) this set up would keep the variable signal going to the ECU (via the sensor output) but allow me to change the sensor set point
due to lack of spare time I ended up moving the sensor to the front of the bike under the head light cowl where it was unaffected by radiant engine temperatures (similar to all the new TNT’s) whilst browsing I found this site
https://www.bike-design.com/article.php?id=631

which looks like it does what I was playing with, in theory this is simple but effective way of changing the CO’s on the engine without needing laptops dyno’s, Axones etc
Anyone played with one of these boys or know someone who has?

·
Registered
885 Posts
I bought a thing for my car which plugs into the air temp sensor which in turn makes the ecu think the engine is cold and adjusts the mixture which increases the bhp by 20bhp(allegedly) and also gives better fuel consumption(its giving around 7mpg more than before) and like you say no need for remap etc, I dunno how this would work for the bike as its already in a higher state of tune, but food for thought anyway:)

·
5,934 Posts
This might help the situation, but it won't solve the problem of incorrect fuelling. An AT will go much further, in my humble opinion, although it is more intrusive. It's transformed my 903.

·
I'm firing on three
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This might help the situation, but it won't solve the problem of incorrect fuelling. An AT will go much further,
Totally agree with you Erroll, but maybe for those who are frightened by the tuneboy or PCIII route, are not looking for the very last HP but would like to improve the fuelling setup a little without needing laptops, Axones or dyno's it could be a interesting cost effective method?

·
5,934 Posts
As I understand it, the ECU modifies the fuel charge, dependant on air temperature (air density). If it thinks the temp is high (less dense) it will lean out the charge in order to keep the air/fuel ratio in agreement with the map. If low, it will enrichen it.
That being the case, it will work - sort of.

The difficulty I see, is getting the AFR correct. There's no feedback, so you don't know what the AFR actually is. You're dependent on the device limits not allowing over correction.

If you combined this with wideband O2 sensor, & an LM-1 to show/log the AFR, you'd have it sorted - to a degree.

(There's no way to compensate a map with the wrong AFR/rpm/tp curve though)

I think it's a worthwhile device. It allows you to improve the situation, without being too intrusive. If you go the AT way, you've got some major re-wiring on your plate.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts