Benelli Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Member - Avatar by MDIB
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watched a highlights package of this years Isle of Mann TT at the weekend, these guys are mental, probably the best thing i have ever seen on the tube. Its my new lifelong ambition to get over there to see it. Have any of you guys been and is it true that after the race you can ride the course on your own bike.
Now that would be something twenty or thirty big Nelli tripples hooning around showing up all the Jap bikes. I can nearly hear it........:bow:

·
Still trying!
490 Posts
Put it on your list of things to do! Yes you can ride the course, bits of it are closed off (on Mad Sunday) and there are no speed limits on some parts. I have been several times with friends who take part (on sidecars) .. brilliant fun as part of the team. I find riding round it quite scary as there are shed loads of folk passing you all over the place but if you apply some common sense it is ok. Just book early so you can get a place on the boat... accommodation needs arrange well in advance too. TT fortnight is very busy but the Manx GP is a quieter but not so spectacular. Best start saving!:D Mike

·
ENGLAND FOREVER
1,565 Posts
Tt Fun

Alright mate, i have been a few times. Went last year for the 100th TT. Mad sunday has been done away with, the mountain section of the course from Ramsey Hairpin to Creg Ne Ba (12 miles) used to be made one way on the sunday. The result was that everyone used to ride like tossers & kill themselves leaving a hell of a mess on the road & closing it for hours on end. Now the road is one way for the whole fortnight of the TT, which is a much better idea. Its a bit daunting the first time you ride it but you soon get the hang of it(just dont look in the mirrors!!) The circuit is 37 miles round, the roads are great, the people are very bike friendly.The only place that i could be happier is if i was locked in a bedroom with Dannii & Kylie!!!!!:p come over mate, you will love it :D

·
Member - Avatar by MDIB
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like a plan Lee, Kylie is probably busy but could probably arrange to bring Danni with me, she's not doing much these days

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
The Isle of Man is my idea of heaven!
I've been going over each year for the TT and Manx GP for the last 12 years. Have been marshalling both events for 4 years. The racing is spectacular, with close and easy access, and.... it's FREE! :D
There are so many great places to view from, and not herded 100yds away bind fences and barriers.

The course is a public road and hence all bar a few yards of it are open to public use. Sadly safety threatens all the time and the island gets more and more reduced speed limits every year :(

As to riding around I would personally say that your mirrors are ESSENTIAL and can be the difference between lefe and death. Watch them like a hawk!
On the mountain you can be overtaken anywhere, anyhow and not always legal and safe. So you need to know who is around you at all times. You will hear comments like "you only need to go faster" :rolling: reality is that there is always someone who can go quicker than you and even more who 'think' they can go quicker, so best to avoid their spill.

Ferry fares are outrageous! Accomodation needs to be booked 12+ months in advance.
All in all not a cheap holiday but def my choice for 3+ weeks avery year :ele:

·
Member - Avatar by MDIB
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Secretly, I think I was hoping you guys would say dont go its rubbish and I could put that idea to rest and move on to wishing for a nice family holiday on the barrier reef or something but now I really really want to go, thanks for the heads up guys and maybe one day Ill make it over.....:D

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Secretly, I think I was hoping you guys would say dont go its rubbish and I could put that idea to rest and move on to wishing for a nice family holiday on the barrier reef or something but now I really really want to go, thanks for the heads up guys and maybe one day Ill make it over.....:D
:rolling: :rolling: sadly it's worse than that :( many people fear that the 'health & safety' brigade may kill off the TT. They certainly seem hell bent onmaking it intrinsically safe.
The reality is that it is the danger and close proximity to speed that attracts so many to the greatest road racing event on earth.

·
ENGLAND FOREVER
1,565 Posts
Never Fear

Dont worry, the TT will never bow down to the PC/ Health & Safety lobby,The isle of Man is independent from Westminister, Although Her Majesty the Queen(God Bless Her) is head of state, Gaydon Brown is not the Primeminister. They have there own Parliament(the oldest in the world) & are responsible for making their own Laws. We all know, as do the Manx people that the TT is vital to the islands economy & if they went to far over the top with anti bike laws they may as well all move to the mainland. Nil Desperandum my Brother benelli Bikers!!!!! Just watch out for the tram lines along Douglas prom.....They will get you :mad:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts