Benelli Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - new to this forum and would appreciate some advice. I am lucky to have an LE however being vertically challenged I have to slip off the seat to reach the floor at junctions (polishing the seats helps). Does anyone have any experience of these 'jack down kits' which change the links on the rear suspension. Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Don't know what a "jack down kit" is, but, I'm 5'7" and understand your problem. I dropped mine 10mm through the triple clamps, and backed off the preload on the rear by 10mm. Then I added more angle to the side stand so that it wouldn't sit near vertical.

It's documented here

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Short arses unite!

Hello mister

I'm only 5'5" (not sure in metric I think its about 30 cm) and I've had the front dropped through the forks by 10mm.

Works fine for me, right foot on brake, slight side shift and I'm flat footed on the left.

I think you'll find the seat more forgiving than most due to its roundish profile.

I personally would'nt bother with any lowering kit...unneccessary and cost money.

Just my 2 penneth

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Short arses unite!

In researching this topic myself, I have found that it is safe to lower the suspension front forks and/or the rear ride height by 10mm/1cm ....(you also could go to a lower profile 120 x 60 x 17" front tire too)....

Beyond the 10mm/1cm lowering....you may have clearance issues with the front and/or rear huggers/fenders and the bike....plus you may have issuses with clearance in cornering/lean angle where you may scratch/scrape parts of the bike...this may vary depending on your riding style too of course...

There is also the issue of needing to modify the angle or length of the side stand, so when parked the bike is not to vertical as to be in danger of tipping over....

:)

myself...I plan to lower both front and rear by 10mm/1cm and use a 120 x 60 x 17" front tire...I then plan to buy a second side stand which I will shorten and use on the bike when it is in this lowered condition (I then can use the std side stand when the bike is in a higher height adjustment setting)...

hope this helps....

P.S...If you want to get even lower that the 10mm/1cm in front and/or rear you could do so ...for example...you could use a 120 x 60 x 17" front tire and then lower the front forks by lowering the front hugger/fender closer to the front tire of lower profile (by removing the front fork springs you could put the front wheel assy into maximum compression to make sure every thing clears...you may be able to gain a few more mm(s) this way....on the rear; you could eliminate the rear hugger and also remove the rear shock spring to put the rear end in maximum compression, again to check for clearances...again you may gain some more mm(s)....

this would allow you to lower the bike to its max without drastic changes to the geometry....

the big problems in lowering the bike: side stand needs to be modified to allow bike to be safely parked...and loosing lean angle clearances so the body work and/or bike parts dont touch down when riding/cornering, leading to damage of the bike and/or crashing and getting a big boo-boo....

:)

8o

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Don't bother with any of that faffing around and get yourself a pair of these ....

:lol :lol

Al:p

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Many thanks to you all for the advice. As I will have problems getting toe sliders for the proposed ex-Slade boots it is 10mm down on the front forks this weekend and see how I go. By the way I am 5'6" so in the same ballpark as yourselves.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
4 penneth worth

Lupus

Personally I have no problem with the yoke drop. I've got a 28" inside leg and have no probs getting foot down. Had 2 RSVs as last bikes and they were a bit of a hand - full if not completely upright. Benelli is a cinch in comparison. Just dont go trying to do a 3 point turn!!!!

Only thing I would say is get the shop to check the left switchgear. It gets VVVVV close to the top side of the left fairing on full lock after a yoke drop....and the space isn't that generous to start with.
. Just get check it doesn't hit before you ride away

Daotoys1

I use a 120/70 and obviously had no grounding probs with the yoke drop. A 120/60 would surely upset the somewhat already delicate nature of the suspension even more..especially coupled with shortened steering angle.

BigAl

Like the boots. Fortunately for me they would probably come up to my nether regions and with the laces could fashion a kind of string bikini type under garment
< Best Alan Patridge voice> Hmmmmmmm sexy
:rollin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Something told me that the 'thong' was going to get mentioned again when I posted those boots:lol

I might be getting myself a bit of a reputation here:eek :p

Al

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

this would allow you to lower the bike to its max without drastic changes to the geometry....
depends on what you call drastic ;)

I think its already quite drastic if you do all the stuff you propose ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Well, Al, buddy, I'm afraid I'm gonna have to "one-up" you on those boots. Now THESE are some cool boots :eek :

:lol Oh, and yes, I took the photo - at MotoGP Laguna Seca 2005.

cheers -
mark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Well buddy, I'm always the first to say when I've been beaten hands down and this is one of those times;)

What a lovely looking pair that girl has ..... oh, wait a minute ... I think it might be an orange:rollin

I'd love to see any more pics that you have of Laguna. It looks an amazing track to watch the racing from:D

Al

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Hey Al, yeah, I shoulda tried to get her to let me photo the fruit unwrapped but a kick from one of those boots could have been deadly :rollin
Let me work on setting up a photo gallery on Yahoo with some of my pics from last year. I'll post a link when it's done.

cheers!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

a kick from one of those boots could have been deadly :rollin
There are people who would pay good money to get kicked in the plums by the girls in those boots:eek:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Hey Al, I've created a photo album on Yahoo with a few pics from last year's MotoGP at Laguna Seca. Some pics of
different points on the track, some pics of exotic birds ;) a couple of cool ones of KR and KR, Jr. with their MotoGP race bikes from different eras. Gives you a little flavor of the place.

Here's the link:
pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/du...r=/7c70scd

cheers -
mark

BTW, the chap on the Brutale that's loaded to the gills is me. And in the group shot of 5 guys, I'm the one in the front with the MotoGP hat. Those guys are my riding mates from our trip to Catalunya last year.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts