Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for a while for a yellow RS. Today in my lunch break i was browsing and phoned to enquire about one.. next thing the switch card is out and Im getting it in a fortnight.
What have I done :doh:
The R1 is going.. fell in love with the Benelli but so hope I did not make the wrong decision :p

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Well done and welcome to the fold.... :)
You will never be the same again.... :rolling:

The R1 is a fantastic machine but oh so sterile and to be honest, common as sh*te. :D

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know, I have been riding bikes for many years and R1's for the last 6 of them. I fell in love with the Benelli many years ago but never took the plunge for my fear of how fragile they might be, lack of parts etc...

Im absolutely delighted however and hope it meets my expectations. I ride about 8000 miles every year in all weathers.. i just hope it does not let me down. The R1 might have been common but it was reliable!

Also, is there anything I need to be aware of in terms of recalls? It is a late 2005 reg but 2004 model as they all are?

I als need to get a race pipe for it.. Arrow i believe?... where can I get one? and will in need an ecu update?

Thanks in advance

·
1,841 Posts
Hi mr n33ly, welcome to the "Yellowbenelliclub", If you fit the race can you need the 6105 map,the standard map is 6103,there are no others for RS.
I did not think the clock reset problem applied to RS,but I think i did read of one with fault,my clocks have not had a problem. I have had loose front and left engine mounts and also the locknut on rear mount by the clutch,these faults occur on any models so worth checking. The RS clutch has the larger middle gear but my RS is off road waiting for a new clutch at the moment.:(
Engenias site covers most things that may need doing. :ele:

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Colintornado

Thanks for your expert information, great to know these things as I am pretty maticulous about my bikes and also maintenance. I do all of my servicing and repairs myself.

My next question is therefor:

Reading the owners manual which i downloaded from this site it seems the bike has a service indicator... how can I reset this myself?

Valve clearances every 3k.. well at least the radiator is under the seat.. one less thing to remove lol..

How easy is it to get parts and consumables?? An arrow exhaust and a couple of oil filters to start me off?

Thanks guys

Neil:bow:

·
mid life crisis merchant
897 Posts
Hi there n33ly and welcome to the club!
I had an r1 for two years and I would never go back to 1 to tell you the truth,
as good as they are there's something special about nelli's that really gets under your skin.
ps sorry to but in but, hi colintornado can you tell me if those map codes apply to the tre as well as the rs?

Cheer's
Johnny:cool:

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Congrats on your purchase :D

You will love it - Just remember it is Italian and will have a temprament to match !!!

THere are minor recalls/mods that have been done under warranty - the most important one is the clutch basket mod

Re race can - why not consider one of THESE

Available from selected Benelli dealerships in Yorkshire :rolling: :D :D

G

·
yellow is heaven

Hi
Congrates on the purchase of the best colour RS:bow: :bow: :bow: and welcome to the fold. :D
Can i be really cheeky :p and ask how much it was cuz i'm selling mine :( when i come back from Germany next week. :bawl:

·
1,841 Posts
Hold the trip button in then turn ignition on and hold button in until it goes out.
It is not that bad to work on once you know how to get fairings off etc.
I check throttles etc with fairings on. It does not take long.
The core plug check/replacement is common (I have not done mine yet!)
Also the coil clean and seal is important,or failure will happen eventually.
If you are doing your maintainance, I would order from KJM to put on the garage shelf.
1) oil filters
2) core plugs (2 in pack) you prob only have one on engine.
3) alternator drive rubbers (if you check and need you will want them then)
:ele: :ele:

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Excellent, great information and a great welcome also guys.

I paid 6k for the bike which i thought was good. A bit of a niche market but I like it that way. I like to be diferent.

I will speak to KJM regarding consumables and spares thanks. The closest dealership to me is Bennets it appears and they have some excellent reviews from this forum which is encouraging.

I have been looking for one of these for ages and today was obviously the day. It is still on the Taz website if anyone wants to see it, but will be with me in under a fortnight, I have a plate to transfer onto it and also work out how to get it to Edinburgh!

ith regards the exhaust, im a bit of a traditionalist and absolutely love the look of the Benelli Arrow race pipe and link pipe... does anyone know the best place to get one? and also what I will need to remap the ecu? Can I use a powercommander?

Thanks guys

Neil :bow:

·
1,841 Posts
Johnny 1, The tre current maps are 6033 standard and 6034 race, these are for the benelli cans, so a different race can may not match the race map.
Hi Kurt, the TRE had the clutch updated to one with the wider middle gear,but the RS has the wider gear anyway. My clutch has knackered shock springs etc, but I believe mine is just a faulty part (made by Surflex).

·
1,841 Posts
If you are just fitting the Benelli race can and intend to leave it on ,the best bet would just get a dealer with the Axone machine to load the 6105 map on.
You can buy TuneBoy cable and software and then change maps when you like etc. If you fitted power commander then you would need to run on a dyno to set the pc to match the can.
hope that helps.:)

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Colin

I had a look at the tuneboy but think I take a run to Bennets some time this year and have the can installed throught them and the map loaded unless I can find one online somewhere and but a tuneboy.

Would you happen to know who makes a race pipe for the bike other than Arrow? but the same style as arrow ie not a short dumpy looking can but upswept can that hangs off the rear peg?

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Excellent help guys,

I will do some research and make a few calls and see what I can come up with. Laurence, I see you are local and a magician for finding parts for tornados! :ele:

I feel confident in my purchase now as this site and members seem to be an excellent font of knowledge!

Thanks all :clap:

G

·
Hi Again

Did you know there are only 33 yellow RS'S in the country.
:bow: VERY EXCLUSIVE :bow:

I was hoping to get 6K for mine. It still has 18months extra warrenty and next to no miles on it so should get close on. :bawl: :(

I had the original Beowulf can fitted up at the factory. They made the link pipe and fitted an off the shelf heat treated Stainless can. Same as Colin has on his. The link pipe is ok but the can takes some looking after and marks very easily. looked great when it was new, Not to impressed with it now. Sounds brilliant tho (even with the baffle in). :D :D
And as Colin says There CHEAP and have a long garrenty :clap:
If you want one buy direct from the manufacturer. they have a web site.
Or ring 01422 377603
There in Halifax.
Hope this is some help

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Pony

Thanks for your knowledge and help!
I have been looking for ages for a yellow RS.. but I needed to find a nearly new one to narrow the gap in changing. I wish i had known about yours :doh: good luck with the sale. I believe there were about 140 reds, i knew the Yellow were scarce but 33 really is!

I have not seen a tornado on the roads for yrs so i guess the chances of me seeing a yellow rs are pretty slim!

Personally I think they are a bargain at 6k, but it is a niche market.. I guess there are very few people around with taste :rolling:

Thanks for the info on the exhaust. Im really looking for the Benelli Arrow or the carbon fibre oval arrow but am stumped as to where to find one? will contact a dealer tomorrow and ask them.

Just reading up on various tornado teething issues in advance of the arrival.

·
5,934 Posts
Also the coil clean and seal is important,or failure will happen eventually.
Mine were kept clean and "sealed". Even diverted the airbox drain to the front of the engine. They still failed around 40,000 km.

The problem is, it's impossible to seal them perfectly. Changing atmospheric pressure will defeat you every time.

When they fail, change over to Delphi coils. They ARE sealed.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Race can problem solved.
Spoke to Ken at bennetts Motorcycles, what a great guy. Found me a used can and will be taking care of the remap when the bike arrives.

It seems to me that Bennetts are a great, enthusiastic, knowledgeable bunch of guys. I tried to buy a new Yellow RS off them but could not quite stretch to it. It's a shame as i really wanted to buy a bike from them.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 66 Posts