Benelli Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been watching Benelli closely these last couple of years and decided after seeing first pics that I would get one when it get's here to the US. I was thnking of replacing my Aprilia RSVR with the Tre. Does this lawsuit with the US distributor mean that it's most likely that this won't be possible?
Maybe I shold be looking at the new 2004 SRV FActory or the MVF4 Mille?

Hope you guys can get Benelli off their butts and work this thing out.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello Mille2002r,
Welcome to the fourm. I used to have the same bike as you do, assuming that you have a 2002 MilleR as your log-in implies.
I sold mine in anticipation of the Tornado making it to the US, but alas things are looking sketchy. See the latest post at the General discussion area: Latest News!

To our knowledge, there are a few if these bikes in the possession of the US importers but they have to send them back to Benelli or face fines because the bikes are not DOT/EPA approved. There was a red one on Ebay for a while going for $19K plus that was somehow imported and registered by a private individual.

We heard that arbitration in the Italian courts will take place on the 19th of this month. Who knows about what may end up happening with this lawsuit. It may be next year before we get any encouraging news.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mille2002r: Most of us have to work hard for our money, so spend it on something worthy like RSV Factory or MV. DO NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE AS I DID.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Man you sound pretty bitter with your ownership experience. Do all Tornado owners feel like that? Scares me a bit. Anyone else care to chime in with their ownership experiences?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Mille2002r,

I agree - DON'T do it !

Don't get me wrong, it a beutiful peice of work but it's a nightmare. things seem to go wrong with it by the week

It's a bit like having a super model as a girlfriend - everyone looks and admires but they don't have to put up with the sh*t when you get home :)

BTW - the New MV 1000 looks great

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All,

I'm new to this forum but not the struggle of owning a Benelli. I'm in Northern California and have had a US$2,700 deposit down w/ my dealer there for ages. Of course, no one knows anything officially. I'm glad I found this group to share the agony of having to wait for this bike. However, after reading all of the horrible things lately I'm worried that maybe I should pull my deposit? I'm not rich but have made the money available to buy a BiPosto when they came on sale but I can't afford to have a US$20,000 boat anchor. Granted, it could serve as art and many pieces of art sell for more than $20K :p But I want to be able to ride the thing and take it to the track. My wife and friends keep asking me what's going on and I don't want to poison the name with all of the political crap going on. Maybe I should buy an MV or wait until Ducati comes out w/ a V4?

Chris
NorCal
1993 Honda VFR750F
1994 Honda RVF400R

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello Chris,
Welcome to the forum from hell!! We're glad you finally made it here.
Like you I have been waiting for a Tornado to show up and have actually sold my 2002 MilleR in anticipation of the bike making it here. Sad to say it's not looking good but we're trying our best to use this forum as a way to air our concerns. We hope that Benelli notices these discussions or at best some rich well heeled investors like the group that baled Ducati out, to come in and take over the marque and run it like a real business. Then we'll all be on the ground floor of a really awesome revival of the Benelli brand. Count me in as one of the ones with my fingers crossed.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Chris,

Welcome to the world of Benelli !

In fairness, IF the bikes ever gets to the US all the problems should have been fixed. Thats the good news.

The bad news is that given Benelli's track record of fixing problems It'll arrive on US shores as crap as it is on EU soil.

It's going to be at least 6 months before Benelli ever have an official US outlet, so on that basis I'd be asking for a refund.

The bike is the finist handling bike I've owned and it looks great but the rest doesn't bear thinking about. I could fill pages with faults, from a faulty clutch to cracking body panels - think yourself lucky that you've only put a deposit down.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
benelli coming to the U.S ?

The current situation is that Superbike Inc has an injunction and damages suit in the U.S against Benelli for $3.5 million.
By five counts of Italian law Benelli are in breach of the contract.
Arbitration is in process in Italy it will not be finished until March 04
If Benelli want to settle the dispute early then the injunction will be lifted. if not then it stays in effect.as a federal appeal is in motion that could last another 10 to 12 months,
I think it is reasonable to assume that Benelli will not enter the U.S until next year.
You have to be thankful that the bikes did not come to the U.S this year or last.

I am sure none of you guys would have been very pleased. Just look at the guys across the pond.
The very bad situation is that Benelli mislead and were not honest with us.
Then releasing an inferior product to the consumer.
They then tried to put all the blame on us. By annoucing that they terminated our contract when they realised that if they came to the U.S it would have been even more catastrophic for them.

I am sure that when the bikes do arrive they won't have anywhere near the problems that they have now.

But what is really a disgrace is the way in which Andrea Merloni's actions last year and January 03, has brought this situation where it is today he is totaly responsible for the mess.
It is inconcievable that anyone with half a brain would have done this.
He has caused irreperable harm to the Benelli name.

What was suppose to have been such an exiting and wonderful event has turned to bitterness and disaster for everyone.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
benelli's going back

Our bikes and scooters did pass the federal testing, They are being sent back because Benelli has ignored our repeated request from September 02. To send us certification labels.
The federal government are asking us to re export these vehicles or face fines.
We purchased these from Benelli and are asking them to repurchase. We no longer have any use for these bikes and scooters.

Stay tuned

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: benelli's going back

This just doesn't make sense. If they've already passed all the tests, how hard is it to print up a few VIN stickers? Could you guys do it? At least you could try and recoup some of your losses.... Nothing good every comes once the lawyers get involved. :(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
reply to striders post

The certification labels and VIN must be affixed to the bikes by the manufacturer, before they leave the factory.
The federal authorities must have a sample copy of these labels produced by the manufacturer.They rely upon the manufacturer to produce vehicles that meet the U.S standards

We considered buying bikes from another importer. After careful consideration we decided not to. The bikes would require many modifications. With all the problems that the bike has. Without any support from Benelli the situation would have been disastorous for all concerned.

I hope this information is of benefit to you.

Andrew

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: reply to striders post

Andrew,

Yeah, I'm definitely glad that if/when we finally do get our hands on bikes over here that they'll run well and not have too many problems (we expect some, it's Italian after all :p ) Reading about it from the outside the whole thing just seems so childish. Not to mention frustrating for we customers dutifully lined up to plop our money down.

Here's hoping for a Benelli in my garage by next spring.

Chris
'94 Honda RVF400
'93 Honda VFR750

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hawaiian Tornado

Andrew,

I bought my Tre in Germany with "American specs" but when I tried to register it, it was noted that the conformity sticker was missing. I received a sticker from Benelli after harassing the dealer for a few months but the VIN on the sticker did not match the bike. I am running out of options here and risk taking a huge hit financially for something that I can't even enjoy. Any advice?

Chris

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
sounds like a factory stuff up

speak to either Joel at GP star in Beverly Hills as he is probably the best man to speak to regarding Benelli in the US, Andrew Wright i would expect doesnt visit this forum anymore, and probably has his hands full with the whole Mondial drama that unfolded. personnally i would ask for a Official factory letter stating that your VIN plate on your bike states that it does meet US EPA spec's and they get off their arses and get your sticker!!!!!!!

Seriously ,when are our US brethren going to get a "official" importer???, If Benelli sold you a tre on the understanding that it is a US spec bike but cant get their @#%$/documentation together, demand they give you a new one from GP Star and you return them your machine until such time they sort out its docementation.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hawaiian Tornado

Thanks aussie. I'll look Joel up and hope that he can give me an easy solution.

Chris

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.