Benelli Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Results

Oh, sorry, forgot, I finished 1st overall in the BEAR's class and 2 overall in the Thunderbike (singles, twins & triples) class, got beaten by an ex Japan National Championship, full HRC SP1.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Results

Right-O Johnny-O!!! Thanks for the pix, too! Are you still racing a RS? Or is the TNT your new choice of weapon?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Racing

Thanks. Na the boss sold the RS, this was just a shake-down to see how the TnT would go, not sure if I will continue with it, I might finish the state Championship seeing as I am leading the BEAR's class and second in the Thunderbikes.

In the National BEAR's Championship, the RSV's and 999's will smoke it on the track. In the National Naked class, the FZ1 & Tuono will make life hard.

The TnT is a fantastic street bike but that long stroke engine is not suited to the track, I went backward with the RS inlet cam, for sure it gave more power but it shifted it up the rev range making it too hard to control on a tight track. Long stroke engines have heavy crankshafts...... slow to get revving, takes too long to slow down, too much weight, too much gyroscopic mass to get turned in the corners. It is beneficial on the street but not on the track.

I had to ride it like a tractor.... low rpm and short shift; on a tight track I never went any lower than third gear.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Racing

I see. Never had the pleasure to ride a TnT... I suppose it'd be great to take my wife out to town at night with. BTW, I like your number plates... very old school. :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Numberplates????

Old school?!!!!! :x Whaddya mean? What else can you do with a naked bike? ;)

Once I get the rear cowl from the production Cafe Racer, I'll make something a little more modern.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Numberplates????

congrats on those results Johnny considering all the potential trouble that could happen with the bike. Did you put a different set of forks in?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Race bike suspension

The bike was set up in Cafe Racer spec, basically Tornado front end and Tornado RS rear shock.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Race bike suspension

Very cool,

Great job. I race gp bikes, so I couldn't imagine racing the TNT, but I bet it was a blast. I would think that it turns in really fast and would be hard to beat on a tight and twisty track.

Where do you race?

Thanks,

Joel

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Racing

Hey Joel, the TnT1130 isn't a very good track bike actually, aside from being a little too heavy, the long stroke engine does not lend itself to race track duties as well as the 900 engine does; I reckon a TnT900 would be fantastic.

As you would be aware, a long stroke engine has larger crankshaft flywheels.... they take longer to get up to speed, longer to slow-down; big rear wheel lock-ups when changing down, even with the idle turned up to 2000rpm, I'm going to try 3000rpm next time out. I have a 900 slipper clutch that I can put in but I don't think that is the complete answer.

A big crank has a lot of spinning mass that takes a lot of effort to get it to change directions, so a tight track is hard work; can't wait for the Phillip Island round of the Championships, it might find its legs there?

I've run it on the dyno, it makes 150hp but fully kitted ZX7's & SP1's make about one and a half bike lengths on it down the main straights; might be their lighter weight helping the acceleration factor?

I've been racing Superbikes for 20 years, I started in 1986 on a Yamaha FZ750 which I rode to work and raced for 3 years!

I've ridden in the TT (Isle of Man) in 1990 on a GSXR750

I raced at Laguna Seca (USA) on a ZZR600 in 1990.

Started racing the Australian Superbike Championships in 1994 on a Honda RC30.

Finished 9th (1st privateer) in the '95 Aust Champs riding a '91 ZXR750.

Rode the Phillip Island rounds of the World Superbikes in '95 & '96, best finish was 19th.

Rode an R1 for a team based in Dallas, Texas in 2000/2001, rode at Hallet (Oklahoma), MotorSport Ranch (Fort Worth) and Daytona (yeh on the banking); finished 4th in the unlimited Pro GP race in the rain!

Finished 2nd in the 2004 Australian Bears Formula 1, Production Championship on our demo Tornado. A cheating MV SPR beat me >:

Finished 2nd in the Victorian Thunderbike Champs in 2005 on a stock RS, got beaten by an ex Steve Martin factory 998 >:

@#%$ I better get back to work.... see ya

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Racing

Hey Johnny O,

That's sounds like quite a racing history to me. Big, fat congrats on all your efforts and especially qualifying, racing and finishing at Philip Island WSBK. That's very cool for sure. Surviving the Isle of Man isn't too shabby either.:D

Good luck in the future and I can't wait to hear more reports of your TNT exploits on the track.

Best,

Joel

1 - 11 of 11 Posts