Benelli Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still going round in circles deciding whether to swap my trusty Aprilia for a Benelli and noticed a few RS models kicking around for circa £1,000 more than the "standard" bike.

From previous experience it looks to me like the cost is justified but just wondered what the experts thought!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
RS.. Yup!

Hmmm.. I'm hardly an expert.. I've only had my RS a week or so.. but I do work in the trade. I definitely would recommend the RS, especially at the frankly quite silly price you can buy one for now.. Not only do you get the additional 'jewellery' that the RS boasts, you get a little bit more power/torque, which from what I've read/experienced, the bike really needs...

But where you really gain is resale value. The 2nd hand value of your RS is likely to be considerably more than £1k over the price of the TRE. Partly thats due to desirability (look that the 'base' model of a car.. never that one thats sought after as a 2nd hand buy) but also the RS is not seen as the 'problem' bike, rightly or wrongly the TRE is, (I think thats just because of the later introduction of the RS and the perception that the faults were fixed.. which I think you'll find from this forum is not always the case)

So, the trade currently books an RS much more than £1000 more than a TRE, So in effect, spend the extra, get all the toys to play with, sell/px it and perhaps get £2k back more than an equivalent TRE...

Maybe not a yellow one though ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
x

Thanks for that,

I hadn't really thought about the resale values but I had thought that a bike with the extras added from new would be worth more than one with parts fitted afterwards.

My current Aprilia is a base model but it has Oz wheels & Ohlins suspension front and rear. These cost me a small fortune but aren't worth that much if I sell it on.

Probably make it easier to sell than a stock bike - hopefully!

I can't believe some of the prices out there at the moment in the UK for both Tre's & RS's. I thought there msut be something wrong for them to be selling so far below retail.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Colour?

Forgot to add - which colour will hold value best?

I really like the "classic" green & silver but have seen more red ones around than any other colour.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Which colour

You're spot on.. extras added to a standard model dont really add anything to a value.. just make it more likely to be chosen over a 'plain' one.. however, a manufacturer specc'd model upgrade is for sure worth more..

I don't think the RS is available from the factory in the green/silver (but I stand to be corrected) so its a choice (i believe) of red or yellow.. and no matter what the mags or even the dealers will say (when they're selling you one).. the trade doesn't really like yellow bikes.. only cos 'used' punters for them are few and far between..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Which colour

I've got a yellow one and have never had so much attention from bikers and non bikers alike!! the colour in sunlight is stunning.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yellow

Mate.. I like yellow too... its not a personal thing... just that 2nd or 3rd hand buyers are sometimes a bit conservative..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
RS

I think the RS is a much better bike to ride but only because of the new inlet cam giving more midrange power, personally I'd rather have a Tornado with all the updates and an RS inlet cam.

I always lapped quicker on my Tornado than I did on my RS.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Updates?

Interestingly I spoke to a dealer who's lsiting bikes pretty cheap and he claimed the Tre was unchanged since launch?

He's currently listing brand new bikes at £5,999 and £6,999 for the RS.

I quizzed him on what "new" really meant and they are unregistered - however he was a little "evasive" about the actual age of manufacture!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Age of bikes

According to CAP guide Benelli ceased production of the 900 Tornados in March 05.....I 've just got an RS and the bodywork certainly has some 05 plastics on it.....according to the date stamps on the inside

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hmm

My RS has some 05 plastics too.. possibly that was just wishful thinking on behalf of the factory :)

John, how come you'd lap faster on the TRE?.. Do you know why?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lap times

I think the forks, rear shock and conventional front brakes must have made me feel more comfortable? I never really got around to setting up (or running-in for that matter) the RS suspension but I always felt more comfortable on the Tornado than the RS.

The only setting-up I really did to the Tornado 900 was put in stiffer, straight-rate 1.0 kg fork springs (for track use, use .9 or .95 for road). I did put stiffer springs in the RS but it never felt as good.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I could sell my 05 RS with extras

I may sell my RS 05 (May 05) plate with 2,500 miles and 2 years warranty left. It is the Red and Black one. 12 months tax, double bubble screen, Benelli RS offical bike cover, Offical benelli red and black baseball cap. £6,000. Not bad if you want a well run in bike, with £240 of extra's with a £1,000 saving from current new price. Let me know. [email protected]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts